It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:25 am

Voicing Controls help

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

TomBentley

Voicing Controls help

PostTue Aug 02, 2016 3:24 pm

If this is in the wrong section please feel free to move it. Attempting to balance the pedal ranks on EM Skinner set. Audio setup is as follows: Using HW advanced edition, three B2031A's, one Velodyne 12" servo sub with two JBL towers attached, 8 channels via ESI Gigaport HD+. Routing: B2031A's on 1/2, 3/.4, 5/6 as main (Stereo output group Deafult Main), Subwoofer (also Stereo output) receives all pedal ranks with cutoff at 70hz passthru to an amp and JBL towers (output group "Pedal"), In attempt to see signal strength visually I employ Reaper so I can see the meters respond to each note, etc. The problem I am trying to solve is that the signal to channel 8 seems somewhat reduced in comparison to channel 7 output and is particularly noticeable on Note F above Low C. To make sure it wasn't a hardware issue I remapped pedal output to a keyboard versus the pedalboard and received the same result. After reading the voicing section in the user guide it would appear that I can alter this via the Voicing Control pane subset :"Overall Stereo Balance". I am confused tho as to how to manipulate the slider up? or "down" to in effect reduce output to 7 and increase audio to 8. I hesitate to "experiment" without asking first as I have very limit3ed understanding of HZ and the like. I would be happy if I could effect even just the one note F above Low C as channel 8 nearly disappears on that note. Am I thinking in the right direction? Thanks for any input you may have.

Tom

mdyde

Re: Voicing Controls help

PostWed Aug 03, 2016 3:24 am

Hello Tom,

Moving the 'Overall: stereo balance (percent)' voicing adjustment's sliders upwards increases the volume of the right channel (channel 8 on the audio interface in your case) and decreases the volume of the left channel (your channel 7). Moving it downwards does the opposite.

TomBentley wrote: I hesitate to "experiment" without asking first as I have very limit3ed understanding of HZ and the like.

There's no problem with just experimenting with the sliders, since you can always press the 'Reset' button on the voicing screen to return them all (for the selected adjustment) to their default positions. Alternatively, you could use the 'Organ settings | Reset all voicing' at any point if you wished.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

dhm

PostWed Aug 03, 2016 4:29 am

I'm not sure if this is relevant, but be aware that this interface will not output all 8 channels at the same bit-rate. See the 3rd bullet-point here under "Features": http://www.esi-audio.com/products/gigaporthd+/
Douglas Henn-Macrae
Authorized Hauptwerk Reseller
http://www.midi-organs.eu

TomBentley

PostWed Aug 03, 2016 5:24 am

Thank you Martin and Douglas for your response. Martin, I will do some experimenting then and see if I can smooth it out a bit.

Douglas I do realize that the gigaport HD has that issue but there is a work around. You can lock the gigaport at 44.1 and 8 channels, but then you have to adjust the master tuning of the sample set up 150 cents to correct. I do plan on replacing that interface in the near future because of that reason. But for now I do the work around while scouring ebay and the internet for a better interface --- looking at either a Behringer FCA610 or perhaps Motu 828 MKII usb but haven't made a decision. My budget on retirement doesn't allow currently for a big investment so I have to bide my time and wait for something to come down the road.

Thank you both for taking the time to help me out and for your advice.

Tom

Return to Amplification