It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:54 pm

Upgrading from 1010LT

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

jwillans

Upgrading from 1010LT

PostSat Sep 10, 2016 5:37 am

I am upgrading various bits and bobs in my HW console this year and I am considering whether there is any benefit to swapping the 1010LT sound card for a more contemporary alternative. The 1010LT has worked flawlessly, but I am aware that it has a gone out of support with m-audio and is not by any measure the latest / greatest technology. On the other hand, I am struggling to be convinced that a more modern alternative will make a noticeable difference to the audio quality and realism. Therefore I am looking for opinions, particularly from anyone that has made the transition from a 1010LT, on whether an upgrade in this department would be money well spent. Note that I do not need 10 channels, 5 would be adequate for my current and future needs, and I use the ubiquitous (in the HW community) Behringer 2031A for the main audio channels.

Thanks in anticipation,

James

IainStinson

Re: Upgrading from 1010LT

PostSat Sep 10, 2016 11:22 am

I replaced my M-Audio 1010 (not quite the same) with Focusrite Saffire Pro 40s. I wanted more channels.

The Pro40 works well and sounds clearer and brighter. The cost is lower than some other professional interfaces. I bought an FireWire card with the TI chipset since there had been adverse comments about other FireWire cards for Windows here and elsewhere.

You might find this of some use. http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13169&hilit=+Sound+card

I bought from Scan Computers in the UK and found them knowledgeable and helpful.

Iain

ArnoldOrgans

PostMon Sep 12, 2016 7:10 pm

One of our builds had a 1010 LT. When we upgraded the computer we also switched to a Behringer FCA610. There was a noticeable improvement in sound.
Matt Arnold
http://www.customorganworks.com
info@customorganworks.com
Authorized reseller of Hauptwerk, Milan Digital Audio, Inspired Acoustics, CLR Resources and Sonus Paradisi.

1961TC4ME

PostTue Sep 20, 2016 9:32 pm

ArnoldOrgans wrote:One of our builds had a 1010 LT. When we upgraded the computer we also switched to a Behringer FCA610. There was a noticeable improvement in sound.

Not trying to be a wise guy here and don't want to offend anyone.... I too have a 1010LT and feel it's audio is very good. The only issue I have here with this comparison is when it comes to accurate comparisons I like to start as you do with a stock engine and you add performance parts, then evaluate the outcome, not first change the engine to a higher performance version and then evaluate a certain part in question, that doesn't tell you much about the part you're trying to evaluate. Here an 'upgraded' computer (as in new and better performing?) AND a different soundcard isn't a real fair evaluation as it's like going from a 15 year old car with a smaller engine and 250,000 miles on it to a new Cadillac with the supercharged engine, of course you're going to see an improvement.

I can say this: I went from the same computer with a Sound Blaster card to a 1010LT, was a direct and fair comparison changing just one component, and the sound difference was night and day.

I'd say unless you're actually looking to upgrade to a new and better performing computer that will no longer accept the 1010LT, I think it still holds its ground in audio quality up against the others quite well. :wink:

If you're simply looking to improve sound quality and realism, take a closer closer at your routing and audio arrangement layout which can also make a night and day difference.

Marc

jwillans

PostWed Sep 21, 2016 1:54 pm

Thanks for the feedback Gents.

Marc - You raise a good point and I am minded to stick with the 1010LT for the time being (and invest in another sample set!).

magnaton

PostWed Sep 21, 2016 2:41 pm

jwillans wrote:Note that I do not need 10 channels, 5 would be adequate for my current and future needs, and I use the ubiquitous (in the HW community) Behringer 2031A for the main audio channels.

jwillans wrote:Marc - You raise a good point and I am minded to stick with the 1010LT for the time being (and invest in another sample set!).

Also consider adding just another set of Behringer 2031A monitors to further divide the sound out of your current organs. If you can find these on sale, you could get 4 (2 sets) for the price of new premium sample set. You'd be surprised how more realistic a same sample set becomes when spread out to multiple speakers. For example, a celeste and its mated unison rank on separate channels so the undulation happens in the air!

Just my .02

Danny B.

1961TC4ME

PostThu Sep 22, 2016 10:02 am

jwillans wrote:I am minded to stick with the 1010LT for the time being (and invest in another sample set!).

That's what I'm gonna do! :D

Marc

ArnoldOrgans

PostThu Sep 22, 2016 1:52 pm

Marc,
I apologize for the delay in response but I wanted to do some testing. The old computer with the 1010LT was removed to upgrade from Hard Drive and fans to SSD and fan free cooling. The new computer is actually a downgrade in CPU and RAM. We would have stuck with the 1010LT if the new computer could support it. Both computers are using the same sampleset and voicing.

Since the old computer is still working I put it back in place with the FCA610 (running off of USB instead of Firewire) and still had an improvement in sound. With this said there could be something wrong with the functioning 1010LT (it sounds the same it has since the beginning) or maybe it is missing the most current driver. We also had to switch from RCA to 1/4 cables between the AI and amps (made out of the same insulated cable). But I can stand by the statement that the new interface sounds better. The difference is enough to think someone did significant voicing or upgraded speakers.

Of course since we have only used one 1010LT in a build I would like to hear from others who have possibly upgraded.

Matt
Matt Arnold
http://www.customorganworks.com
info@customorganworks.com
Authorized reseller of Hauptwerk, Milan Digital Audio, Inspired Acoustics, CLR Resources and Sonus Paradisi.

TheOrganDoc

PostThu Sep 22, 2016 2:21 pm

Arnold,
May I make a few comments on the Audio subject,
1) The Better the Audio quality that a sound board outputs,
----The Better the Sound Quality that You Will Hear, Guaranteed !

2) The better the Recorded (Sample set) Quality ,
----The More Realism, that you will Experience with a higher end sound board !----

From what I have read in the past,
the 1010 LT is, and was not a very good soundboard to start with, note the RCA connectors !
There are many many, much better soundboards !

If you would like to chat directly,
I recently tried a new audio setup in HW,
that has provided even greater realism
that I could share with you,
please DM me if you are interested !
Last edited by TheOrganDoc on Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mel..............TheOrganDoc...............

1961TC4ME

PostThu Sep 22, 2016 4:37 pm

ArnoldOrgans wrote:Marc,
I apologize for the delay in response but I wanted to do some testing. The old computer with the 1010LT was removed to upgrade from Hard Drive and fans to SSD and fan free cooling. The new computer is actually a downgrade in CPU and RAM. We would have stuck with the 1010LT if the new computer could support it. Both computers are using the same sampleset and voicing.

Since the old computer is still working I put it back in place with the FCA610 (running off of USB instead of Firewire) and still had an improvement in sound. With this said there could be something wrong with the functioning 1010LT (it sounds the same it has since the beginning) or maybe it is missing the most current driver. We also had to switch from RCA to 1/4 cables between the AI and amps (made out of the same insulated cable). But I can stand by the statement that the new interface sounds better. The difference is enough to think someone did significant voicing or upgraded speakers.

Of course since we have only used one 1010LT in a build I would like to hear from others who have possibly upgraded.

Matt

Hi Matt,

No problem, I figured there was probably more to the story so thanks for clarifying, and again I'm not trying to poke holes in anything and didn't want to sound as if I was doing that. I too have looked into new sound cards but wonder if it's worth the effort as I'm quite happy with the way things are now. If you feel there's a good chance the FCA610 will improve the sound over the 1010LT then perhaps I'll look into it. In any case, I guess as long as I'm happy with the sound, I for now will go the route of invest in more sample sets. :D

Marc

organtechnology

PostThu Sep 22, 2016 6:03 pm

I strongly suspect that as the D/A-A/D chip manufacturers have improved so has the quality of the sound from inexpensive ASIO modules. The equivalent sound that we currently hear was probably much more expensive just 5 years ago. Just my 2© worth.

Thomas
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

1961TC4ME

PostThu Sep 22, 2016 8:10 pm

Looking at FAC610 it's only 6 channels in but 10 channels out. I'd want more like at least 8 and 8. They have quite a number of offerings. For HW use, what would be the next step up their lineup?

Marc

dhm

PostFri Sep 23, 2016 2:16 am

1961TC4ME wrote:Looking at FAC610 it's only 6 channels in but 10 channels out.
I'd want more like at least 8 and 8.
Marc

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but why would you need any inputs at all for use with Hauptwerk?
Douglas Henn-Macrae
Authorized Hauptwerk Reseller
http://www.midi-organs.eu

NickNelson

PostFri Sep 23, 2016 5:21 am

dhm wrote:Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but why would you need any inputs at all for use with Hauptwerk?

My first thought too.

I suppose you might have an external reverb device and want to mix its outputs back into the main feeds.
I occasionally use a single mic input for room resonance measurements.

I can't imagine how six or more inputs would be used, and would be interested to know.

Nick

telemanr

PostFri Sep 23, 2016 7:04 am

You absolutely don't need any inputs for HW.
The trouble is that most, if not all, of the higher end units have them and you're paying for them even though you don't need them.
Rob Enns
Next

Return to Amplification