It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:49 am

presonus speaker setup

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

fermata

presonus speaker setup

PostSat Oct 08, 2016 7:13 pm

I'm thinking of getting Presonus E5 near field monitors with Presonus subwoofer T8 (or the E8 and T10 models). Does anyone have these speakers and have any opinions about them? I found them reviewed on the web and liked what was said. Alternatively, can someone recommend other speakers they like for a simple stereo setup? My living room is 25'x19' and ceiling is 8'.

rauschzimbel3

Re: presonus speaker setup

PostMon Oct 17, 2016 2:02 pm

I have four Presonus E8 speakers in surround configuration along with a Temblor 10 subwoofer. My music room is 26' x 18' x 7.5', fully carpeted. I use the Caen, Salisbury, Rotterdam (main organ) and Stade sample sets, and have been using this setup for 16 months.I am very pleased with the Presonus speakers, purchased from B&H, and would go for this setup again with no hesitation.

I auditioned the E8 and E5 speakers locally before purchasing, and thought the E5's were perhaps more more pleasant and neutral sounding than the E8's, but since the E8's were on sale and less expensive at the time that E5's, and keeping the size of my room in mind, I went for the E8's. I listened to Yamaha, JBLand Mackie monitors at the same time and much preferred the sound of the Presonus, both E5 and E8. Transients seemed clearer and the sound less colored.

I suspect the E5's would have been adequate, as the E8's are plenty loud. The Temblor 10 likewise is barely idling and will rattle everything in the room!

fermata

PostMon Oct 17, 2016 10:20 pm

rauschzimbel3:

Thanks for your reply! I actually listened to a "side by side" comaprison of the E5 and the E8 online through my computer speakers, and could hear a distinct difference, and I preferred the E5, becasue it sounded tight and precise, whereas that the E8 sounded bigger and emptier. So much for auditioning speakers online...

The only reason I would go for the E8 is that one engineer who thoroughly reviewed the E5 said the E8 was pretty much the same only it had more bass, and a little "more" in every respect than the E5. Since I do not want a subwoofer, I will need to get all my bass from the nearfields. What do you think of the bass on your E8s, without the subwoofer?

The Eris series has plummeted in price, at least at Amazon.com, probably because Presonus has come out with a new series -- the Sceptre. I think it is supposed to be better, it's certainly way pricier.

rauschzimbel3

PostMon Oct 17, 2016 11:43 pm

I wouldn't use the E8's without subwoofer for a VPO. The low bass is too important. The E8's don't sound bad without the sub, but they're definitely lacking bass. The tech specs say 35Hz-22kHz, but that is probably at least -10dB, which means the 16' octave is largely missing. I can't imagine any speaker much smaller than 12" would provide adequate organ bass. My stereo speakers are high-quality 12". They sound great for recordings, but they don't have the bass the subwoofer provides.

Either the Temblor 8 or 10 would give adequate bass, and the E5's would likely be adequate with a sub. No sub, you need a full-range speaker which the E5 or E8 is not, at least for organ.

Hope that helps.

rauschzimbel3

PostMon Oct 17, 2016 11:48 pm

Just a thought: B&H has an E5/T10 package for $500. The E5's would be perfectly fine for the rear (surround) channels. A pair of E8's for the front would bring the total to $1000. I think that would be hard to match.

fermata

PostTue Oct 18, 2016 10:46 pm

Hm, well, in that case, maybe I'll get two E5s and aT8, but a surround system is more than I want to deal with. If the Denon wireless tramitter works really well, then I might consider surround, we'll see. Thanks for your input and ideas, Rausch.

RichardW

PostWed Oct 19, 2016 8:44 am

The only way you will find out if you really want a sub-woofer is by trying it out.

I used some speakers with 5" drivers in a moderately large box and they worked with my "stage piano" (~30Hz bottom end) quite well. They had a low frequency point of slightly above 45 Hz, if memory serves. If you use 8" drivers you should be able to cover every harmonic of every note on an organ except the fundamental of the bottom octave of a 32' pipe. All that octave's other harmonics will be covered and that is what makes them sound different.

Some people rate that range very highly and insist on a sub-woofer but, I have to say, I find it somewhat over-rated. As pointed out above, if you get a sub, it rattles everything and you end up turning it down. So why go to all the trouble and expense?

I did eventually opt for a sub because it allowed me to use even smaller bookshelf speakers, with 5" drivers, in surround. 8" speakers would have been physically problematic in the rear but there were spaces for a sub. It took quite a long time to get the sub balanced with the other speakers and to stop everything (piano, door-knob, windows, radiator etc) from rattling.

My personal choice would be either four 8" speakers with as good a bottom end as you can find or four 5" speakers and a sub. This is all very subjective, though. It is one of those areas where you will find more opinions than people. :)

Regards,
Richard

scottherbert

PostWed Oct 19, 2016 8:53 am

Richard said; "It is one of those areas where you will find more opinions than people. :D "

BOY is that the truth!!!

~Scott
"Life is just a dream, it is in death that we truly awaken!"

fermata

PostFri Oct 21, 2016 6:58 am

Thanks very much, Richard! After your comments, I'm back to going with the 8" speakers. Whew! I do not want a sub for the very reasons you mentioned. I suspect that the bottom fundamental of a 32' pipe is not something I would enjoy enduring. Even the low C on our church organ's 16' Bourdon is barely tolerble (to my ears).

scottherbert

PostFri Oct 21, 2016 3:06 pm

Technically fermata, you actually wouldn't HEAR the fundamental of the low C on a 32' stop, you would just feel the sound waves as they vibrate the fluids of your internal organs at 16 cycles per second! A simple way to simulate it would be to draw that 16' Bourdon, and play the low C and low G together. This would create a "resultant" 32' with the 2 notes "beating down" to 16Hz. You may like it better than the 16'. :wink:

~Scott
"Life is just a dream, it is in death that we truly awaken!"

Romanos

PostMon Nov 21, 2016 10:31 am

Take a look at my setup:

http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=13923

I have E5's and I like them. If I had a bigger budget, I would go for 8's however, just to add more gravitas to the manual sound. Either that, or, instead of my one large sub for the pedal, I would like to have 3 stereo pair each with a matching sub. The nice thing about the presonus subs is that they have XLR inputs/outputs and you could then have 3 subs and route everything to 3 pair of monitors (each with their own sub for a balanced sound).

The E5's work well, and are plenty loud for a home environment. I hardly ever drive them as hard as I could... That said, they do shine more (at least with my sound card) when they are turned up a bit since you hear more details that way.

I will also posit this thought-- if I had to do over again, I wish I had stereo subs.... I would have gone with a cheaper sub but have two of them, one on each side of the room. (or at least one dedicated to manuals, and one to pedal) I love my sub, but I am sometimes acutely aware that the bass is coming from one side only.

Return to Amplification