It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:13 am

Yearly Bonus - suggestions for Chamade speakers?

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

ChangedForever

Yearly Bonus - suggestions for Chamade speakers?

PostWed Oct 26, 2016 1:29 pm

Hi gang; getting close to our yearly company announced bonus; if we get one - if we DO, then I have to wait till the supervisor tells me what kind of a percentage I get at the end of the year; good boy = 4-6%, bad boy = 2-3%. Hopefully I'm considered a good boy as I never come in late or leave early.

During the past 1 1/2 years I've accumulated 4 Behringer B2031A's and two 18" B52 1000W subs. 2 of the Truth's are on the console (3'- 4' from me) and 2 more truths are about 6' behind me on either side of the 12' X 30' room; the B52's are behind me on the far end of the room. I have not experimented with audio grouping / routing yet, but get a good cathedral effect from a variety of Hauptwerk virtual instruments. Once I get Chamade set up, I'll need to invest time in grouping per the hints / tips in the forums.

Interested in finally doing my Chamade with the bonus **IF** I get one; would be limited to about $1,000.00 to invest. Using an UltraLite-mk3 Hybrid 8x8 Audio Interface driving all the speakers, so I have two ports left on the Ultralite. Should I invest in something better than my current Ultralite to support more active ports and use 4 more speakers for a Chamade, or would two active bookshelf speakers be sufficient (keeping my current Ultralight)? Any recommendations on the Chamade speakers; brand name / size? I was intending on placing them on the back wall @ about 6' high between the Subs (4" off the floor).

Thanks,
Mark

dhm

Re: Yearly Bonus - suggestions for Chamade speakers?

PostWed Oct 26, 2016 2:26 pm

ChangedForever wrote:Using an UltraLite-mk3 Hybrid 8x8 Audio Interface driving all the speakers, so I have two ports left on the Ultralite.

This interface has *ten* 1/4-inch analogue outputs, not 8.
Douglas Henn-Macrae
Authorized Hauptwerk Reseller
http://www.midi-organs.eu

magnaton

PostWed Oct 26, 2016 3:38 pm

dhm wrote:
ChangedForever wrote:Using an UltraLite-mk3 Hybrid 8x8 Audio Interface driving all the speakers, so I have two ports left on the Ultralite.

This interface has *ten* 1/4-inch analogue outputs, not 8.

Not to cut hairs, but 14 audio outputs if you include the headphone jack. I know because I'm using all of them on mine :D
10 TRS
2 S/PDIF
2 (L & R headphone)

All are recognized by the MOTU ASIO driver.

brooke.benfield

PostWed Oct 26, 2016 6:01 pm

My system at the church uses 6 stereo pairs of Behringer 2031A / keyboard. The Chamade division, comprised of 16', 8' & 4' horizontal reeds (it's the PAB sample set), shares the 4th manual with the Solo division and you would be amazed at the amount of sound those speakers produce when they are drawn. There's no shortage of power in that 500+ seat space.

Don't hesitate to ask the different vendors out there if they would be willing to discount since you would be buying more than a single speaker.
Brooke Benfield
Organist, Gethsemane Lutheran Church
Portland OR

magnaton

PostWed Oct 26, 2016 10:42 pm

Hi Mark:

For your "Chamade project" I take it you want a couple of dedicated speakers to route the big solo reeds to? Guess what, I've done that! And the speakers I used . . . the Behringer 2031A monitors :shock:

I had 3 pairs (6 channels) where I experimented with the multi-channel routing algorithms or divvying up ranks between separate stereo channels and 2 additional channels dedicated to En Chamade rank(s) of various sample sets. I used the EQ section in the CueMix program that comes with the MOTU audio interfaces to tweak those channels just a bit so the Festival Trumpet or Tuba Imperial could really sing. It will take some adjusting because these solo reeds now have a single sound source and you still want them to blend with a big ensemble. I also set these 2 channels as MONO so that I could use the C-C# routing scheme. This is the diatonic separation that forces the C side to the left and C# side to the right. So you get the L & R ping-pong effect which is somewhat representative if you've ever been close enough to observe a real En Chamade.

I enjoyed this configuration for along while, but later decided to move these dedicated 2031A monitors into 'active service' by adding them to my standard array. At that time it gave me 4 pairs (8 channels) of which to assign ranks or further spread the individual notes.

The take away here is I would recommend you purchase more 2031A monitors which will give you some flexibility in case you want to try something different later on.

If you are looking for a good deal, here are 3 pairs in Savannah, GA that were listed awhile back.
http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=15380

Want to expand even more? Your UltraLite MK3 has an S/PDIF port where you can route 2 additional channels. You need a good quality RCA cable to connect to a stereo receiver deck or pre-amp/amp combo that has this port (as an input). Many A/V home stereos had these ports available, maybe they still do. I picked up a nice Yamaha home receiver at a neighborhood garage sale for $35. From here you can power a pair of passive speakers of your choosing or how about the Behringer 2301P monitors! They are identical to the "A" model just lacking the internal amps. I have 4 of these on my rig being used in the 'surround' position in parallel about 10ft and 20ft back from the console and about 14 inches from the ceiling. For this application, its nice only having to deal with standard 2 pair speaker wire. Unfortunately this model has been discontinued by Behringer. A HW forum member in Atlanta did advertise some forsale here:
http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=15446

How do I use these? On surround sound sets I route the reflective (surround) samples as you'd expect, another (non-surround) set, I route a solo reed of sorts and chimes, on another set the blower and reservoir start up noise so it sounds far away (like it should) :wink: , on my TO set; traps and toys for that pizza parlor inspiration.

Regards,

Danny B.
Last edited by magnaton on Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChangedForever

PostThu Oct 27, 2016 3:24 pm

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the feedback; I stand corrected - I now understand there are more than 8 outputs on the Ultra-lite MK3. I need review my own equipment before posting a question; I just thought I'd post a quick question about it to see what others were running and maybe make some decisions from the feedback.

Danny, I'm unable to find the 20431A monitors on the internet; do you have a link to them or have they been discontinued?..

"For your "Chamade project" I take it you want a couple of dedicated speakers to route the big solo reeds to? Guess what, I've done that! And the speakers I used . . . the Behringer 20431A monitors"

dhm

PostThu Oct 27, 2016 4:29 pm

I'm not aware of any Behringer "20431A" speakers. I think the "4" is a typo.
Also, the B2031P (referred to above) was discontinued a couple of years ago.
Douglas Henn-Macrae
Authorized Hauptwerk Reseller
http://www.midi-organs.eu

magnaton

PostThu Oct 27, 2016 6:41 pm

ChangedForever wrote:Gentlemen,
Danny, I'm unable to find the 20431A monitors on the internet; do you have a link to them or have they been discontinued?..

Yes, that was typo. :oops: Should be 2031A. I've edited my original post.

Thanks,

Danny B.

TheOrganDoc

PostFri Oct 28, 2016 12:53 pm

I have been utilizing 8 B2031A's for Years,
But from past experience, and what I have seen in commercial VTPO Installations,
I would recommend utilizing at least one" professional sound cabinet on your back wall"
Containing at least a Horn Midrange,and a tweeter, with amp.[/u
[u]for results that will "Knock your socks Off" ! :roll:
Mel..............TheOrganDoc...............

B777Captain

PostMon Nov 07, 2016 1:29 am

Doc....

Like What??? Do tell....

Pat
Pilot Southwest Airlines
Las Vegas, Nevada

TheOrganDoc

PostMon Nov 07, 2016 11:15 am

There are smaller, "Professional Sound Reinforcement Speaker Cabinets" that would have three way speaker systems utilizing, Horn Loaded Mid-range Speakers,
I'm sure that sound would knock your socks off, with sufficient amplification !

I think that only one would be needed as they are usually quite powerful, and a bit costly !
Mel..............TheOrganDoc...............

Return to Amplification