It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 7:53 pm

Best 32' flue for subwoofer testing?

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

RichardW

Re: Best 32' flue for subwoofer testing?

PostWed Nov 09, 2016 11:06 am

mnailor wrote:Well, testing with the 32' sine wave was ear-opening. In the 32' octave, I could hear the top few notes, but nothing below Bb.

That has been my experience as well. I play my system through one of these: http://www.bkelec.com/hifi/Sub_Woofers/XXLS400DF.htm that is supposed to go down to around the 20Hz mark. If I assume the frequency scale a physicist might use then the bottom octave will be from 16Hz to 32Hz.

That is why I have concluded that if you get some good 8", full range monitors, that go down to 35Hz then you will almost be as well off as those that buy a huge sub.

As ever, the only way to find out what suits you is by listening to it. No amount of theory and numbers can replace that.

Regards,
Richard

scottherbert

PostWed Nov 09, 2016 2:10 pm

mnailor wrote:Thanks, wasn't stressed - that was just an unsuccessful attempt at humor...

Testing with real 32' samples went well. Now to get the new console cabinet from Organtechnology unpacked tomorrow. Playing Caen on the digital piano just isn't that much fun.

P.S. As you said, I can hear the 32' Bourdon on Caen just fine all the way down.

Aaaah, like 'irony'? I get it. Around here, "irony" is just how our water tastes! :lol:

I never know, some people DO expect to hear it all, and we all try to help out in areas that we can. :wink:

~Scott
"Life is just a dream, it is in death that we truly awaken!"

scottherbert

PostWed Nov 09, 2016 2:15 pm

RichardW wrote:
mnailor wrote:Well, testing with the 32' sine wave was ear-opening. In the 32' octave, I could hear the top few notes, but nothing below Bb.

That has been my experience as well. I play my system through one of these: http://www.bkelec.com/hifi/Sub_Woofers/XXLS400DF.htm that is supposed to go down to around the 20Hz mark. If I assume the frequency scale a physicist might use then the bottom octave will be from 16Hz to 32Hz.

That is why I have concluded that if you get some good 8", full range monitors, that go down to 35Hz then you will almost be as well off as those that buy a huge sub.

As ever, the only way to find out what suits you is by listening to it. No amount of theory and numbers can replace that.

Regards,

Thanks Richard, as I said, it is the 'grin factor', or what makes you smile!

~Scott
"Life is just a dream, it is in death that we truly awaken!"
Previous

Return to Amplification