It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:39 am

RME Fireface 802 headphone outputs question

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

Eric Sagmuller

RME Fireface 802 headphone outputs question

PostSun Feb 05, 2017 4:09 pm

RME 802 for example has 8 analog outputs on the rear and 4 on the front via two stereo headphone jacks. What I'm wondering is can the 4 front channels be set up (independently) like the rear to feed 4 more studio monitors (of course unbalanced outputs)? Or do the front jacks only mirror the rear as one can select. The answer is probably there, but it hasn't been clear to me.

Thanks,
Eric

johnh

Re: RME Fireface 802 headphone outputs question

PostSun Feb 05, 2017 4:16 pm

The RME site says:

12 Outputs . On the rear: 8 balanced TRS. On the front: Two hi-power TRS stereo phones outputs provide high volumes even with hi-impedance headphones (playback channels 9/10 and 11/12).

I would take that to mean that they are independent.

---john.

mnailor

PostSun Feb 05, 2017 5:07 pm

I have the UFX rather than 802, but it looks like the same basic design. My headphone outputs are separate destinations in the mixer, so you choose their inputs independently from the other output mixes.

Eric Sagmuller

PostSun Feb 05, 2017 5:16 pm

Yeah that's the way I thought it probably worked, the UFX is very similar. There was another brand interface mentioned that apparently can only monitor the rear outputs, either in pairs or a mix down I think. I believe they also numbered the front jack in succession with the rear ones, as they were additional outputs.

Eric

mnailor

PostSun Feb 05, 2017 5:40 pm

You can download the 802 user manual from rme.com and verify. Their manuals are detailed about which ports do what.

Eric Sagmuller

PostSun Feb 05, 2017 5:45 pm

Great idea. I've been reading up on their products, but haven't checked the manuals.

Eric

Edit: Took a little bit to figure out where the manual was, but it's all there as you say, and spells out clearly that headphones jacks can also be used as line outputs.

Return to Amplification