It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:55 am

Powering down...

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

OPUS1883

Powering down...

PostSat Feb 11, 2017 3:41 pm

Hi. I have just completed my hauptwerk console, and due to the way i had to fit everything into the back of the console, it is impossible to get to the power switches for the two amplifiers and motu midi interface. Just un-plugging it makes the speakers pop and i dont want to keep doing it for fear of damaging them. Is there anything on the market that will allow me to 'soft power down' the equipment?

Regards,
Chris

engrssc

Re: Powering down...

PostSun Feb 12, 2017 6:48 pm

IainStinson

OPUS1883

PostSun Feb 12, 2017 7:32 pm

Thanks. That's a great idea.

organtechnology

PostSun Feb 12, 2017 7:40 pm

The remote control device might be good for turning the units off and on but might not prevent the pop which is caused by a sudden change in the amplifier voltages at switch on and off. To test this theory, switch the amplifiers off with their own power switches and see if there are noises such as thumps and pops in speakers, if so, then they will not go away with the remote control. One solution is to substitute 5-10W 8 Ohm resistors for the speakers just before turn off and turn on and then disconnect the resistors and reconnect the speakers after the amps are on or off. Preferably in a manner that never presents an open or short to the amplifier output.

Thomas
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

engrssc

PostSun Feb 12, 2017 7:46 pm

Forgot UK runs on "high" voltage, but the idea is the same. In the USA, there is a similar product for outdoor use such as turning your outside Christmas decorations on/off from the comfort of your (organ) console. :roll: The power amps I have do not turn on instantly, but rather after a few seconds. Never any pops (or moms). :roll:
The only pops (or other noises) have come from the computer doing it's (wake up) things. Amps are sequenced last on, first off.

I use the ones I have for different purpose(s) and the original 12 V battery in the transmitter is still running fine after 2 + years. Just have to remember to keep returning the transmitter to the same place each time. Easy to misplace.

Rgds,
Ed

Return to Amplification