It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 6:12 pm

How to reduce the input level?

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

ludu

How to reduce the input level?

PostSun Feb 12, 2017 8:12 am

Hello,
My amplification system is very old, but it sounds very well. The only problem is a question of input. I have to put the audio trim to -24 dB in Hauptwerk and the volume to 80% or less. If not, the sound crackles. I would like to control the master volume with two thumb pistons (+ and -), but I cannot because it is not possible to set a value under -24 dB in HW. Do I need really a mixing console for such a little problem? Or is there a simpler solution?
Luc

mdyde

Re: How to reduce the input level?

PostSun Feb 12, 2017 8:19 am

Hello Luc,

Maybe there's a consumer/professional line level switch on your audio interface driver's control panel that might help?:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_level
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

mnailor

PostSun Feb 12, 2017 9:41 am

I have a couple of OAM samplesets where -24dB trim wasn't quite low enough (for my ears, not my amps), with the amp gains set at a good level for SP sets at their default trim of -10 dB. I can't remember to lower the volume slider every time I load an organ.

In Hauptwerk General Settings / Audio Routing, I set each channel's speaker level adjust to -6 dB so the loudest samplesets would be comfortable, and then adjusted the trim upward on other samplesets that became too quiet.

Reducing your per-channel levels should let you get the audio output below the -24 dB trim level.

ludu

PostSun Feb 12, 2017 11:09 am

Many thanks Martin & mnailor! When there is a problem with HW, there are always several ways to solve it.
Luc

Return to Amplification