It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:41 am

MONOPRICE 8-inch Powered Studio Monitor review

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

ArnoldOrgans

MONOPRICE 8-inch Powered Studio Monitor review

PostWed Feb 15, 2017 10:02 am

"Admin" please feel free to move this to "amplification"

After reading positive reviews online and on the forum I decided to give the Monoprice studio monitors a try. With the recent sale price being under $400 for 4 speakers delivered I figured if they were not acceptable for Hauptwerk speakers, they would be great for the shop or kids play room!

After a 24 hour beak in period I came to the following conclusion. The low end is a bit lacking and it is important to get the speakers in the right corner of the room for this problem to go away. They have more than enough volume for a standard house install. I did find when the volume is turned above 3/4 things get distorted and the woofer quickly becomes the weak point. I like the simple look of the enclosure. The overall sound is very bright. This is the biggest con and I feel comfortable saying this because I like my overall sound on the bright side. It seems like the tweeter is not properly pared and the only way I can see making this tolerable is by installing a resister. The speakers do have a HF level adjustment that goes to -2 db. My guess is this would have to go down to -10 to make things even. I also noticed that the woofer plays many of the highs and it gets a little "happy" on certain lows.

At the standard price I would use the Behringer B2031A as a comparable. The B2031A has more power, more adjustments and a much more even frequency response.

My overall thought is even at the great sale price I paid, I would not even consider these comparable to the same money spent on my current Yamaha speakers and amp in the shop. Spend a little more, buy the B2031A and be happy with your "affordable" sound. Plus many vendors will include a free 2 year warranty with the Behringer.

If anyone is interested in a good package deal on 4 Monoprice speakers feel free to email! Please keep in mind this is only the personal opinion of someone who has tried "many" other active and passive speaker options.
Matt Arnold
http://www.customorganworks.com
info@customorganworks.com
Authorized reseller of Hauptwerk, Milan Digital Audio, Inspired Acoustics, CLR Resources and Sonus Paradisi.

mdyde

Re: MONOPRICE 8-inch Powered Studio Monitor review

PostWed Feb 15, 2017 12:41 pm

[Topic moved here.]
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Romanos

Re: MONOPRICE 8-inch Powered Studio Monitor review

PostThu Mar 30, 2017 9:27 am

Thanks for this review. I do appreciate it. I'm always keen to go from 5" monitors to 8's however my budget is limited so I had wondered about these.

Return to Amplification