It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:20 am

Headphones

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

4AmericanClassics

Headphones

PostThu Feb 16, 2017 5:03 pm

Please advise me on your favorite headphones for Hauptwerk.

I have a Mac Book Pro 16GB RAM and i7 processor with 128 GB solid state drive used exclusively for Hauptwerk. I have the included St. Annes, and purchased the Evensong Schantz, and the CLR Aeolian-Skinner Murray Harris sample sets to get started.

profeluisegarcia

Re: Headphones

PostThu Feb 16, 2017 5:29 pm

From a great virtual organ expert: : We recommend the professional audio card RME series and the AKG Reference Headphone K702/712 for optimal sound and room impression. (Prof. Maier. Organ Art Media)
I got this K702 and I like it very much¡
Luis

4AmericanClassics

PostTue Feb 21, 2017 8:41 pm

Thanks Luis. I'll get the AKGs. I'm looking forward to hearing those organs.

engrssc

PostTue Feb 21, 2017 9:04 pm

I can vouch whole heartedly for the K712's.

These specs "speak" for themselves even tho no mention is made
about listening to virtual pipe organs ;n their marketing piece.

Features and Specifications
Product Model AKG K712 PRO Headphones Black
Frequency range/response 10 Hz - 39.8 kHz
Impedance 62 ohms
Weight 235 g
Active noise cancelling No
Built-in mic No
Colour Black
Headphone style Over Ear
Removable cable Yes
Wireless bluetooth No

Rgds,
Ed

tf11972

PostWed Feb 22, 2017 4:25 am

If you would afford, buy the AKG K-812. It's such an improvement against the K-712 which I had before. More clarity, bass and such a realism I have never heard before.
Best regards
Thomas

Forestpipes - Virtual Pipe Organs
https://forestpipes.de

engrssc

PostWed Feb 22, 2017 12:10 pm

tf11972 wrote:If you would afford, buy the AKG K-812. It's such an improvement against the K-712 which I had before..

Probably a good idea, but the operative word here is afford. 8)

Rgds,
Ed

jkinkennon

PostThu Feb 23, 2017 9:55 am

engrssc wrote:
tf11972 wrote:If you would afford, buy the AKG K-812. It's such an improvement against the K-712 which I had before..

Probably a good idea, but the operative word here is afford. 8)

Rgds,
Ed

Yes, afford. That amount would buy another 6 speakers if I needed them. I saw an Sound on Sound review that was great overall for the AKG K-812 but did mention excessive brightness.

engrssc

PostThu Feb 23, 2017 12:04 pm

So far, I don't find the K 712 to be excessive. Has quite good bass response and has a "transparency" that tends to make you forget you are listening to a headset. Quite comfortable to wear even after an hour or so. Altho quite big, they don't squeeze your brain. :roll:

Rgds,
Ed

James

PostThu Feb 23, 2017 1:11 pm

Does this mean that my wonderful 701's aren't any good any more? : (

engrssc

PostThu Feb 23, 2017 1:29 pm

James wrote:Does this mean that my wonderful 701's aren't any good any more? : (

I'm sure they are more than adequate and good as well. All of this "talk" is subjective similar to views of speakers. There are countless ideas and opinions about what each one considers to be "right". Same is true with many things, how about cars? When you drive a brand new (state of the art) car off of the dealer's lot, it becomes a used car subject to a newer, improved model for next year. My 2005 Prius with over 218,000 miles is "perfect" for me and I would only give it up if someone were willing to buy me a new one. (BTW, Car and Driver just voted the Prius as the number 1 most reliable car in America) and that is probably somewhat subjective as well.) I do like the 45+ MPG tho.

As I recently mentioned to Marc that I know of some folks that are "house poor" and I didn't want to become headphone poor. :roll:

Rgds,
Ed

4AmericanClassics

PostThu Feb 23, 2017 2:44 pm

Hi All, If given $1500, would you purchase headphones or speakers? If speakers, what do you recommend? I have purchased the Sonus Paradisi Oakland sample set because it is so highly recommended on this forum. I guess I would need a multi output interface and at least four speakers, because it has left, right, left rear, and right rear. There is also direct and diffuse. Do I need six speakers to use this sample set?

engrssc

PostThu Feb 23, 2017 3:18 pm

At best, headphones are a compromise being they only convey 2 channels. Even if the audio is mixed to give the space effect/illusion, they (mostly) still have only 2 inputs. The best advice speaker wise has always been driven by a given space both in a room and in your wallet with the ultimate object being as many as possible. And then there's this quality thing that clouds the issue. :o

Rgds,
Ed

1961TC4ME

PostThu Feb 23, 2017 5:25 pm

4AmericanClassics wrote:Hi All, If given $1500, would you purchase headphones or speakers? If speakers, what do you recommend? I have purchased the Sonus Paradisi Oakland sample set because it is so highly recommended on this forum. I guess I would need a multi output interface and at least four speakers, because it has left, right, left rear, and right rear. There is also direct and diffuse. Do I need six speakers to use this sample set?

If given $1500 I'd go speakers, which speakers is the next question and subject to much debate, probably would be the best you can get (whichever those are! :lol: ) for $1500, but would be speakers just because I'm just a speaker kind of person, I rarely use headphones. As far as the 6 channel SP sets, I have a couple myself and no you don't necessarily need 6 speakers as between the direct and diffuse sources you normally send both signals to the same speaker pairs then use the slider in the set to adjust between the mix of both signals to more diffuse vs. more direct and / or vice versa, or you can go all direct or all diffuse. Depending on the set I usually go with a mix of about 85% diffuse and 15% direct, it's a preference thing though I guess. You could of course send the direct and diffuse signals to separate pairs of speakers hence requiring 6 speakers, but in my opinion you'd end up with about the same results as all you're doing then is basically the same, adding or subtracting more or less of one signal over the other into the mix, you're just now doing it on separate pairs of speakers, then you'd also have to figure out where to place those separate pairs of speakers for the best results. Go four speakers if it's speakers you want and you'll be fine.

Marc
Last edited by 1961TC4ME on Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mnailor

PostThu Feb 23, 2017 6:13 pm

Just my opinion, but if $1500 is the limit, I'd seriously consider great headphones even for the 6 channel sets. Four good speakers, self powered or with an external amp, and a subwoofer suitable for organ music is likely to go over that amount, and then returning and replacing speakers you don't like is tougher than returning headphones.

I can't say it couldn't possibly be done, but if you can listen to someone else's setup with the speakers, amp, and sub you have in mind, it could save money and aggravation. Contrebombarde has a meet up board for locating Hauptwerkers willing to share.

I have 16 self powered studio monitors and a sub, and think it's just enough sound sources to sound like an organ most of the time...

Rimokatolik

PostThu Feb 23, 2017 6:25 pm

I would suggest to take a look at Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 600 OHM Headphones. If you want to count on specs these go down to only 5Hz. http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/s ... ition.html
Next

Return to Amplification