It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:44 am

Speakers - two sets of different monitors - worth it?

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

jwillans

Speakers - two sets of different monitors - worth it?

PostTue Feb 28, 2017 2:03 pm

I already have a pair of B2031A supported by an SVS subwoofer. I have recently bought a pair of HR824 MK1 with the intention of replacing the B2031A, but it occurred to me that there may be value in setting these up alongside the B2031A instead. Is there any benefit to doing this, and what configuration / distribution algorithm should I try?

mnailor

Re: Speakers - two sets of different monitors - worth it?

PostTue Feb 28, 2017 3:02 pm

Using two pairs of speakers generally can give a more spacious sound than one pair.

With two different models of speakers, usually each model goes in its own Hauptwerk audio group.

For example, you could use one group (pair) for rear channels in surround samplesets, and for stereo samplesets route about half of the ranks to each group.

As an alternative, you could also try both pairs in one group with octaves and ranks cycled just to see if the note-to-note differences bother you. If the speakers were similar enough and you match their sound levels, that might be effective.

1961TC4ME

PostTue Feb 28, 2017 5:49 pm

Another idea.... I will look at different speakers and determine their strong points, perhaps one is better with the highs, the other with the lows and so on and then do the suggested 2- audio groups, send the highs or higher pitched to one pair and vice versa for the other pair.

Marc

Eric Sagmuller

PostWed Mar 01, 2017 12:16 pm

I have both of these and have compared them at one point. I actually had more of the Behringer's at first, but then shifted to the Mackie's. I found the sound out of them is fairly similar, but the Behringer's gave the sound a somewhat nasal quality. I think however if one didn't compare them, one wouldn't really notice the nasal tint. I'm using one pair of them yet on my pedals.

Eric

profeluisegarcia

PostWed Mar 01, 2017 3:20 pm

A simple question please (for Mac users?):
I´m happy with my HW setup, but reading this topic I would like to make a better use of my audio system.

-I have two amplifiers (Pionner and Hardman Kardon), and each one fed two stereo speakers (15 in. subwoffer included in H/K)
-I have a MacBook with a slot for headphones and two slots for USB

Currently, the sound goes out from the computer via headphones and a split toward both amplifiers.

Question: In order to make two audio groups (one for rear, another to front, when possible) with my two amplifiers, what minimal interface and cables I would need (brand, model) and how to connect it to computer and amplifiers?(As you can see, I´ve been an ignorabimus in this matter, and how to organize the audio group...will be the next question¡)
Thanks¡

1961TC4ME

PostWed Mar 01, 2017 3:56 pm

profeluisegarcia wrote:A simple question please (for Mac users?):
I´m happy with my HW setup, but reading this topic I would like to make a better use of my audio system.

-I have two amplifiers (Pionner and Hardman Kardon), and each one fed two stereo speakers (15 in. subwoffer included in H/K)
-I have a MacBook with a slot for headphones and two slots for USB

Currently, the sound goes out from the computer via headphones and a split toward both amplifiers.

Question: In order to make two audio groups (one for rear, another to front, when possible) with my two amplifiers, what minimal interface and cables I would need (brand, model) and how to connect it to computer and amplifiers?(As you can see, I´ve been an ignorabimus in this matter, and how to organize the audio group...will be the next question¡)
Thanks¡

Hello Luis,

Regardless if it's Mac or PC, if you are using the on-board sound of your computer (Mac in your example) going out via the headphone jack to your amplifiers there's unfortunately no way to take advantage of speaker grouping (i.e. front / rear as an example) no matter what you do unless you were to acquire a standalone external multi-channel sound card (interface) first and which seems to be part of your question and perhaps some of the Mac users here could recommend an external multi-channel interface for your setup. Then you're in business and it's all quite simple from there. Perhaps start a thread asking about an external interface for your Mac to be sure someone sees your question as I sometimes find these questions are missed when mixed in with another thread.

Here's an example of just one 4- channel interface I found that would probably do the job >> https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... oCyD_w_wcB

Marc

jwillans

PostThu Mar 02, 2017 2:13 pm

Thanks for all the input.

Eric Sagmuller wrote:I have both of these and have compared them at one point. I actually had more of the Behringer's at first, but then shifted to the Mackie's. I found the sound out of them is fairly similar, but the Behringer's gave the sound a somewhat nasal quality. I think however if one didn't compare them, one wouldn't really notice the nasal tint. I'm using one pair of them yet on my pedals.

Eric - Did you use the Mackies and the Behringers at the same time in their own groups? I'm wondering whether using the octave and rank cycling across the two different speaker types would sound unnatural given the different characteristics of these speakers.

jkinkennon

PostThu Mar 02, 2017 2:48 pm

My two cents. The Behringers have a lot of high and low frequent adjustment so I would experiment with one of each type speaker to get them to sound as much alike as possible. I wouldn't be surprised to see them play well together.

Even identical speakers can sound different based upon placement, so it is worth a try. Still, if there are just the two pairs I might be inclined to use the pair I liked the least as rear channels or front diffuse channels instead.

Eric Sagmuller

PostThu Mar 02, 2017 5:26 pm

jwillans wrote: Eric - Did you use the Mackies and the Behringers at the same time in their own groups? I'm wondering whether using the octave and rank cycling across the two different speaker types would sound unnatural given the different characteristics of these speakers.

Hi,

No I did not. To be honest even with several pairs of the Mackie's, I find myself fiddling with trying to balance them out. I think some of it has to do with as John says, just the fact that the speakers are not in the exact same location. I have had a problem where the right speakers seem louder, so I have the left ones cranked up a little more. Well the other night I found that my left speakers are actually throwing some higher frequencies to the right, adding to that side's volume. I think it has to do with the fact that I have my speakers up quite high, and the left side of the ceiling is much closer as it's vaulted with the right being much higher. I'm thinking now I might have to lower my speakers.

Eric

jwillans

PostSun Mar 05, 2017 4:01 pm

I tested the Mackie HR824 as a standalone pair and I have to say I am impressed. Compared to the Behringer the sound is clearer and better controlled. I suspect the comparative lack of control I am hearing in the Behringers is partly due to their ported design, however another factor was that the Behringers' mode for eliminating low-frequencies does not seem to work as well as the Mackie's and therefore the replay of these in the Behringers contributed to the muddying of sound. The Mackie's seem to have a much better mode for eliminating low frequencies and now seem to work with the SVS PC Ultra-13 to produce a nicely blended sound stage. I am not in any rush to return to the Behringer's and may hold onto these to support rear channels when I have more space to do this.

Eric Sagmuller

PostSun Mar 05, 2017 4:31 pm

I think the HR's are much more refined. Then again they cost alot more, comparing new prices. I've been able to get a number of pairs of the Mackie's for good prices, if one is willing to take ones time. I also bought several pairs where one woofer surround needs replaced. I had a spare good used woofer for the one, but will need to try my hand at the surround replacement for the other.

Eric

Return to Amplification