It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:06 am

Rear speaker advice - PreSonus Eris

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

jwb

Rear speaker advice - PreSonus Eris

PostSat Mar 25, 2017 2:27 am

I am considering extending my current 2 channel setup to 4 channels by adding a set of rear studio monitors. My first choice was to get a pair of Behringer B2031A Truth studio monitors but it seems it is discontinued and replaced by the Behringer Nekkst series (two different retailers told me that).

I then found a good deal on PreSonus Eris E8 and E5 studio monitors. They do seem to have a lot of features and get a good write up. My question is the E5 with its 5 inch woofer sufficient as a rear speaker or do I have to go for the E8 (8 inch woofer)? Does anyone have experience with these speakers and found them good / bad for Hauptwerk? As mentioned, they would be used as dedicated rear speakers only. My main concern about the smaller speaker is the loss of lower frequencies of course, but maybe that is not an issue for rear speakers (also I do have a subwoofer on my current 2 front channels). The bigger one is bulkier though (and more expensive) and I am worried could be overkill.

Jaco

telemanr

Re: Rear speaker advice - PreSonus Eris

PostSat Mar 25, 2017 6:59 am

If you are using the rear speakers simply for surround then I think the smaller ones would do nicely. It's a different matter if whole divisions are relegated to them such as an antiphonal division which was located at the rear and sampled as such. Most samples though are just for surround ambiance.
I use smaller ones in my setup and find that perfectly satisfactory.
There are those, however, who would prefer to have no compromise but I think enough is enough.
Rob Enns

ArnoldOrgans

PostSat Mar 25, 2017 11:20 am

Jaco,

What are you using for the current speakers? You may want to use the same thing to keep things flexible for future expansion.

We have used the E5, E8, B2031A, Nekkst K5 and K8. Personally I would use the K8 for home and B2031A for larger than living room spaces. The 5" speakers will be lacking on lows but work well paired with a sub( E5's and the T10 sound good together). You can still get the B2031A but it will be discontinued eventually. In my opinion the B2031A leans a bit to the sharp side and the E8 leans a bit warm with the K8 falling in the middle. I prefer the sound from the B2031A but most people I have asked in comparison prefer the E8. My guess is with the look, sound and features of the K8 it is designed to me more comparable to the E8.
Matt Arnold
http://www.customorganworks.com
info@customorganworks.com
Authorized reseller of Hauptwerk, Milan Digital Audio, Inspired Acoustics, CLR Resources and Sonus Paradisi.

jwb

PostSat Mar 25, 2017 1:49 pm

Thank you for the advice. My current speaker setup is a set of external speakers (including subwoofer) that came with my Johannus console. Thus I can't match anything with them now. However, in the future (sometime in the next 3-5 years) I will be looking at replacing my console with a dedicated Hauptwerk console and will then need to reconsider the speaker situation. So, I do need to take that into account with my current decision.

The main sample sets I play are Goerlitz, Rotterdam Main Organ and Hereford (and sometimes PAB). Goerlitz and Rotterdam have rear channels but not Hereford. So I would need to decide how to use these speakers with Hereford. If for example I direct a whole division to it (eg Swell), then it would make more sense to buy the larger ones. I am not sure how well that would work and perhaps the better option would be just to duplicate the front sound to the rear.

I looked at the Behringer K8 as an alternative to the the B2031A Truth but the only ones I could find were quite expensive.

Jaco

jkinkennon

PostSat Mar 25, 2017 3:33 pm

Behringer K8 and 2031A are both $199 at Sweetwater. Whether the newer K8 is an equivalent speaker I'll leave to others to judge. In spite of the hype it appears, just from a glance, that Behringer is going with fewer controls and less power for the same price.

engrssc

PostSat Mar 25, 2017 7:01 pm

jwb wrote:Goerlitz and Rotterdam have rear channels but not Hereford. So I would need to decide how to use these speakers with Hereford. If for example I direct a whole division to it (eg Swell), then it would make more sense to buy the larger ones.

There are ways to emulate a rear surround sound of sorts by using such as a Lex MX200. As John mentioned, Sweetwater stocks the 2031's and there are used ones on eBay from time to time at an even better price You could use the Behringer's (which ever ones) for the front mains and use your present spkrs from the J for the rears. Just a thought.

Rgds,'
Ed

mnailor

PostSat Mar 25, 2017 7:04 pm

Or buy the same speakers for rear as front, use alt config for non-surround samplesets where front and rear speakers are in the same audio group.

magnaton

PostSat Mar 25, 2017 8:48 pm

The revered Behringer 2031A is being discontinued? Really? I checked several on-line retailers and they have plenty available.

What Telemanr says is correct for surround sound channels, however be aware that pedal voices are sent there too. Some multi-channel sample sets allow you to adjust the surround volume in real time and by division. So for a smaller speakers you could trim surround the pedal division way back if necessary. Otherwise I'd would recommend a monitor with an 8" driver which can handle the lower frequencies.

Speaking of active studio monitors, I just discovered Sterling Audio. These models may be new to the market but have really good reviews and fantastic price. Comes in 3 different sizes:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/sterling-audio-mx8-8-powered-studio-monitor

Danny B.

Eric Sagmuller

PostSun Mar 26, 2017 10:32 am

Quite a few years ago someone on this forum told me the 2031A's were being phased out and weren't available anymore, and that the 3031A's were taking their place. I have seen the 2031A's available since, but the 3031A's have been discontinued. I suspect however that the time is coming for them to disappear. They have sold the 2031's for many years.

Eric

magnaton

PostSun Mar 26, 2017 12:30 pm

Eric Sagmuller wrote:. I suspect however that the time is coming for them to disappear. They have sold the 2031's for many years.

Yes and to me that has been great feature . . . to plan on a purchase at a future date knowing you'll be getting the same model & specs. Being in the home studio market, they need to keep up with competition or trends and introduce a new model to generate some buzz. I've suspected that we the HW community have contributed to their longevity since we purchase in multiple pairs.

Danny B.

TheOrganDoc

PostMon Mar 27, 2017 4:41 pm

Apparently sterling, will not be available for a few months, but looks OK ! :oops:

magnaton wrote:The revered Behringer 2031A is being discontinued? Really? I checked several on-line retailers and they have plenty available.

What Telemanr says is correct for surround sound channels, however be aware that pedal voices are sent there too. Some multi-channel sample sets allow you to adjust the surround volume in real time and by division. So for a smaller speakers you could trim surround the pedal division way back if necessary. Otherwise I'd would recommend a monitor with an 8" driver which can handle the lower frequencies.

Speaking of active studio monitors, I just discovered Sterling Audio. These models may be new to the market but have really good reviews and fantastic price. Comes in 3 different sizes:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/sterling-audio-mx8-8-powered-studio-monitor

Danny B.
Mel..............TheOrganDoc...............

Romanos

PostTue Mar 28, 2017 8:34 pm

I have 6 E5's and if I had to do over I would go with 8's. They are perfectly fine speakers but lack the presence you need for lower frequencies. They get plenty loud (way louder than I ever use) but I just wish my 8' stops had a little more oomph.

rauschzimbel3

PostWed Mar 29, 2017 11:41 pm

I have E8's front and rear with a Temblor 10 sub on the front. The E8's were on sale for less than E5's when I got them, so there was really no choice. I was favorably impressed with the E5's when I auditioned them, and think they would be more than adequate for the rear channels. At regular prices, that's what I would buy. I'm very pleased with the Presonus speakers. Good value, good neutral, clear sound.

Romanos

PostThu Mar 30, 2017 7:59 am

It's funny you mention the tremblor... I have a SVS PB-2000. It kicks butt and takes names but if I had to do over again I would go for stereo subs and the tremblors would fit the bill perfectly (especially considering their connectivity options!). (and size)

rauschzimbel3

PostSat Apr 01, 2017 12:45 pm

Romanos: The Presonus Temblor 10 has way more power than I need in a 25' x 18' x 7.5' room. It is barely idling. I have the front stereo inputs going to it and its crossover outputs to the front E8's, so front E8's roll off around 50 Hz. The rear E8's get the full-range surround signal. Works great.
Next

Return to Amplification