It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:45 am

Small (major) problem with SVS woofer

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

b.natural

Small (major) problem with SVS woofer

PostWed Mar 29, 2017 9:52 am

I own a newish SVS-PC subwoofer (the big cylindrical one) and I did some damage to one of the RCA plugs.

I inadvertently stepped on the speaker wire to one of the plugs. It broke off, leaving the pin inside the hole on the speaker. I opened the amplifier only to realize that these RCA plugs go right into a self-encased module on the inside - no way to get at the plug from behind. The complany said that it is irreparable and that I need to purchase a new $250 amplifier.

Do you have any suggestions for a DYI fix? How would drillling a hole through the metal plug in the canal, then trying to pull it out work?

Help.

NickNelson

Re: Small (major) problem with SVS woofer

PostWed Mar 29, 2017 10:29 am

Photographs would help, but it may be you need do nothing.

Subwoofers generally have L and R inputs for convenience of connection, but simply sum these two inputs to produce the subwoofer signal.

You should be able to do this externally and send the combined signal to whichever input is undamaged.

Whether this is straightforward or not would depend on where the L/R signals originate and whether they were sent elsewhere as well.

Personally I'd be reluctant to drill it since there is a chance that either the whole pin or drilling swarf could end up in amongst the electronics. This probably would be irrepairable.

Prpbably the least invasive thing to try would be to apply a powerful suction (eg from a workshop vacuum cleaner) to the outside of the socket. You never know - it might work.

Have a look at the construction of the other (intact) plug. If its pin is hollow (they usually are) you might be able to insert (carefully) an epoxy coated cocktail stick down the inside of it.

Nick

stoverkid

PostWed Mar 29, 2017 10:46 am

Hi,
If you know a mechanic, they usually have a set of screw extractors. These have edges that will grasp a broken bolt. A :idea: very small extractor should coax a hollow RCA pin from the hole.

engrssc

PostWed Mar 29, 2017 11:31 am

A small tweezer?

Rgds,
Ed

mnailor

PostWed Mar 29, 2017 12:43 pm

Does your audio interface have a mixer than could convert the stereo mixdown for the sub to mono?

Or are there XLR inputs on the SVS like mine has? If so maybe there's an RCA to XLR adapter cable, though you'd have to check if SVS cares about unbalanced cables on the XLR. Example:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/XRM105

murph

PostWed Mar 29, 2017 3:53 pm

Most phono connectors have a plastic lining to the "male" bit. If a tiny screw extractor is not feasible, try a safety pin with the end bent to a hook. (medium size. A nappy pin is too big. 45 degree bend.) Try hooking the plastic and pulling. It takes a few (lot of!!) attempts, but usually works.

rayjcar

PostWed Mar 29, 2017 4:29 pm

Try taking a very small drill bit (i.e. 1/32 or 3/64) and twirling it into the RCA piece just using your fingers. It doesn't take much for these sharp bits to take a grab on the material, and then pull the drill bit with pliers.
You're not trying to drill a hole, but rather to use a bit just large enough for it to jam inside the piece.

Ray

scottherbert

PostThu Mar 30, 2017 2:03 pm

Another thing to try, from my years in emergency medicine, when folk would come in with some foreign object stuck in their ear canal. Using something small enough, like a pin with a head on it, apply a SMALL :!: amount of cyano-acrylate glue (superglue) to the tip only, and touch it to the offending part ONLY! It should stick instantly, and hopefully you should be able to remove the piece. It takes a very steady hand, and perhaps some magnification, but it works. Just don't touch anything else with it.

Another alternative, since you've already opened the case, is just to replace the connector witha new one and re-connect the wires.

~S
"Life is just a dream, it is in death that we truly awaken!"

Return to Amplification