It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:49 am

subwoofer repair?

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

seh52

subwoofer repair?

PostThu Apr 13, 2017 9:29 am

My Advent Sunfire 12" subwoofer, age 25, rattles on the low notes. The rubber surround has become unglued and separated from the cone.

Is there a good glue to reattach the rubber surround to the cone?

Any special process to do it properly?

engrssc

Re: subwoofer repair?

PostThu Apr 13, 2017 10:38 am

I would suggest replacing the entire surround with a new one. The problem will just repeat given the age You can Google to find how to do this.

Rgds,
Ed

nrorganist

PostThu Apr 13, 2017 11:24 am

I have owned a pair of Advent speakers (admittedly not their subwoofer) since the early 70's.

Moving to a drier climate at 20+ years old, the foam surrounds for both woofers started deteriorating fairly severely. My memory is that I bought a Foam Speaker (pair) Repair Kit for my Advent model from http://www.simplyspeakers.com for $25-30 + shipping. The instructions provided were straightforward enough that I completed the replacement myself in an hour or two. Ever since, I have been enjoying listening to them, even this morning.

The website now has numerous YouTube Speaker Repair videos, such as https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3aBCRppbg0, to give you a feel for their surround repair/replacement process.

Also, there is a 12" repair Kit: FSK-12F, but it is likely intended for the Large Advent Loudspeakers. Consider using the Simply Speaker website's Contact Form to check FSK-12F compatibility with your Advent Sunfire 12" subwoofer.

Mark

scottherbert

PostThu Apr 13, 2017 4:38 pm

Simply Speakers also has some Cloth as well as rubber surround kits too. If you could find one to fit, these would be much more desirable to another foam surround! :D Installation would be the same.

~S
"Life is just a dream, it is in death that we truly awaken!"

BarryG

PostFri Apr 14, 2017 9:14 am

I echo the advice above. I repaired several old(er) speaker pairs a few years ago, I believe with materials from the website above, including big/old Advents from the '70's. Straight-forward process, just need a little work and attention. Was successful saving all these great old units.

John_Abson

PostSun Apr 16, 2017 3:55 am

I have an organ builder friend who re-leathered his speaker surrounds when they failed. Worked well! (I only relate this as an amusing anecdote, not a recommendation...).

engrssc

PostSun Apr 16, 2017 7:19 am

John_Abson wrote: re-leathered his speaker surrounds when they failed. Worked well! .

Wonder if and how doing that changed the characteristics of the speaker as the surround is part of how a speaker sounds. As well as how it works with the enclosure.

Rgds,
Ed

seh52

PostSat Apr 29, 2017 9:25 am

Thanks for these tips!
After reviewing options, I found several S. California speaker repair shops offering to replace the surround and balance everything for estimates of $79-$399. The whole unit was too big and heavy for me to transport. One friendly tech suggested removing the subwoofer and bringing that to his shop. Once there, I learned that it is a 15" sub, which explains how well it shakes my place. All is fixed for $79!

scottherbert

PostSat Apr 29, 2017 2:34 pm

Good for you! Let the rumbling resume! :D

~S
"Life is just a dream, it is in death that we truly awaken!"

engrssc

PostSat Apr 29, 2017 3:27 pm

seh52 wrote: All is fixed for $79!

That's not a bad price considering professional labor and parts. :) Far less than a replacement. :wink:
Plus you had a hand in the repair. 8)

Rgds,
Ed

Return to Amplification