It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:48 am

A new way to connect your sub(s)

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

jkinkennon

Re: A new way to connect your sub(s)

PostThu Apr 20, 2017 11:29 am

Eric Sagmuller wrote:I intentionally have all my pedal stops and 16' manual stops going to their own speaker systems both in the front and the rear. I wanted to separate them from the manual stops to gain better clarity.

This is probably the best approach. Keeping the pedal ranks from exercising the front speakers is perhaps the best change I ever made. I have been debating the merits of moving the 16' stops to the pedal group as well. It's likely I will do that. I don't have a sub with the rear speakers but have an extra and may give it a try.

As to the "new" way to connect subs I am somewhat bewildered as it seems that any multichannel setup requires either a mix down channel for the sub or a separate audio group for the pedal division. Is there a third way that I am missing? In any case it is obvious that all the audio below 60 to 80 Hz belongs on a sub unless one has unusually capable front speakers. All the pedal divisions overtones belong on either the usual front speakers or on similar dedicated speakers if using a separate audio group for the pedal. No audio is missing in either case.

Eric Sagmuller

PostThu Apr 20, 2017 1:09 pm

Yeah my front pedal speakers consist of two huge Sonotube subs using 18" drivers and a set of studio monitors for the highs. In the rear I just have a set of 3 ways for now, they aren't much good below 40 hz. though. I want to build some smaller Sonotubes along with studio monitors for the rear, in time.

I too wondered about the "new way" approach.

Eric

1961TC4ME

PostThu Apr 20, 2017 2:07 pm

jkinkennon wrote:As to the "new" way to connect subs I am somewhat bewildered.......

Eric Sagmuller wrote:

Eric

Well, if you aren't doing it the way I am, then I'd venture to say it is a new way, isn't it? :wink:

Don't over think this guys, there's no need to make things as complicated as it appears. :roll:

Marc

engrssc

PostThu Apr 20, 2017 3:39 pm

"I told you a million times not to exaggerate." 8)

Rgds,
Ed

Eric Sagmuller

PostThu Apr 20, 2017 8:13 pm

1961TC4ME wrote:
jkinkennon wrote:As to the "new" way to connect subs I am somewhat bewildered.......

Eric Sagmuller wrote:

Eric

Well, if you aren't doing it the way I am, then I'd venture to say it is a new way, isn't it? :wink:

Don't over think this guys, there's no need to make things as complicated as it appears. :roll:

Marc

You're absolutely right Marc! And if it sounds better to you that's what counts :D

Eric

1961TC4ME

PostFri Apr 21, 2017 10:29 am

Eric Sagmuller wrote:
1961TC4ME wrote:

Eric Sagmuller wrote:

Eric

Marc

You're absolutely right Marc! And if it sounds better to you that's what counts :D

Eric

Hi Eric,

And you are absolutely right as well! One thing I try keep in mind here is, like myself, you, and many others here, we've been doing this Hauptwerk thing for a long time now, in my case nearly 10 years, we're the veterans here, but not everyone here is. In the time I've had and enjoyed Hauptwerk I've learned much, I like any newcomer today started with zero and over time slowly built my system. There's been many trials and errors along the way for me, but at this point I'm very pleased with what I now have. Early on I had no idea what and how to do things, I had a lot of questions and ideas, but over time I have accomplished something that blows people away when they hear it for the first time.

On this subject, as we see all the time here, we have newcomers to this sport where Hauptwerk has peaked their interest just like it did for us in the beginning and are just getting started the same as when we first started. They're looking for ideas, they're asking questions about things, there's obvious things they are missing but don't yet realize it, they're asking questions sometimes about things we might consider a 'no brainer' now, but at the time was important to us as well no matter how mundane or obvious the answer to the question was. What I've done here is offer an example of something that's maybe not so exciting and new to you and others, but to the newcomer could be a wealth of information, and any time I see something that works better or solves a problem that I think is worthwhile posting about, I'll do my best to get the word out.

We just all need to keep in mind (in my honest opinion), we're not all experts here.

Marc

engrssc

PostFri Apr 21, 2017 2:06 pm

Blowing in the same reed or maybe flue pipe as Marc, I, at times sometimes ask questions here that basically I know the answer to. (Shouldn't end a sentance with a preposition, I know) I ask these questions many times on behalf of a new member who might be too "shy" to ask (in public). OTOH, I'm still on a learning curve as well. I appreciate looking at various opinions on any given subject. I don't like to go around in circles either as some issues can be quite frustrating, esp dealing with complex stuff involved in trying to recreate something as complex as a virtual pipe organ.

Once when complaining that I was seemingly was going around in circles over a problem, I received a comment that I should "be quiet" or "he" was going to nail my other foot to the ground. :shock: :wink:

Rgds,
Ed

MikeDC

PostWed Jun 14, 2017 4:41 pm

I do something similar in that I send the pedal 16s and 32s to a pair of studio monitors and to the sub. I use the high pass filter to adjust to back off some of the higher pedal notes that get too loud.
Previous

Return to Amplification