It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:53 pm

New amp to check out for Hauptwerk

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

1961TC4ME

New amp to check out for Hauptwerk

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 11:37 am

Hi all,

I'm on the Emotiva mailing list and just received info on this new amplifier. Looks interesting so thought I'd share.

https://emotiva.com/products/amplifiers ... 56bdb100b1

Marc

magnaton

Re: New amp to check out for Hauptwerk

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 11:52 am

Thanks for sharing Marc.

For an additional $100 you can get 4 extra channels with this similar unit from Parts-Express:
https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-ma1260-multi-zone-12-channel-amplifier-60wpc--300-8150

Danny B.

Eric Sagmuller

PostSat Apr 29, 2017 7:32 pm

I guess it depends on if one has a preference for class A/B or D. Emotiva seems to focus more on tried and true audiophile A/B amps and linear power supplies. This would be my choice, but many claim D amps sound fine. I'm probably just old fashioned. If I could afford it, I would build a couple tube amps, but the tubes and transformers are not cheap. And I want to go with many more than the 12 channels I have now.

Eric

engrssc

PostSat Apr 29, 2017 8:08 pm

My choice: http://www.crownaudio.com/en/products/ct-8150

and no fan noise 8) because there are no fans.

Rgds,
Ed

1961TC4ME

PostSun Apr 30, 2017 3:12 pm

One of the things that caught my eye with the Emotiva was the price tag and 8 channels. Certainly one of their lower priced amps to come along in awhile since they eliminated a few older 5 and 7 channel amps quite some time back with no new replacements.

Marc

engrssc

PostSun Apr 30, 2017 3:44 pm

The Crown CT8150 is definitely not on the same (lower price) page. 2 reasons I went with it, a Rodgers engineer I know mentioned it is used on their (very) high end large installations and then my Rodgers 340 is totally filled and there would be no room for any other 8 channel amp, I looked. Plus the Crown runs totally cool even at full Tutti so it can literally be buried, which in my case, it is. I would need a shoe horn (remember those?) for anything else.

I could have gone external, but - - - :roll: I would liken this amp does for good speakers the same as the S.M.S,L sAp II does for a high end set of cans. (headphones). :D

Rgds,
Ed

Romanos

PostWed May 24, 2017 10:45 am

Well Ed, with all due respect, the Emotiva option looks like a great "budget" alternative!

engrssc

PostWed May 24, 2017 9:51 pm

While perhaps not a deal breaker or a concern, but the amp uses 2 internal fans. You can always say that is virtual "blower noise". The amp is larger than the Crown which is 1 rack space high. I'd be game to hear one in action, but haven't as yet know of any being used nearby.

Rgds,
Ed

sonar11

PostThu May 25, 2017 8:18 am

Having owned several Emotiva amps, the fans are basically for "show". I have yet to hear them come on, and the engineers have said (on their forum) the fans only come on while driving difficult loads (4 ohms) at very high volumes for long times. At that point, you still won't be hearing the fans since the music will be too loud and obliterating all other background noise.

These are very accurate and detailed, I would choose them over Crown every time unless you are installing in a public venue somewhere and will be running them very loud all the time.

Romanos has used the word "budget", but it's not really 100% accurate; yes they are budget priced, but the quality and sound is definitely not budget; they can hold their own against many audiophile amps, and you can find them being used by speaker manufactures at CES etc to drive their high end gear. The icing on the cake is the 30 day trial, just send them back if you don't like them :)

Return to Amplification