It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:05 am

Setting audio output levels

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

1961TC4ME

Setting audio output levels

PostThu Jun 01, 2017 12:06 pm

Hi all,

Just a few observations as to how I've been doing things concerning my various audio output level settings and also interested in what others are doing and their results, and if there's maybe a better way to do things.

Most sets I have I generally end up setting the volume trim level to around -4 to -8 db, in the audio output section under the pull down I have the individual speaker levels set to 0, my amps are set about 1/2 way to max volume, and my sound card outputs are also set at 1/2 to about 2/3rd's max. With these settings I usually run the HW volume control around 45 or so and this gives (to me anyways) what you might expect the volume of the instrument to be if you were listening to it in person in its environment. If I jack the volume up to around 75 things are then quite loud, more than I prefer on most days, but fun to do once in awhile if you want to rattle things and wake up the neighbors. :mrgreen: I recall sometime back Martin had suggested setting things up so the HW volume control is at 100%, but I don't recall the exact reason why. Doing it this way requires I trim the db back even further into double digits to keep the audio meter from going into the red, and it also requires that I turn my amps up considerably more, anything less just doesn't give sufficient volume. With my current setting if I go to 100 on the volume slider it results in the audio meter going into the red on larger registrations, and yes it's VERY loud. :shock: So, the question then is: Is it better to set things up so with the volume slider set to 100 the meter does not go into the red and the volume is then about as loud as I am comfortable with? Aside from keeping things out of the red, are there any benefits to adjusting the outputs one way or the other or is it just what works best for you?

Marc

mdyde

Re: Setting audio output levels

mnailor

PostThu Jun 01, 2017 12:36 pm

I did it differently, but can't claim that mine is better. I don't want anything to go into the red, ever, and I prefer my amps down around 1/4 gain. There are 16 active speakers + sub.

In Hauptwerk, each output is set at -6 dB. This is to put the Trim in range for samplesets that are louder than most, like Stade. Before I did this my Stade trim was -24 and not low enough for my ears.

I set everything with volume slider fixed at 100, and almost never touch it. Each sampleset has its trim set to make soft stops audible and full organ not too painful, about 80 - 90 dB SPL for me.

1961TC4ME

PostThu Jun 01, 2017 1:05 pm

Thanks Martin and mnailor.

Martin, one of the things I wondered in posting this is, are we ending up with the same outcome in audio quality if I set everything up so with volume slider set to 75 the audio just goes into the red on a full registration, or I set it all up so that at 100 on the slider the audio just goes into the red, are we, or should we get basically the same results in audio quality, or should there be an audible difference going with the 100 setting?

Basically I'm wanting to come up with the best potential for the output without either over or under driving things.

Thanks,

Marc

mdyde

PostFri Jun 02, 2017 3:25 am

Hello Marc,

For any given output level from Hauptwerk (peak value on Hauptwerk's level meter) it makes no difference to audio quality whether you achieve that level by adjusting the 'Trim dB' setting or the 'Volume' slider; the two simply add together in effect. (The former is intended as a static setting, to balance output levels between different organs, and the latter is intended for temporary level reductions, and can be controlled in real-time from MIDI.)

It's very important that Hauptwerk's audio level meter never goes into the red, otherwise you're highly likely to get nasty audio distortion (clipping).

(The topics I linked to cover all these things in more depth.)
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

1961TC4ME

PostFri Jun 02, 2017 10:01 am

Thank you, Martin. Now knowing the main thing to pay attention to (regardless of actual volume coming out of my speakers), for best realism is to get the audio to go to peak green or just entering yellow on full registrations, that's what I was wondering and answers my question. 8)

Marc

mdyde

PostFri Jun 02, 2017 11:27 am

Thanks, Marc.

You're welcome.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Amplification