It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:37 am

JBL LSR305 vs Behringer 3031A durability

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

maestropotvin

JBL LSR305 vs Behringer 3031A durability

PostWed Jun 28, 2017 6:53 pm

Hello all,

After searching this forum for speaker recommendation I had my mind set on some Behringer 3031A. for my home setup. I ordered them from a local pro audio shop. The owner did not seem too "hot" about the Behringer products. He lent me some JBL LSR305 to try out.

I have two questions:
- For those of you who have heard both, what is your opinion in terms of sound?
- In terms of durability, how do they compare? (the audio person made it sound like the Behringer would likely not last past 5 years.) I want something that will last me for a long time.

Thank you in advance.

Stephane

Eric Sagmuller

Re: JBL LSR305 vs Behringer 3031A durability

PostWed Jun 28, 2017 7:32 pm

Your question is probably mute as the B3031A's have not been produced anymore for a number of years. I can say however that the B2031A's have been quite reliable for many people. I've had several pairs, but switched to Mackie's as they sounded better. There is also talk however of the B2031's being discontinued soon.

I can't speak for the JBL's. I've never used any of them.

Eric

magnaton

PostWed Jun 28, 2017 7:39 pm

Hi Stephane:

A couple things off the bat; the 3031A (with a ribbon tweeter) is no longer being made. The model to discuss is the popular 2031A (dome tweeter). Both have an 8" woofer. The LSR305 has a 5" woofer where as the LSR308 would be a better comparison as it an 8" woofer like the Behringers.

Like you, a pro audio rep tried to talk me into the LSR308 monitors as they were just introduced and he loved the sound compared to the Behringers. His comments were strictly based on home studio application. He even lowered the price of the JBLs to match the Behringers. I happened to check Craig's List and found a pair of 2031As, barely used, and great price. I figured I'd try these then move to the JBLs if I'm not satisfied. I have since purchased 7 additional pairs of the 2031As! I haven't had any issues with mine. Behringers get a bad rap as they make so much stuff at very affordable prices. However they've hit a few home runs like the UMX610 MIDI controller, 2031A monitors (we are discussing here), a several other select audio items

The 2031A models are very popular with HW users and for good reason.

Danny B.

ArnoldOrgans

PostThu Jun 29, 2017 10:44 am

We have studio monitors from JBL, Behringer, Presonus, Mackie and Yamaha. When people come to demo speakers the Behringer is always preferred over JBL. About a third of listeners prefer Behringer and the other 2/3rd prefer Presonus, Yamaha or Mackie.

I have found the 2031A to be a very reliable speaker. Any problems have been on arrival or on rental/demo units.
Matt Arnold
http://www.customorganworks.com
info@customorganworks.com
Authorized reseller of Hauptwerk, Milan Digital Audio, Inspired Acoustics, CLR Resources and Sonus Paradisi.

maestropotvin

PostThu Jun 29, 2017 11:22 am

Thank you all for your replies.

Your help is very much appreciated.

Stephane

organtechnology

PostThu Jun 29, 2017 4:47 pm

maestropotvin wrote:Thank you all for your replies.

Your help is very much appreciated.

Stephane

The only reason to use an 8" woofer over a 5" woofer is when there is no sub-woofer and the extended low end frequency response is needed. But in neither case is the low end frequency response going to be sufficient for a 16 ft. pipe not to mention a 32 ft. pipe. Better clarity and performance will be had with at least 6 speakers providing 50Hz low end roll off and a sub-woofer with 50Hz high end roll off. This is so the group of speakers act as a single stereo pair and the sub-woofer provides the bass response to provide a contiguous 32Hz (16Hz if there is a 32 ft. pipe) to 20,000 Hz range. This is why subwoofer+satellite computer speakers are so popular and sound so good.

Thomas
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

Return to Amplification