It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:13 am

Bluetooth head phones

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

atugores

Bluetooth head phones

PostTue Oct 10, 2017 7:44 am

Some times I have to play with head phones not to bother the rest of family members, I have a pair of normal (cable) phones and a pair of good Bluetooth phones, I configured a HW to be used only with phones, loading the samples to a one only audio group that goes out to built in output ( the output of the Mac, without using the external audio interface) everything works fine and the sound of HW can be heard through the iMac internal speakers. After that I connect the bluetooth phones an I select them in the Mac preferences audio in order to have the sound through the phones, no sound and the sound is always heard at the main mac internal speakers.
I understand than when the built in output in HW is selected this sound goes to the Mac, and then in the mac I select the way out of that sound (case of bluetooth phones).
Why the sound muted when the bluetooth phones are selected? can anybody give an explanation, thanks to all of you.

atugores

Hw and apple AirPods

PostSun Oct 15, 2017 6:40 am

I do not understand why if I select the AirPods in my iMac I can hear the sound coming from any source of audio that is inside the mac (also from logic Pro), all the audio sources it can be heard through the AirPods, except from HW, having configured the sound outputs to "built in sound".
I understand that when the sound is coming from inside the computer (not using an external sound card) you can her the sound with a pair of speakers, a phones, conected to the appropriate conector on the mac (not sending the sound to an external sound card). or a bluetooth device that takes the sound from inside the computer.
Does anybody understand the reason why the sound is hear anywhere except the AirPods or any other bluetooth device, thank you.

mdyde

Re: Bluetooth head phones

PostSun Oct 15, 2017 6:55 am

[I've merged your two topics together, since they're both on the same question.]
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

mdyde

PostTue Oct 17, 2017 6:17 am

Hello atugores,

I have no experience with BlueTooth headphones or Apple AirPods myself, I'm afraid. However, Hauptwerk will just send its audio output to whichever audio driver (device) you have selected on the 'General settings | Audio outputs' screen. The audio driver determines what happens to the audio (e.g. which physical speakers it's routed to) from there.

Hauptwerk queries the list of audio drivers (devices) from the operating system when it launches and expects that list of drivers/devices to remain the same whilst it's running. (It doesn't support 'hot-plugging' devices.) Hence if you add or remove a device/driver then you need to do so when Hauptwerk isn't running. Exit Hauptwerk first, then re-launch it, so that it will see the changed list of devices/drivers on the its Audio Outputs screen.

Perhaps when you connect your BlueTooth headphones OS X considers them to be an additional (separate) audio device, but also sets that new device to be the default audio device, for example. For simple applications that always (and only) send their audio output to which device OS X reports as the default you might then find that they switch to them automatically. However, in that case (i.e. if OS X actually reports them as a new/separate device), Hauptwerk wouldn't change its selected audio driver/device -- you would need to select the new device's entry manually on the Audio Outputs screen (also having made sure that you connected/disconnected them when Hauptwerk wasn't actually running).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

162_Ranks

PostTue Oct 17, 2017 1:12 pm

I've tried bluetooth audio a couple of times and found it unsatisfactory -- it seems to add enough additional latency to make the organ unplayable. Perhaps this is hardware specific, though. Has anyone else had success?

Pete46beards

PostSun Sep 20, 2020 5:23 pm

Bluetooth AirPods: as in a previous post, all other sounds from the MacBook Pro play just fine. But I play a note in Hauptwerk and I get sort of a jet plane sound effect receding into the distance. No pitch. I have chosen AirPods as the output both in the Mac's Sound Preferences and in Hauptwerk's Audio Output panel.

marcus.reeves

PostMon Sep 21, 2020 8:05 am

162_Ranks wrote:I've tried bluetooth audio a couple of times and found it unsatisfactory -- it seems to add enough additional latency to make the organ unplayable. Perhaps this is hardware specific, though. Has anyone else had success?

If you have headphones and an operating system which supports the aptX Low Latency codec, the latency drops to below 40ms which I have found to be perfectly fine for playing the organ.
Best wishes,
Marcus

Return to Amplification