It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:15 am

Asking advice for multi-channel audio setup

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

sipirc

Asking advice for multi-channel audio setup

PostWed Nov 01, 2017 7:29 am

G’day everyone,

I have a fundraiser concert on a custom VPO coming up this Sunday and would like to ask some advice about how to proceed with a 6-channel audio setup in a church. What I have got at my disposal:

A Definitive Technology Trinity subwoofer is in the church transept, as is the 3-manual/pedal console.

The console faces across the transept to the nave.

System to sub and sub to umbilical going up the on a column from downstairs to church gallery.

Two Genelec 8050A speakers;
Two 4560 JBL horn speakers;
One JBL Marquis MS105 speaker, matched with one Richard-Allen top box with new 2-way crossover;
One Definitive Technology Trinity subwoofer.

Four jiffy boxes.

Choice of two power amplifiers OR one five channel amplifier:

1 x Yamaha P1500 Power Amplifier
1 x Ev Tapco cp 120 Power Amplifier
1 x Crown Amcron Geodyne I

2 x Yamaha MSP10 near-field monitors

1 x RME Fireface 400 sound card.

Speaker cable sufficient to go to the JBL 4560 in northern end of gallery. Two speaker cable umbilical ready.

Signal umbilical from system to gallery. Terminated in XLR and TRS fittings in a jiffy box. 16 cables so divide this by two for balanced as they all share the one braided earth. (4 jiffy boxes altogether.) A DefTech Trinity subwoofer would have RCA connection OUT from low-level output, so RCA sockets in the bottom jiffy box, too.

The question is - how to allocate these 6 channels via the FF400 sound card?

The subwoofer has the two Yamaha near-field monitors right above it to take care of the lowest stops.

Should this be the main output close above the console - OR the Genelecs at the front?

(The computer is Windows 10 Pro.)

Any helpful suggestion would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Best wishes,
Greg

mdyde

Re: Asking advice for multi-channel audio setup

PostWed Nov 01, 2017 7:42 am

Hello Greg,

I've moved the topic here (since it isn't a technical support request for the Hauptwerk software per-se).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

sipirc

PostWed Nov 01, 2017 7:47 am

Fair enough, Martin, sorry. I was not sure, given the technical nature of the query.
Best,
Greg

magnaton

PostWed Nov 01, 2017 12:23 pm

Hello:

This is tough call as you seem to have a wide spectrum of audio components! The RME interface and Genelec studio monitors are top tier components where as the other equipment is more for stage and general purpose pro audio. For a public installation like a church I would follow the path of the current digital organ builders or many of the church installs posted here where there is a consistency with the audio amplification; i.e. 10 channels of model-X speakers powered by 5 brand-Y amplifiers. It has also been my experience that pro audio lacks the clarity and definition for Hauptwerk playback. Granted if you are doing a temp install and need to fill a large space then that's a different story.

The JBL4560's would have limited use in HW. The horn being the chief concern here. If the sample set has an En Chamade or Solo reed you could dedicate them for that rank but that leaves only 4 channels for the rest of the voices. Even so, you might be disappointed with how the the solo reed sounds coming from those.

I'm not familiar with JBL Marquis so you'd have to audition them to make a determination. My guess is they will sound better than the 4560s but still not as good as the Genelecs. Most active studio monitors are bi-amped where a separate amp is matched and powers the respective driver. Giving the quality and price range of the Genelecs, any organ voice you route to it should sound fantastic.

Again this a tough order as all 3 stereo channels of audio are totally mix matched. My other suggestion would be to read this post and the entry that follows on Oct. 15 where a forum member experimented with a variety of speakers for an upcoming church install:
http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=15009&start=300&hilit=Large+church#p123306

Danny B.

sipirc

PostThu Nov 02, 2017 9:34 am

Hello Danny,

Thank you, today has been better as I have managed to establish two alternative output besides the main one. The trouble is, give their position, it is a challenge to find and identify them correctly.

The RME FF400 can work as a multi-channel output, no problem, tried and tested that before. My bigger concern is, how can I get the Trinity sub work with any of the channels. Given the setup, even identifying speaker pairs has been a challenge....

pedro

PostThu Nov 02, 2017 2:02 pm

Hi Danny
You can use your headphone outlet thats on the front your RME and plug it into your sub.
Have a nice day

magnaton

PostThu Nov 02, 2017 4:13 pm

pedro wrote:Hi Danny
You can use your headphone outlet thats on the front your RME and plug it into your sub.
Have a nice day

That advice would be for Greg, the OP, who has the RME :wink:

Return to Amplification