It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:03 am

Headphone recommendation

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

B777Captain

Re: Headphone recommendation

PostMon Jan 29, 2018 12:10 am

Well after a bit of research and suggestions here and from a PM from Antoni, I went ahead and bought the AKG701's and will be delivered in 2 days, right about the time the console arrives!!

Thanks everyone for the thoughts and suggestions. So much appreciated.

Pat
Pilot Southwest Airlines
Las Vegas, Nevada

TheOrganDoc

PostMon Jan 29, 2018 8:27 pm

Please use sound outputs from a quality sound board, Never Computer Outputs ! :roll:
Mel..............TheOrganDoc...............

murph

PostFri Apr 13, 2018 6:48 pm

murph wrote:I have some 712's on the way to me, so I will report back later, but what I have found absolutely astonishing recently was the Little Dot II valve headphone amp. It hates Sennheiser 30ohm headphones, but adds SO much to Supralux 668B's over the standard Motu output that I would Suggest they be used with any headphone from 60 ohms up (I know the blurb says 30 ohms work, but the HD25's fart on 20Hz with them. The Supralux's don't.).
I'll report further when the AKG's arrive.
(Note: Sennheiser HD650's are supposed to be magical with the amp, but I don't have any handy to compare...)

Report back time. Akg's are fine. Don't play too well with valves. Super clinical on good solid state. They really like out 1 on the gigaport. There's too much noise on out 2 from the combining for me to like them on it. (Unless the curly cable used. The red sounds SO much better...)
HD650's with the valves ROCK!!!!! Musical and detailed. I much prefer them to the AKG's.
Hereford actually images well with them!
I've stopped using speakers since I set up an HW instance to send to out 23/24 on the Motu to feed the Little-dot/HD650 combo.
Added bonus: they're much more comfortable than the AKG's.
Previous

Return to Amplification