It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:39 am

Recommendations For Shelf-Based Speakers

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

ReturningEnthusiast

Recommendations For Shelf-Based Speakers

PostWed Mar 07, 2018 11:49 am

Hi,

I want to add additional speakers to my audio setup, but unfortunately these must be located on a wall shelf above the console. Presently I am using a pair of M-Audio BX8s sitting on the console, and have been satisfied with their sound, except for wanting deeper bass for the lower pedal notes. It is a large room (finished basement), about 15 ft wide by 18 ft long, low ceiling, with the console located midway against the long wall.

To address the deeper bass, I have purchased a Definitive Technology Soundcube 8000 subwoofer.

My first thought was to purchase six M-Audio BX5s to go on the shelf. This would give me four pairs of speakers. I would use equalization in my DAW to reduce the bass on the BX8s to mimic the response of the BX5's - not the best solution but a compromise with keeping costs down.

However, the BX5's, like most monitor speakers, have backfiring bass ports and I'm concerned that being placed a few inches from a wall will yield a muddy bass. They do have an equalization switch on the back for shelf/wall placement, but not sure if that will be enough.

Does anyone have experience with these in a similar setup? Or can anyone suggest alternative equivalent (5-inch, or so) monitors with either front firing, or even, no bass ports? What about passive speakers together with a multi-channel amplifier? And, of course, I'm trying to contain the cost....

Not looking for perfection. Thanks in advance.

Mike.

organtechnology

Re: Recommendations For Shelf-Based Speakers

PostWed Mar 07, 2018 1:52 pm

I recommend you go with 4 ea BX8 from Sweetwater. That will give you 3 stereo pairs which will match with an 8-channel audio module. Assign the first two channels (1 & 2) in General settings>audio outputs to a mixdown and the next six (3 & 4, 5 & 6, 7 & 8 ) as main pipe reproducers and send them all to the mix down for both headphones and sub-woofer use. From this setup you can add more channels with a larger capacity sound module and add speakers to the limit of the sound module or money, whichever runs out first.

Thomas

ReturningEnthusiast wrote:Hi,

I want to add additional speakers to my audio setup, but unfortunately these must be located on a wall shelf above the console. Presently I am using a pair of M-Audio BX8s sitting on the console, and have been satisfied with their sound, except for wanting deeper bass for the lower pedal notes. It is a large room (finished basement), about 15 ft wide by 18 ft long, low ceiling, with the console located midway against the long wall.

To address the deeper bass, I have purchased a Definitive Technology Soundcube 8000 subwoofer.

My first thought was to purchase six M-Audio BX5s to go on the shelf. This would give me four pairs of speakers. I would use equalization in my DAW to reduce the bass on the BX8s to mimic the response of the BX5's - not the best solution but a compromise with keeping costs down.

However, the BX5's, like most monitor speakers, have backfiring bass ports and I'm concerned that being placed a few inches from a wall will yield a muddy bass. They do have an equalization switch on the back for shelf/wall placement, but not sure if that will be enough.

Does anyone have experience with these in a similar setup? Or can anyone suggest alternative equivalent (5-inch, or so) monitors with either front firing, or even, no bass ports? What about passive speakers together with a multi-channel amplifier? And, of course, I'm trying to contain the cost....

Not looking for perfection. Thanks in advance.

Mike.
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

ReturningEnthusiast

PostWed Mar 07, 2018 2:40 pm

Hi Thomas,

That's close to what I was thinking, except I worry 4 BX8s are overly large to mount on a shelf and still keep the domestic management happy. Hence the BX5s are a compromise, relying on the subwoofer for the loss of bass.

You're spot on with the advice about the channel/mix-down routing. I'm using a Delta 1010LT sound card and have bought a Monoprice SPDIF to analog converter (recommended by another Hauptwerker) to avail myself of all 5 pairs of outputs.

Pondering this some more, I've realized that one benefit of the smaller BX5s is the increased flexibility in their placement. I could maybe sit one pair on my console on top of the BX8s and the other two pairs on the shelf. This should work nice for a theater organ (my primary instrument) as it allows the different sounds to be perceived as coming from different locations.

Thanks for the reply.

Mike.

ppytprs

PostThu Mar 08, 2018 7:46 pm

I tend to use BX5s for all my customers' organs. In a normal domestic room, 4 of them do pretty well.
So with 8, you'll be well away. Use your BX8s for the pedal division perhaps and the BX5s for the rest then you shouldn't be lacking in bass. Should you find that it's a bit boomy because of the ports at the back, you can always block them off with foam. Some monitors even come with a foam plug for this purpose.

ReturningEnthusiast

PostFri Mar 09, 2018 3:37 pm

Ah, block with foam. That's a good idea if the proximity is too much for them. Thanks for the advice.

Mike.

Return to Amplification