It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:29 am

Audio setup

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

josq

Re: Audio setup

PostThu Mar 15, 2018 12:12 pm

If boomy bass is the problem (which is not clear to me from the descriptions above) then your listening room is a very probable culprit. Below ~100 Hz, almost any room performs horrible, if untreated. Room treatment (bass traps) and/or room correction software is needed to solve such problems.

1961TC4ME

PostThu Mar 15, 2018 12:17 pm

Yes, the room could be somewhat of the cause as well, but by all means try what I just posted (my last post on page 1) first.

Marc

jkinkennon

PostThu Mar 15, 2018 5:33 pm

"Yes" to everything I'm reading here.

Be sure your sub and your speakers aren't duplicating the bass content. Set the sub to roll off at 80hz or so. If your hardware allows, set the feed to the main speakers to roll off around 80hz.
EDIT: Low pass for the sub, high pass filtering for the main speakers.

Use the advanced HW settings to correct any notes that are more louder due to room reflections. This accomplishes the same thing as extra room equalization. Room reflections are minimized by damping, either sound treatment, or an upholstered chairs. Irregular surfaces like a sloping ceiling help a lot. It's also helpful when a room opens into another such as with open floor plans.

Use less bourdon in the pedal with more diapason or principal instead. 8' flutes are almost automatically boomy in the pedal in my opinion. Also, lots of samples sets have increasing output as one plays down the lowest octave of 16 foot stops. This can be observed on audio interface metering to assure yourself that the fault is really there. Use the HW controls to correct the slope of the output or to lower the output of the entire rank.

All good ideas...

ptbuzzcut

PostFri Mar 16, 2018 4:32 pm

Thank you Marc. I looked at the Delta setup to see if I had it set as you suggested. I noticed for the outputs, only 1/2 and spdif(9/10)has the option to choose 'mixer' . 3/4, 5/6,7/8 that option is not there . All mine are set to sw return as you stated. However, if I change the spdif from mixer to sw return, there is no audio output. Also as you indicated, I did lower the 'volume' on all sliders . Have not really checked this out while playing--- was also trying something additional:
On one of my setups, I use Hauptwerk vst plugin/Cantabile and Reverberate. I was also now trying to add a vst equalizer and that has me baffled. My thinking was I could lower the frequency response on channels 1-8 ( the JBLs) and let the 9/10 mixdown go to the subwoofer with alteration.

1961TC4ME

PostFri Mar 16, 2018 8:42 pm

ptbuzzcut wrote:Thank you Marc. I looked at the Delta setup to see if I had it set as you suggested. I noticed for the outputs, only 1/2 and spdif(9/10)has the option to choose 'mixer' . 3/4, 5/6,7/8 that option is not there . All mine are set to sw return as you stated. However, if I change the spdif from mixer to sw return, there is no audio output.

No problem, happy to help if I can. Yes, you're right about 1/2 and 9/10 being the only channels where you can select 'mixer' but why selecting 'sw return' on 9/10 results in no output is somewhat of a mystery. I played around with my 1010LT settings tonight just to see if I could duplicate this and I was unable to no matter what I did, I get sound wether I set 9/10 to 'sw return' or 'mixer.'

I would suspect the issue for you lies in the way you have something set up in the audio settings in Hauptwerk itself, which could be causing the issue you report. For each pair of channels 1/2, 3/4 and so on, do you have each of them set up so they are individually sending a mixdown to 9/10? The clue is for me anyways is your selection of 'sw return' for 9/10 resulting in no sound telling me something is different between what I've done and how you have things set. I'd take a careful look through your audio settings / audio groups in Hauprwerk.

Marc

maestropotvin

PostWed Nov 21, 2018 4:44 pm

Hi Martin,

I followed your procedure to the letter and yet, nothing comes out of my sub.
The sub and cables are all working fine.
I use a Behringer FCA610
Audio setup is:
Main speakers are on Digital output
Reverb speakers are on output 1 & 2
Chamades speakers are on output 3 & 4
Woofer is connected to output 5 (mono)

Thanks in advance for your help.

Stephane

maestropotvin

PostSat Nov 24, 2018 12:49 am

I teste the same setup on an alt config and it works.

Any idea how to fix the main config to work as well?

Thanks.

IainStinson

PostSat Nov 24, 2018 8:53 am

I would suggest that you first making a backup (using the HW built-in backup - see page 26 of the manual).

Then
1. In the main configuration deleting all of the output groups and audio outputs
2. In the main configuration setting up the audio from the start in the same was as you did in the alt configuration you are using.
3. You will then need to load and set up the audion output for each of the organs you use in the main configuration.

Alternatively
After you have made the backup you could restore/copy the general settings from the alt config you've configured successfully to the main configuation.

See page 30 in the manual - in the what to restore window untick everything except "Restore Global settings" (i.e. only tick "Restore Gobal settings). You need to select (step 6 on pg 31) which configuration to restore (select only "Just restore setttings for this configuration") and
(step 7) the source configuration (be sure to select the alt config with the working output setup). Proceed to let the restore complete.

Once restored the output setup for the main configuration should now be the same as the alt config you restored.

You will need to load and set the output configuation details for each organ you play from the main configuration. The midi settings (and other per organ data) should be unchanged.

If this goes "wrong" you can always get back to the beginning by restoring the backup you have taken at the start!

Iain
Previous

Return to Amplification