Search:
Submit Search

Audio setup

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...

Re: Audio setup

Postby josq » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:12 pm

If boomy bass is the problem (which is not clear to me from the descriptions above) then your listening room is a very probable culprit. Below ~100 Hz, almost any room performs horrible, if untreated. Room treatment (bass traps) and/or room correction software is needed to solve such problems.
josq

Postby 1961TC4ME » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:17 pm

Yes, the room could be somewhat of the cause as well, but by all means try what I just posted (my last post on page 1) first.

Marc
1961TC4ME

Postby jkinkennon » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:33 pm

"Yes" to everything I'm reading here.

Be sure your sub and your speakers aren't duplicating the bass content. Set the sub to roll off at 80hz or so. If your hardware allows, set the feed to the main speakers to roll off around 80hz.
EDIT: Low pass for the sub, high pass filtering for the main speakers.

Use the advanced HW settings to correct any notes that are more louder due to room reflections. This accomplishes the same thing as extra room equalization. Room reflections are minimized by damping, either sound treatment, or an upholstered chairs. Irregular surfaces like a sloping ceiling help a lot. It's also helpful when a room opens into another such as with open floor plans.

Use less bourdon in the pedal with more diapason or principal instead. 8' flutes are almost automatically boomy in the pedal in my opinion. Also, lots of samples sets have increasing output as one plays down the lowest octave of 16 foot stops. This can be observed on audio interface metering to assure yourself that the fault is really there. Use the HW controls to correct the slope of the output or to lower the output of the entire rank.

All good ideas...
jkinkennon

Postby ptbuzzcut » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:32 pm

Thank you Marc. I looked at the Delta setup to see if I had it set as you suggested. I noticed for the outputs, only 1/2 and spdif(9/10)has the option to choose 'mixer' . 3/4, 5/6,7/8 that option is not there . All mine are set to sw return as you stated. However, if I change the spdif from mixer to sw return, there is no audio output. Also as you indicated, I did lower the 'volume' on all sliders . Have not really checked this out while playing--- was also trying something additional:
On one of my setups, I use Hauptwerk vst plugin/Cantabile and Reverberate. I was also now trying to add a vst equalizer and that has me baffled. My thinking was I could lower the frequency response on channels 1-8 ( the JBLs) and let the 9/10 mixdown go to the subwoofer with alteration.
ptbuzzcut

Postby 1961TC4ME » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:42 pm

ptbuzzcut wrote:Thank you Marc. I looked at the Delta setup to see if I had it set as you suggested. I noticed for the outputs, only 1/2 and spdif(9/10)has the option to choose 'mixer' . 3/4, 5/6,7/8 that option is not there . All mine are set to sw return as you stated. However, if I change the spdif from mixer to sw return, there is no audio output.

No problem, happy to help if I can. Yes, you're right about 1/2 and 9/10 being the only channels where you can select 'mixer' but why selecting 'sw return' on 9/10 results in no output is somewhat of a mystery. I played around with my 1010LT settings tonight just to see if I could duplicate this and I was unable to no matter what I did, I get sound wether I set 9/10 to 'sw return' or 'mixer.'

I would suspect the issue for you lies in the way you have something set up in the audio settings in Hauptwerk itself, which could be causing the issue you report. For each pair of channels 1/2, 3/4 and so on, do you have each of them set up so they are individually sending a mixdown to 9/10? The clue is for me anyways is your selection of 'sw return' for 9/10 resulting in no sound telling me something is different between what I've done and how you have things set. I'd take a careful look through your audio settings / audio groups in Hauprwerk.

Marc
1961TC4ME

Previous

Return to Amplification