It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:24 am

Considering adding a usb attached audio interface

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

Dave Gabry

Considering adding a usb attached audio interface

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 3:59 pm

Currently I am running Hauptwerk basic on a Dell laptop. The on-board sound chip leaves a lot to be desired so I'm considering getting a usb attached audio interface. At this point I don't know much about these. It looks like Hauptwerk basic doesn't allow routing particular ranks to a particular set of speakers? Does that mean that only one pair of speakers can be used, or can these interfaces be configured to use multiple pairs of speakers with Hauptwerk basic?
Thanks,
Dave

magnaton

Re: Considering adding a usb attached audio interface

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 6:39 pm

Hello Dave and welcome to the forum.

You are correct on both counts, a 'pro-sumer' grade or higher audio interface will far surpass the stock D/A chip on your PC's motherboard and the Basic version of HW only allows 2 channel (stereo) operation. The Advanced version opens up to multichannel routing.

For starters review page 14 of the Hauptwerk manual on audio interfaces. For something a little more current and what is popular for Hauptwerk, search the forum for "audio interface".

Most audio interfaces have an application that resembles an audio mixing board. This is because they take the place of a physical mixing board in a recording studio. With this application you may be able to send the same Hauptwerk stereo channels to multiple speakers. This is akin to having an AV deck that has outputs for speakers sets A, B, and maybe C.

Danny B.

Dave Gabry

Re: Considering adding a usb attached audio interface

PostWed Apr 11, 2018 5:46 pm

Thanks Danny!
Dave

Return to Amplification