It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:12 am

Proposal for small church speaker install

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

SKresge

Re: Proposal for small church speaker install

PostMon Feb 18, 2019 3:59 pm

magnaton wrote:Since you want to use the MOTU 16A interface for 16 "main" channels, you can incorporate the 16A's digital output port as an extra stereo output for your 2 subwoofers. This digital port uses a Toslink (fiber optic) cable to connect to an ADAT (8 channels) or S/PDIF (2 channels, L & R) capable device. Using Motu's web control app, you select the respective configuration for this port. For S/PDIF you will need a digital-analog converter like this:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815158316&Description=spdif%20converter&cm_re=spdif_converter-_-15-158-316-_-Product
Then 2 RCA M-M cables (input on the SVS sub is also RCA) to connect them. You'll end up with 18 channels of audio. Sweet!

Danny B.

Danny B., Question for you regarding this message response from earlier. I got all the products mentioned, and was curious, it sounds like you are recommending 1 S/PDIF and using a channel to go to each Sub (like a left and a right).

My question to you since there is two outputs from the MOTU 16A (Channel 1-8 & 9-160, can you use 2 S/PDIF's and have two channels go to each Sub which would actually give you 20 channels or are you limited to using 1 S/PDIF and having the Right go to one Sub and the Left go to the other Sub? and if you only use one which output on the MOTU do you use the Channel 1-8 or 9-16??

Appreciate any guidance I can get on this.

Scott

magnaton

PostMon Feb 18, 2019 7:09 pm

SKresge wrote:My question to you since there is two outputs from the MOTU 16A (Channel 1-8 & 9-160, can you use 2 S/PDIF's and have two channels go to each Sub which would actually give you 20 channels or are you limited to using 1 S/PDIF and having the Right go to one Sub and the Left go to the other Sub? and if you only use one which output on the MOTU do you use the Channel 1-8 or 9-16??

Hi Scott:

I reviewed the MOTU 16A user's manual and p.46 says:
Alternately, the optical ports can be configured for stereo TOSLink (optical S/PDIF)
where "ports" is plural. HOWEVER on p.19 the screen shot shows only Optical A as being configurable for S/PDIF. I strongly believe this is the case because I have the MOTU 24Ao which is pretty much the same technology as the 16A and only 1 optical port (Optical A) can be configured as S/PDIF. I called MOTU several months ago to confirm this. I suggested a firmware upgrade to allow the other Optical ports to be configurable as S/PDIF but the tech responded with that it would be a lot more involved than just firmware.

I take it for your install you don't want a dedicated sub on the Left and one on the Right? Actually I agree. So you'll have split the signal out in a 2 ---> many ratio. Maybe something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Nobsound-Splitter-Switcher-Selector-Passive/dp/B073RCRXPP/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3036JX0CP8RP8&keywords=stereo+rca+distribution+amp&qid=1550533864&s=gateway&sprefix=RCA+stereo+distribution%2Caps%2C230&sr=8-5
Maybe incorporate Y adapters to combine the L & R signals allowing you to run a single cable to each sub.

Danny B.

SKresge

PostMon Feb 18, 2019 7:50 pm

Danny B.

Thanks so much for the quick response. I am working with a "sound" guy and he said he go do a Y adapter to have the L go to one and the R the other. So we will give it a whirl tomorrow.

Thanks again!

Scott

SKresge

PostWed Feb 20, 2019 9:39 am

So, speakers installed, me trying to set up the MOTU 16A a bit of a nightmare yesterday, not understanding the concept, and he not much help . . . Not having internet there makes it more challenging.

So reviewing tutorial videos on the website this morning I think I now better understand the routing grid.

So to use this device for the HW setup we need select the import source along the top row and that would be the 16 inputs from computer and have them correspond to the 16 analogue outputs in the columns going down the left hand side that represents the output connector to speakers.

And for the SPDIF, since i am not at the computer/device, I am thinking there needs to be a 17/18 from computer along the top row to match with the SPDIF for output on the column?? I am hoping to understand this so that when I go back I can actually get the sound coming out of the speakers.

Thanks for any help/guidance anyone can provide.

Scott

organtechnology

PostWed Feb 20, 2019 11:20 am

SKresge wrote:So, speakers installed, me trying to set up the MOTU 16A a bit of a nightmare yesterday, not understanding the concept, and he not much help . . . Not having internet there makes it more challenging.

So reviewing tutorial videos on the website this morning I think I now better understand the routing grid.

So to use this device for the HW setup we need select the import source along the top row and that would be the 16 inputs from computer and have them correspond to the 16 analogue outputs in the columns going down the left hand side that represents the output connector to speakers.

And for the SPDIF, since i am not at the computer/device, I am thinking there needs to be a 17/18 from computer along the top row to match with the SPDIF for output on the column?? I am hoping to understand this so that when I go back I can actually get the sound coming out of the speakers.

Thanks for any help/guidance anyone can provide.

Scott

I found the tech department at MOTU very helpful and patient.
I also found that my cellphone could provide a hot spot for an organ with a WiFi adapter that was sufficiently fast to do the set up.

Best regards,

Thomas
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

magnaton

PostWed Feb 20, 2019 11:37 pm

SKresge wrote:And for the SPDIF, since i am not at the computer/device, I am thinking there needs to be a 17/18 from computer along the top row to match with the SPDIF for output on the column?? I am hoping to understand this so that when I go back I can actually get the sound coming out of the speakers.

That is correct. If memory serves, on the Devices menu (Devices, Routing, Mixing,etc.) this is where you setup the Optical Output A to be Toslink (S/PDIF) instead of ADAT. There is also a Computer Setup section that says :"From Device to Computer" and "From Computer to Device" with a number like 16 out of 32 or similar. It is here I think I had to key in the extra 2 channels, so for your 16A it would be 18. If you had a ADAT device connected that would give you an extra 8 channels (< 96Hz sample rate). Basically this is where you have to tell the MOTU what is attached to those digital output ports.

Danny B.
Previous

Return to Amplification