It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:13 am

Headphones advice appreciated

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

paulw

Headphones advice appreciated

PostSun Apr 28, 2019 11:11 am

Hello all,

There are already a few posts re headphones here, but would appreciate any advice from those seasoned in such things!

I have a humble setup at home (PC & single keyboard) which I use exclusively with headphones (Sennheiser eH-350) which I have loved but are starting to fall apart due to age and wear (I know the feeling!).

I'm looking to replace them and spotted a few recommendations / reviews. However they often say you should look for amplification rather than rely on PC audio out. For example AKG712's.

Given the unlikelihood of getting any more professional audio equipment, does anyone have any models or criteria they'd recommend? I appreciate much is subjective, but I don't want to spend out on a decent pair if then they don't work on a standard audio out.Equally, I appreciate I'm fully aware I'll never get a gold standard sound from a bronze-silver source!

Apart from suggested models, how many of these are the important factors:
* open or closed? It's a family home so guessing closed is better??
* frequency range? Am assuming the wider the better?
* impedance? Not sure how this affects the need or benefit for amplification?

I would so value anyone's thoughts!

Paul

OrganoPleno

Re: Headphones advice appreciated

PostSun Apr 28, 2019 1:02 pm

paulw wrote:Given the unlikelihood of getting any more professional audio equipment, does anyone have any models or criteria they'd recommend?

Why so unlikely? I use the HP4 Headphone Amplifier by PreSonus with my AKG-K701's and it works great.

The cost of the Amplifier (about $100) is far less than the price DIFFERENCE between one set of Headphones and another. So just price both together when judging a possible purchase.

paulw wrote:* open or closed? It's a family home so guessing closed is better??

I prefer open. They are less likely to damage your ears, because you remain aware of background sounds and are less likely to want to "crank them up" all the way. And, for a Family Environment, it means that you are not cut off from the others, but can remain available for conversation even while enjoying the Music.

paulw

PostMon Apr 29, 2019 12:56 am

Thanks so much!

Really appreciate your comments and sharing your experience. Will definitely consider a small amp as part of the bundle. :D

Japio

PostMon Apr 29, 2019 6:58 am

Read this: http://www.contrebombarde.com/concertha ... d/limit/10
I own the Superlux HD 330 and it's a bargain with surprising quality.

AndrewG

PostMon Apr 29, 2019 3:20 pm

I've got the Superlux HD-330 as well (based on several online recommendations from the Hauptwerk community). Pretty good for <30 euros!! Nice bass and pretty full frequency range. Fulfils my needs purely for organ practice. And still working fine after 3 years of pretty heavy usage. (I haven't done a side by side comparison with more expensive options though).

murph

PostMon Apr 29, 2019 3:36 pm

The AKG712 pro work really well with the GigaportHD+ interface. Use HP1 output. The mixed one adds cumulative noise that's noticeable on the 712's,(but not if you use it as a subwoffer mixdown).
(Sennheiser HD650 not so well on it, I keep them on the LittleDotii valve amp, which was designed for them).

Supralux's are a bargain. 668b's work well with the ESI too (get the velour ear-pads.....), but the AKG are better. 8x better is up for debate....(based on their price).

I will say that Sonarworks correction is very worthwhile. Buy it for new-years(sale!) as a late xmas pressie to yourself. You won't be disappointed.

paulw

PostTue Apr 30, 2019 5:56 am

Thanks all.

I did post a thank you yesterday but it didn't seem to have appeared!

It's really interesting about the Superlux's which opens up my budget, as suggested, to an amp as well. Given my PC is a 9 year old Dell (and no financial plans to replace it soon), combining the headphones with a DAC/amp seems the best way to get the best possible experience. Unless you think otherwise!!

Does anyone have any experience of the Dragonfly Black or Red DAC/amp, instead of simply amplifying the audio out from the PC's internal soundcard? My (limited) thinking is that better replacement headphones and this is as good as I could hope to get, whilst keeping things as simple as possible?

Thank you all again :D

Japio

PostTue Apr 30, 2019 1:11 pm

I'm sure you get way better sound with de Dragonfly Red and the Superlux, rather than an expensive headphone, without the Dragonfly.

Hoofdwerk

PostTue Apr 30, 2019 1:43 pm

I'm using Dragonfly Black with AKG702 headphones on my 2019 Lenovo laptop. Despite being a high-end model, I found the quality of the onboard sound from the Thinkpad to be completely unacceptable - especially in that price range. I'm quite happy with the Dragonfly as a fix.

I thought about the Red vs. Black, but decided that because I only listen to music on my laptop (a mix of Wav and MP3), the Black would be good enough. On my HW setup, I've got a dedicated headphone amp going to AKG712 headphones. There's a difference, but it's probably as much due to source material quality as audio reproduction.

murph

PostTue Apr 30, 2019 4:21 pm

Bear in mind that there's no ASIO drivers for the Dragonfly, so latency might be a problem.......

paulw

PostThu May 02, 2019 7:42 am

Thanks all, perhaps I should look at another DAC / heaphones amp with ASIO support...?

Really appreciate all your thoughts

Return to Amplification