It is currently Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:43 am

Advice from the audio experts requested

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

RaymondList

Advice from the audio experts requested

PostMon Dec 23, 2019 12:12 pm

First, thanks for any input and advice that is offered. I have a very simple audio setup here:
MOTU UltraLite Mk4
Two Behringer B2031A monitors
Behringer Subwoofer

I currently have the audio from the basic stereo output (both channels) going to the subwoofer, then from the subwoofer output going to the monitors.
Would I be better off having the stereo output from the MOTU going directly to the monitors, and then taking the Hauptwerk subwoofer mix-down directly to the subwoofer from a different UltraLite output?
Again, thanks for any advice.
Ray

Grant_Youngman

Re: Advice from the audio experts requested

PostMon Dec 23, 2019 12:33 pm

RaymondList wrote:First, thanks for any input and advice that is offered. I have a very simple audio setup here:
MOTU UltraLite Mk4
Two Behringer B2031A monitors
Behringer Subwoofer

I currently have the audio from the basic stereo output (both channels) going to the subwoofer, then from the subwoofer output going to the monitors.
Would I be better off having the stereo output from the MOTU going directly to the monitors, and then taking the Hauptwerk subwoofer mix-down directly to the subwoofer from a different UltraLite output?
Again, thanks for any advice.

I've done it both ways as my audio configuration expanded and shrank over the years. I never noticed any difference, one way or the other. If you add additional stereo pairs to your main channels, then you will need to feed a separate mix down to the sub. But with a single stereo pair and one sub, it's simpler to just feed the sub, and let its internal crossover take care of passing the upper end to the 2031A speakers.
Grant

NickNelson

PostMon Dec 23, 2019 1:00 pm

RaymondList wrote:Would I be better off having the stereo output from the MOTU going directly to the monitors, and then taking the Hauptwerk subwoofer mix-down directly to the subwoofer from a different UltraLite output?

As Grant observes, in terms of quality I doubt it would make much difference.

The only thing that might be useful is that it would give you independent control, adjustable from the console, over the levels being sent to the mains and sub. This would save me crawling around behind the console to tweak the sub's volume control.

Nick

RaymondList

PostMon Dec 23, 2019 2:02 pm

Thank you both for your replies.
Ray

1961TC4ME

PostMon Dec 23, 2019 3:44 pm

Yep, as suggested above, try it both ways. I'd also be inclined to say there should be no difference, but I suppose there's at least the chance if you go from the sub to the monitors that there could possibly be some sort of potential filtering from the sub to the monitors going on that could have a negative effect. I'd go with the signal directly to the monitors if it were my choice, and a separate signal going to the sub as well. If you do it this way you also have more control over the separate monitors / sub. Say you want to bump up the output to the sub some but don't want the same for the monitors or vice versa? With separate signals to each, now you can do that.

Marc

RaymondList

PostMon Dec 23, 2019 10:15 pm

Thank you Marc. That is a good thought regarding any potential filtering from the sub.
Ray

Return to Amplification