It is currently Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:10 pm

Speakers for small practice room

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

Fauxbourdon

Speakers for small practice room

PostSun Feb 16, 2020 9:28 am

Hi,

Does anyone have speaker suggestions for a small room (8ft x 8ft)? I’m using hauptwerk for practice so it’s preferable to be able to hear everything, but doesn’t need to be over complicated! I’ve monitored on headphones exclusively up until now, and use a MOTU mk3. I have some Alesis monitors which are ok, if a bit underwhelming. With space being an issue, I’m looking for something as compact as possible.

The Silver Octopus site talks of using a home cinema sound bar and sub - has anyone tried this?

Thanks

larason2

Re: Speakers for small practice room

PostSun Feb 16, 2020 12:09 pm

I would recommend getting two Yorkville YX10P’s. They have plenty of power, and the wooden enclosure makes a huge difference. If you need a deep lower range, you could add a sub. I don’t have any experience with Subs, and they have been covered extensively in other posts. A recommended one is the presonus Temblor series.

RichardW

PostSun Feb 16, 2020 8:08 pm

The first decision is do you want and can fit a sub?

My room is about 8' x 13' so I have a bit more floor space than you and I opted for a sub which enabled me to choose smaller speakers.

I picked the Neumann KH120 (more letters seem to have appeared gradually after the name since I bought them!). These go down to about 52Hz and fit on a bookshelf. They also have front-facing ports which means they can be placed closer to a wall.

Usually when I change to headphones I hear more detail than with speakers but when I use my AKG K702 headphones all I get is less ambient noise. I feel the speaker details is just as good.

I have two in front and two behind for a surround effect.

I hope this helps, however, speakers are very subjective things.

Regards,
Richard

Dnsmo

PostMon Feb 17, 2020 1:33 pm

Greetings, Fauxbourdon, and welcome to the forum.

My room is roughly 12' x 18', but it's divided in the middle by a freestanding bookcase which separates the room into two smaller spaces. My VPO and speakers are in one half of the room, occupying a footprint almost identical to that of your practice room.

Like Richard, I'm also using a pair of Neumann KH120 5" reference monitors on stands in front, paired with a Neumann KH750 sub. To the rear, I also have a pair of Westlake Lc 8.1s (passive, with a separate amp) on a bookcase against one wall. (The only reason I'm using different speakers in the rear is I happened to have them on hand, and I wasn't using them for anything else.)

Any good pair of reference-quality monitors from manufacturers such as Neumann, Dynaudio, Adam, Focal, Yamaha, JBL, Genelec, or KRK (to name a few) would work nicely in your setup. As Richard said, speakers ARE a very subjective thing. It's great if you can audition them first or if you're buying from a vendor with a reasonable return policy.

If I were you, I wouldn't opt for the Yorkville speakers mentioned above, if for space considerations alone: the cabinets are 19 inches tall! It's overkill for a room your size. You'd be fine with a quality monitor pair or quartet in the 5 to 8-inch range, especially when paired with a sub. And I'd follow Richard's example of using four speakers of the same make and model if you're going with front and rear pairs.

A subwoofer gets you close to full range sound. In choosing a sub, some people here prioritize accurate reproduction of the lowest octave of a 32-foot stop. However, some subs that are not rated to 16 Hz will get you pretty close. Moreover, they WILL make a substantial difference in the lowest octave of 16-foot stops, which I believe is far more important. Just make sure your sub is off the floor using something to decouple its vibrational energy from the floor.

Happy speaker hunting.
Dennis

Fauxbourdon

PostFri Feb 21, 2020 1:31 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. The Neumanns look great, but at over £3k for speakers and sub, they’re more than I was hoping to spend! I’ll have a look at other speaker and sub combinations. Are there any good cheaper alternatives?

Thanks

mnailor

PostFri Feb 21, 2020 2:19 pm

I don't have a specific recommendation, just some scattered notes:

I have a 17' x 17' x 17' ceiling room with open extensions like an upstairs hall and a foyer. I'm using four KRK RP10-3, four Adam A8X, eight Adam A3X, and an SVS sub for that space.

Almost no 32' foundation pitch near 16Hz is audible at the volume level I use because I refuse to shake the piano lid and windows. So a sub isn't absolutely required with the RP10 10" woofers covering the 16' octave okay, but it might feel too lightweight on the bottom of the 16' without a sub.

For a small room, four KRK RP10-3 (or two 10-3 and two rear 8") and maybe no sub would fill the space if you place them away from the console. That would be economical. [Edit: Rereading your post, this doesn't meet your compact size request.]

*But* the RP10s are midfield monitors and not good enough sound quality in the high range if you put them close to your ears, say within 4', in my opinion. Mine are 6 - 8' away and mainly used for basses.

With nearfield monitors close to your ears, you definitely need good detail in the high range, and a sub is necessary because those don't usually have a big woofer. The Adam A*X are great, but expensive.

You might want listen to Adam T7V or T5V (with a sub), as long as you can place them away from walls for the rear ports. Less expensive than the A*X but probably detailed enough in the highs. I can't use them because my upperwork speakers are on wall shelves and need front ports.

I would also listen to the Behringer monitor that many people use as a possibility. I think it's a B2031.

RaymondList

PostFri Feb 21, 2020 3:00 pm

I have two Behringer B2031A's and am quite happy with them. It is quite a small room I have them in, 10 x 12. I bought those because of all the good reports about them on this forum and the price from Sweetwater. I also have a Behringer sub. I'd love to have 8 or 10 of the B2031A's, but I just don't have the room.
Ray

scottherbert

PostSun Feb 23, 2020 10:26 am

While all the suggestions here are top drawer, in all honesty I just got a pair of Technics speakers from the local thrift store. I laid them on their backs facing the ceiling on top of the organ. I have a cheap subwoofer for the bass. In all honesty, It sounds great to me, and that's what matters most!
"Life is just a dream, it is in death that we truly awaken!"

Dnsmo

PostSun Feb 23, 2020 2:57 pm

scottherbert wrote:In all honesty, It sounds great to me, and that's what matters most!

This. What works for the user/player is really what matters in the final analysis.

To the OP, Fauxbourdon, to start, I'd get whatever stereo pair of monitors and sub your budget will allow, based on the suggestions above. Most online vendors have a reasonable return policy if you're not satisfied.

Of course, no matter the room size, the acoustics of your room have a lot to do with sound quality.
Dennis

Return to Amplification