It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:16 am

Crossover

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

Lougheed

Crossover

PostMon Feb 24, 2020 10:15 am

I’m using Hauptwerk 5

How does cross over work?

For example, a Swell 16’ stop - sending the lower notes to the subwoofer and upper notes to the regular speakers with a smooth transition between the two.

micdev

Site Admin

Re: Crossover

PostMon Feb 24, 2020 10:26 am

Good morning,

It is basically the same thing as in Hauptwerk 4. GO to Organ settings | Advanced audio routing | Rank routing to audio. On the right pane you will find the "Bass part of rank" tab where you will find the similar controls that were used in Hauptwerk 4 to route the bass to different channels (bus).

Note it won't be a "smooth" transition. At the split point the audio will be route from your regular speakers to the subwoofer. That' why you will probably want to include in your "bass buss channel" not only a subwoofer but also some satellite speakers so you can hear the higher harmonics of the notes played thru that channels/bus.

Your speakers and subwoofer crossover will take care of properly route the audio frequencies to the sub and satellite speakers.

Regards
Best regards
François

Virtually sharing my enthusiasm and experience with you
Worldwide technical assistance, consultation and ready to play system.

http://www.HauptwerkConsultant.com

AND Hauptwerk Support Manager

Lougheed

PostMon Feb 24, 2020 10:45 am

“Your speakers and subwoofer crossover will take care of properly route the audio frequencies to the sub and satellite speakers”.

Maybe yes, and maybe no.

I have been using a Rodgers organ with two subwoofers, six main speakers and two ambient speakers.

However, there are only two audio inputs to route external audio (i.e. Hauptwerk) through the Rodgers, so I’ve been running in stereo.

I am in the process of upgrading to multi-channel setup so audio will not be routed through the Rodgers console, but rather directly from the audio interface to the breakout box/amps.

The question is where has the cross over been happening - in the console, or at the breakout box.

If at the breakout box, I’ll continue to have the cross over function, but if in the console, I will no longer (because audio with no longer be routed through the console.

Lougheed

PostMon Feb 24, 2020 1:42 pm

I have obtained further information. The cross over function does occur in the console, so, since I will be bypassing the console the advice is to get a crossover box (of some sort).

More to research, but this will work!

Grant_Youngman

PostMon Feb 24, 2020 3:20 pm

Lougheed wrote:I have obtained further information. The cross over function does occur in the console, so, since I will be bypassing the console the advice is to get a crossover box (of some sort).

More to research, but this will work!

You don't need an external crossover thingie of any sort. Maybe I just don't understand what you're trying to do?

If you feed low notes of 16/32' ranks to your sub, and have monitors also connected to your sub (presuming it has feed through connections) to handle upper harmonics, the sub and those monitors will handle the crossover function themselves.

The easiest way to manage this is to feed your sub(s) with a mix down of ALL ranks. Your sub(s) will manage the crossover function so that only the frequencies the sub can respond to will be responded to. Usually there's an adjustment for that on the sub. Your monitor speakers will handle the upper notes of the 16/32' ranks and upper partials. No external box needed …
Grant

Lougheed

PostMon Feb 24, 2020 3:41 pm

I don’t have any feed though connections, nor adjustment on the subs, and monitors are not connected to the subs. The crossover is all dealt with in the Rodgers console, which I will be bypassing in order to obtain multi-channel audio (for Hauptwerk). Hence, I require an alternative solution.

organtechnology

PostMon Feb 24, 2020 5:23 pm

Lougheed wrote:I don’t have any feed though connections, nor adjustment on the subs, and monitors are not connected to the subs. The crossover is all dealt with in the Rodgers console, which I will be bypassing in order to obtain multi-channel audio (for Hauptwerk). Hence, I require an alternative solution.

As long as the upper limit on the sub is lower than the lower limit of the satellite speakers you should be able to get by without a crossover. If you need a crossover the simplest may be Reaper high pass/low pass active filters. They can be multi-channeled without a problem.

Thomas
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

Return to Amplification