It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:41 pm

Mono in Version V

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

deftech

Mono in Version V

PostWed Apr 01, 2020 1:17 pm

How is the most accurate way to get mono reduction from stereo sample sets in Version V? I would like to avoid phase cancellation as much as possible.

It looks like the dynamic routing in Version V would be useful to distribute pipe sound across a group of mono speakers. It appears that if a system has enough mono channels, each pipe in any chord would have its own channel.

I have some sample sets that responded well to mono reduction in Version IV and it sounded as if there were pipes in the room.

Lougheed

Re: Mono in Version V

PostWed Apr 01, 2020 5:38 pm

deftech wrote: I would like to avoid phase cancellation as much as possible.

What is phase cancellation?

mdyde

Re: Mono in Version V

PostThu Apr 02, 2020 3:36 am

Hello deftech,

All audio mixer buses are internally stereo-capable. However, for each mixer bus's audio output device channel(s) setting you can either select stereo (a pair of device channels), or mono (just a single channel). The 'Mono: ...' device channel entries are at the bottom of the list, after the 'Stereo: ...' ones. (v5 allows 1024 device channels, so there are lot of entries in the list.)

If you want mono output then you just need to select the appropriate 'Mono: ...' device channel for each mixer bus, and load the relevant ranks in mono. When loading a rank in mono Hauptwerk (v5, as for previous versions) selects and loads just the loudest of the two channels in each stereo sample (adjusting the amplitude appropriately). That avoids any mixing of left and right channels, and thus avoids any possibility of phase cancellation between them.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Amplification