It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:08 am

Behringer 2031A auto power mode

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

magnaton

Behringer 2031A auto power mode

PostThu Jun 11, 2020 10:31 am

Ah yes, the beloved Hauptwerk active monitor poster child :D
This model has an "auto power" mode switch akin to a powered sub that will turn on when an audio signal is detected. This works REALLY WELL in that there is zero delay when they wake up and start to play. I did a few experiments between the "On" and "Auto" mode and couldn't tell the difference.

Question. Is anyone using the "auto" mode on a full time basis? The manual says to turn the power switch off for long pauses (of non use). I'm guessing this is a sleep mode where there is still a little power draw happening. I'm thinking of switching all my 2031A speakers to the "auto" mode which would eliminate a Hauptwerk startup step for me.

Regards.

Danny B.

Grant_Youngman

Re: Behringer 2031A auto power mode

PostThu Jun 11, 2020 11:16 am

They still seem to draw noticeable power when in Auto Off, and continue to run slightly warm. Not hot, just warm. Some of mine (3 of the 6 I'm currently using) won't actually go into sleep mode at all, even when the audio interface and computer are powered off. On one of them, the power light dims, but doesn't go out. Clearly something isn't working as advertised consistently.

And of course, if you leave a sample set up, the speakers carrying background blower noise, etc. won't turn off.

I have always had mine on X-10 controlled outlets, so a single button push at the console will turn them all on or off. There's a benefit to having at least one not work right — so I know I forgot to power them down :D
Grant

engrssc

PostThu Jun 11, 2020 12:19 pm

Grant_Youngman wrote:There's a benefit to having at least one not work right — so I know I forgot to power them down :D

Known to be a positive negative. :shock:

Rgds,
Ed

dw154515

PostThu Jun 11, 2020 6:39 pm

Danny, I played around with this as well a while back - not on the organ at GUMC but the pair I keep on my desk. At least on these two, I DID notice a delay when turning on. Albeit slight, I just assumed they were all that way, so I just leave them on at all times. (I turn the circuits off at the church.)

If you don't notice the delay, then this adds to the peculiarity. Behringer has always had a reputation for being the best bang for the buck, if you don't mind a few foibles.
Drew A. Worthen
Master of Music in Composition - Butler University
http://www.drewworthen.com
Director of Music & Website Admin - Greenwood UMC
http://www.greenwoodumc.org
Design Engineer - American Sound and Electronics - Indy
https://americansound.cc/

engrssc

PostThu Jun 11, 2020 9:48 pm

dw154515 wrote:Behringer has always had a reputation for being the best bang for the buck if you don't mind a few foibles

Someone once told me a while back that they tend to tolerate Behringer's few foible's because it was covered by their many admirable qualities. (Suppose that's the best way to look at such situations?)

Rgds,
Ed

brooke.benfield

PostFri Jun 12, 2020 12:22 pm

I have 56 of these in my installation and at some point, I accidentally put 2 or 3 of them in the Auto Power mode. The problem with that was if they went into sleep then they wouldn't wake up. I could power them off and then they would play again so I really thought I had some failing speakers until I got out the ladder and climbed up into the speaker array only to discover them being in Auto Power mode - Huge Relief. I'd recommend not using the feature.
Brooke Benfield
Organist, Gethsemane Lutheran Church
Portland OR

engrssc

PostFri Jun 12, 2020 12:34 pm

Do you power all the speakers off manually when not needed? Also do you leave the computer powered on 24/7 ? This question keeps coming up in light of eliminating the "klunk" or other computer generated noise that could potentially damage speakers. I have my own solution to this as do many others.

The Crown CT8150 power amps that we use have a manually (remote controllable) Deep Sleep mode which effectively shuts down all 8 channels of the amp using a two wire connection on the amp's back panel. Besides eliminating the "klunk" by using the "Ready" signal from Hsupteerk to control the amp/speakers, that feature can by switched from the console's External Speaker switch so that the organist can practice "silently" via headset., with no sound from the speakers.

Rgds,
Ed

dw154515

PostFri Jun 12, 2020 4:44 pm

I will also add, that this works in a similar fashion to a gate. The more gain you have hitting the speakers input will affect its ability to respond.
Drew A. Worthen
Master of Music in Composition - Butler University
http://www.drewworthen.com
Director of Music & Website Admin - Greenwood UMC
http://www.greenwoodumc.org
Design Engineer - American Sound and Electronics - Indy
https://americansound.cc/

magnaton

PostFri Jun 12, 2020 10:18 pm

dw154515 wrote:I will also add, that this works in a similar fashion to a gate. The more gain you have hitting the speakers input will affect its ability to respond.

A ha, that's the ticket. I experimented with Great stops and medium to loud registrations. Had I pulled a Dulciana in a closed Swell then I probably would have noticed a delay or possibly no sound.

I'm dropping this concept and keeping my 2 switch system: 1 for audio, 1 for everything else. Like Ed mentioned this makes for an easy remedy for headphone only practice. I will keep my dedicated En Chamade 2031A monitors on "auto" as they are 26 feet back from the console placed close to the ceiling. 8)

Danny B.

Doug S.

PostMon Jun 15, 2020 12:02 am

I'm heartbroken Behringer no longer offers the 2031p passive version.
Doug

Return to Amplification