It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:22 am

Anyone Use Wireless Headphones?

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

Henrius

Anyone Use Wireless Headphones?

PostFri Dec 04, 2020 8:23 pm

I really enjoy practicing with some nice Sennheiser headphones I bought a long ago, but find the cord from the computer confining. Same is true when I play harpsichord samples on my synthesizer.

Do any of you use cordless headphones? Is the sound quality as good?

I don't understand Bluetooth cordless via the computer versus cordless using a synthesizer which has no bluetooth. Seems like I would need some sort of transmitter for the synth. Are there any good headphones which I could use for both Hauptwerk and my synthesizer?

Would appreciate some recommendations on brands and models and far as comfort and sonic quality.

larason2

Re: Anyone Use Wireless Headphones?

PostFri Dec 04, 2020 9:26 pm

There have been multiple postings in the past on Bluetooth and other wireless headphones, and the consensus has been that they are not worth it because of the latency. I have a Bluetooth headset, and I agree the latency is too much (in Bluetooth mode, I use it to practice on a regular basis in wired mode). There is some talk about new hardware with lower latency, but I don’t think it has materialized yet.

marcus.reeves

PostSat Dec 05, 2020 9:38 am

I use a pair of Grado EW100 headphones and a Sennheiser BT transmitter. As these support the aptX Low Latency codec, they are perfectly playable with Hauptwerk. I usually have a sound delay of around 22ms.
Best wishes,
Marcus

Henrius

PostSun Dec 06, 2020 7:44 am

marcus.reeves wrote:I use a pair of Grado EW100 headphones and a Sennheiser BT transmitter. As these support the aptX Low Latency codec, they are perfectly playable with Hauptwerk. I usually have a sound delay of around 22ms.

Thanks! How much money did these two items cost you? The BT transmitter plugs into an audio-out jack?

Wonder what I could compare 22ms with. I once performed on an organ with the console at the back and the pipes in the front of a large church, and found myself playing the next 16th note while hearing the last. Confusing for awhile, but a got used to it.

marcus.reeves

PostSun Dec 06, 2020 3:28 pm

The Grados currently retail at around £170 but be warned, they are open backed so leak noise massively. They are quite retro in design too, although they sound amazing. The BT transmitter is around £70 new, although I picked up an Amazon Warehouse one. I connect it to my Focusrite interface so I don’t have to switch audio devices in HW.

I don’t really know what is deemed acceptable when it comes to audio latency but I don’t notice an issue with 22ms. If it’s more than 30ms then I start to notice.
Best wishes,
Marcus

NickNelson

PostSun Dec 06, 2020 4:25 pm

Henrius wrote:Wonder what I could compare 22ms with.

Roughly, 1 mS is equivalent to 1 ft or 30cm separation from the sound source.

So a 22 mS delay is like moving the console 22 feet further away from the the pipes (compared with the
latency already in the system from other sources).

Nick

Henrius

PostSun Dec 06, 2020 4:43 pm

marcus.reeves wrote:I use a pair of Grado EW100 headphones and a Sennheiser BT transmitter. As these support the aptX Low Latency codec, they are perfectly playable with Hauptwerk. I usually have a sound delay of around 22ms.

Sorry to bother you again, but Sennheiser has so many BT transmitters. Which one did you buy? They make so many.

Will take you word on the sonic quality of the Grados, but I really prefer closed design to block out noise as much as possible.

marcus.reeves

PostSun Dec 06, 2020 5:07 pm

NickNelson wrote:
Henrius wrote:Wonder what I could compare 22ms with.

Roughly, 1 mS is equivalent to 1 ft or 30cm separation from the sound source.

So a 22 mS delay is like moving the console 22 feet further away from the the pipes (compared with the
latency already in the system from other sources).

Nick

That’s true but when playing a ‘real’ organ, there is an inherent latency in the action and the speech of the pipes as well. I think it’s a bit more subtle than measuring against the speed of sound?
Best wishes,
Marcus

marcus.reeves

PostSun Dec 06, 2020 5:11 pm

Henrius wrote:

Sorry to bother you again, but Sennheiser has so many BT transmitters. Which one did you buy? They make so many.

Will take you word on the sonic quality of the Grados, but I really prefer closed design to block out noise as much as possible.

I think they only make one - BT T100.
Best wishes,
Marcus

NickNelson

PostMon Dec 07, 2020 5:28 am

marcus.reeves wrote:That’s true but when playing a ‘real’ organ, there is an inherent latency in the action and the speech of the pipes as well.

That's what I meant by "compared with the latency already in the system from other sources".

Maybe it could have been more explicit.

Nick

marcus.reeves

PostMon Dec 07, 2020 5:58 am

NickNelson wrote:
marcus.reeves wrote:That’s true but when playing a ‘real’ organ, there is an inherent latency in the action and the speech of the pipes as well.

That's what I meant by "compared with the latency already in the system from other sources".

Maybe it could have been more explicit.

Nick

Ah! Got you. Apologies for misunderstanding.
Best wishes,
Marcus

Pete46beards

PostWed Aug 18, 2021 11:42 am

I have excellent Bluedio headphones, which are Bluetooth-capable. They work fine from my MacBookPro with YouTube or anything else, but I cannot make Hauptwerk play through them. What am I missing? There must be some setting within Hauptwerk that I can't find.
Pete46Beards

larason2

PostWed Aug 18, 2021 11:51 am

Recently some have reported success with specialized bluetooth hardware and matching headsets with Hauptwerk, but failing that, most commonly used bluetooth protocols have way too much latency to make them practical for Hauptwerk. I have a pair of Beats Studio 3’s I use for Hauptwerk, but I can only use them wired. Bluetooth is way too much latency. So you may be able to buy a specialized USB receiver to get it to work, but there’s not really a setting in Hauptwerk that I know of that’s going to make the difference.

Return to Amplification