It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:19 am

Best speakers for non pedal stops

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

John Oss

Re: Best speakers for non pedal stops

PostMon Feb 27, 2023 8:18 pm

I thought I should clarify about this high pitched squeal that I'm hearing on some of the speakers that I have been using. This "squeal" is only noticeable on 8' and 4' flutes. I never hear it on principals, strings, reeds, or mixtures. Anyway, when I change the channel which has these flutes to other speakers, the squeal goes away so I know that it is not on the sampling, but somehow just coming through on certain speakers. I am trying to keep the cost down, so didn't really want to replace all the speakers, but maybe I will need to do that. The speakers that I have which don't make the squeal are a set of old Rodgers bi-speakers, another set of Rodgers full range speakers, and a set of Peavey tower PA speakers.

John Oss

PostMon Feb 27, 2023 8:38 pm

Hi There,
I seem to show more ignorance with each response I give, haha. I just wanted to clarify what this squeal sound is that I'm hearing on certain speakers. The high pitched squeal (almost like a dog whistle) is only noticeable on the Swell 8' and 4' flutes and in the middle C octave and the octave above mostly. When I switch that channel to other speakers it goes away. The speakers I have hooked up to that at the moment are one set of Rodgers bi-speakers and I also had a set of Allen full range speakers that I got used (perhaps they had been blown?) Anyway, this squeal I isolated to coming out of the Allen tweeters, (on both speakers) so I have just disconnected them and am wanting to replace them with other speakers that don't have the high squeal. Hopefully, my description here makes the problem more clear. Any suggestions?
John

josq

PostTue Feb 28, 2023 4:11 am

If you play a flute stop in the middle C octave and the octave above, and the squeal is
* inaudible when playing a single note or an octave interval
* best audible when playing a non-octave interval (2 notes)
* decreasingly audible when playing more notes
* increasingly audible when playing louder (volume increase, not more stops)
then it could be intermodulation distortion.

Intermodulation distortion can be created by any component in the audio chain (amplifier, speakers) that has bad distortion overall, but also psychoacoustically (tartini tones).

edit: you say the squeal is high pitched. Distortion tones are often heard as a lower pitched "drone".

Is the squeal an overtone / harmonic of the flutes?

John Oss

PostTue Feb 28, 2023 3:45 pm

Hello Again,
I very much appreciate all the suggestions on my speaker selection. Just to clarify, the only set of speakers that are causing this issue were Allen full range speakers and are within 10 years old. The odd "squeal" is only noticeable on 8 and 4' flutes in the middle C octave and the one above that. For instance, when you play middle C, you hear the fundamental tone and then also a very high pitched sound (almost like a dog whistle) coming through on most notes in that 2 octave range. When I changed that channel to other speakers, the squeal stopped. Anyway, I mentioned earlier about trying the Rockville (SPG128 12) speakers and they had a far greater squeal than the Allen ones. I am back to shopping again and hope to not waste more money...

John Oss

PostTue Feb 28, 2023 3:47 pm

Sorry to repeat my messages, but it seemed like they didn't go through, so I wrote them over...I finally realized that they went on page 2, haha!

larason2

PostTue Feb 28, 2023 11:18 pm

Maybe you could consider the Yorkville YX12C. It has a big 12 inch woofer and a decent sized 1.4 inch tweeter. It's 200 watts, so not too much, and at a fairly reasonable price. The enclosure is plywood, so better than plastic, though they would be heavy. I have a pair of related Yorkville active monitors, and I'm quite happy with them for Hauptwerk. They are sort of a PA type enclosure, but more designed for general music reproduction, and so a bit more sensitive. The ones I have are pretty flat frequency response, but have a fair bit of detail. There's other companies that make a similar sort of cabinet around the same range though if you look for them. The crossover on mine are pretty good.

Still, personally I would prefer to fix up the Allens!
Previous

Return to Amplification