It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:32 pm

Mixer Preset & Multi Channel Routing

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

SKresge

Mixer Preset & Multi Channel Routing

PostFri Aug 11, 2023 5:56 am

I have 4 stereo pairs, sub and headphone set up with MOTU UltraLite mk5 and HW 7 Advanced and using multichannel setup.

On page 203 of the HW 7 user guide it states that the Mixer Preset “allows you to apply different audio routings and impulse response reverbs to different organs.”

It goes on the give an example that you could set up different mixer presets for wet stereo, wet surround, and another for dry organs.

But since it states that you can apply different audio routings for different mixer presets, shouldn’t I be allowed to set up a mixer preset by division (going to different speakers sets) on one and then set up another mixer preset for different ranks to go to different sets (i.e. flutes, reeds, principals, etc.) and be able to switch between the two to hear the different the routing has on the same organ in my space?

I did this for one organ to test it and had a mixer preset set by division, had one going only to headphones which worked together and then tried to add a third where I routed by pipe length (larger in lower speakers and shorter/mixtures in the upper speakers), then when I went back to the division or the headphones there was no sound. Apparently when I used the Rank Routing to go to a different primary buses based on pipe size versus the original first four setup for divisions, the sound cannot be seen in the original?

How does one go about setting up different routings like I stated that can be changed quickly so you can hear the difference between the two? Or used by different organs where division routing would be preferred over some other type, like by pipe size or timbre?

Scott

mdyde

Re: Mixer Preset & Multi Channel Routing

PostFri Aug 11, 2023 6:55 am

Hello Scott,

If I understand correctly, you're hoping to have several different/independent routings saved for the same organ, and be able to switch freely back and forth between them. Currently in Hauptwerk (v5-v7) that isn't possible because an organ's rank routing/voicing (the contents of the "Organ settings | Rank routing ..." and "Organ settings | Rank voicing ..." screens) is per-organ (only one set for the given organ), not per-mixer-preset. I.e. there is only one set of rank routing/voicing for each given organ, not one per-organ-per-mixer-preset. However, we do aim to add functionality to allow multiple independent sets of rank routing/voicing for any given organ in a future version of Hauptwerk.

Hence currently, if, for example, you have a particular rank routed to group number 23, and then you change the organ's mixer preset setting, then that rank will route to group number 23 in the newly-selected mixer preset (instead of group 23 in the previously-selected mixer preset). Changing the mixer preset that's selected for the organ doesn't, in itself, change the group numbers that ranks route to.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

SKresge

PostFri Aug 11, 2023 7:16 am

mdyde wrote:However, we do aim to add functionality to allow multiple independent sets of rank routing/voicing for any given organ in a future version of Hauptwerk.

Martin,

Thanks as always for your prompt response! Good to know it will be an option in a future version!

Scott

mdyde

PostFri Aug 11, 2023 7:24 am

Thanks, Scott. You're very welcome.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Amplification