Search:
Submit Search

UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply)

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...

UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply)

Postby elia » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:50 am

Throughout the forum there is no article that speaks of UPS. The most important aspect is that of stability followed by the electrical continuity.
With many speakers and a subwoofer for a large space (the church) you can reach easily with 2 or 3kW of power to be treated.

Expecting advice from those with experience.

Thank you
Elia
elia

Re: UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply)

Postby bcollins » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:04 am

At Zion we have a 1400VA UPS. You can see it in the right rack at the bottom in this photo.
But it is only to provide continuous power for the PC until an orderly shutdown can occur.
The DAC (ADA8000) and the active crossovers are plugged into a good surge protector, seen above the UPS.
The amps are plugged directly into a custom series of power outlets which are wired into a contact relay for switching on and off at the console. In other words no protection for the amplifiers; just a dedicated circuit breaker for the amplifiers and other audio equipment. (The amplifiers and other audio gear in the left rack are on a different circuit than the PC in the right rack).

I don't see the point in providing battery backup for power to all the amplifiers. That would require a huge UPS!
We have very clean power in our area. However, if your power is unstable due to brown-outs, surges, spikes, etc. perhaps you would want to consider some units such as these by APC, which are considerably cheaper.
http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=LE1200&tab=features

And I've been considering something like this for RFI/EMI interference
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/270062-REG/ART_PB_4_X_4_PB_4x4_Rackmount_8.html#features
although, perhaps there's something better out there. I haven't really researched it.
Bob Collins
bcollins

Postby elia » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:26 pm

Thanks Bob,
the best there is no end but is more useful to have a balanced system. I am not an expert in the field but I want to point out an attractive product for audio applications: PurePower APS Power Regenerator/Conditioner

http://www.purepoweraps.com/

Elia

Over the years we have seen various kinds of audiophile power cables some of which contain special filters, and others that have their electrical characteristics altered to make them serve as low-pass filters. The APS is a more active approach: “The utility supply from the wall is converted by a rectifier to direct current. This DC is then used to regenerate a new clean AC source in the APS’s inverter circuit.”
Elia
elia

Postby bcollins » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:14 pm

Very cool... that would definitely be just the ticket I think in a professional installation with a good budget.
Bob Collins
bcollins

Return to Amplification