It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:40 pm

Conn Speakers Amplification

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

jwrigh10

Conn Speakers Amplification

PostFri Dec 11, 2009 4:17 pm

I have some Conn 145 speaker units (each unit has 2 (6 x 9) speakers). I have rewired my Conn 640 and use HW 3. I would like to by some amps so I can run the speakers. I am currently looking at a Samson Servo 200 with 100 watts per channel @ 4 ohms (stereo) 200 watts into 8 ohms (bridged mono mode). Is there enough power to connect one Conn unit per channel? I am not sure how much impedance there per speaker and I don't want to burn up a new amp.

Thanks for your help.
JWrigh10

engrssc

Re: Conn Speakers Amplification

PostFri Dec 11, 2009 6:50 pm

You are more apt to burn up those speakers applying 100 watts. I use a 35 watt amp for each of mine. More than enough sound pressure in our music room. Conn pipe speakers are fill-ins, not primary speakers. I wouldn't push much bass into them either.

Rgds,
Ed

jwrigh10

PostFri Dec 11, 2009 10:39 pm

Thanks Ed,

Can you tell me what amp you use (make/model)? I assume you rewired them for a 1/4 plug. Did you change the wiring or leave them wired in parallel (?). I don't want to do anything stupid and end up destroying something.

Jim
JWrigh10

engrssc

PostFri Dec 11, 2009 10:57 pm

Not sure what model, but I had a couple older Radio Shack amps around and used them. The amps don't have a very wide freq response, but as it is, I didn't want that much either. I route some reed stops thru them and they sound quite good, that is along with the other full range speakers in our setup. BTW, each spkr has it's own amp. They don't play on all sample sets either, just the ones that I thought would work to their best advantage.

I took mine apart and mounted them to a wall on either side of the patio doors, so they are approx 8 feet apart. Fished the wires thru the wall so all you see is the pipe/speakers. Look kind neat that way. I just used 18 gauge twisted pair wire between each speaker and amp. Another thing, since I took the speakers apart, I connected the wires internally to the terminal strip so you don't see any wiring on the outside.

While we were at it, I installed a couple recessed lights to focus on each pipe/speaker so they are not only functional, but kind of a piece of wall hanging "art".

Rgds,
Ed

jwrigh10

PostFri Dec 11, 2009 11:06 pm

Thanks Ed for the reply.

I will keep doing some investigation. I wondered if a car amp would work-they are certainly a lot cheaper than a rack amp. I wasn't going to route the bass through the speakers so I guess range of frequency does not have to be that big as you pointed out. I will keep investigating and researching. Thanks for the insight.

Jim
JWrigh10

engrssc

PostSat Dec 12, 2009 8:17 am

A car amp would work except for the problem of the need for a 12 volt power source. BTW, 2 of these units could be connected in parallel and wired to the same amp. If you have them separated a bit and wire them out of phase (with each other), you get an interesting effect, at least you can hear it walking around. The reason that I connected them each to a separate amp is because of the H/W audio routing setup (C/C# split) that I use.

Rgds,
Ed

BTW, you may have noticed some of these Conn pipes that appear on ebay and the Internet are quite a bit over priced. A few interesting articles (which you may have seen) about them are here: http://organforum.com/forums/thread/49658.aspx, http://www.organservice.com/conn/connpipes.htm and http://organforum.com/forums/thread/48217.aspx

jwrigh10

PostMon Dec 14, 2009 9:28 pm

Ed,

Thanks for the reply. I have discovered those other sites and have been reading up. It appears that I have two model 144's. Each unit is 16 ohms (not sure on the wattage). I don't have the advanced version of HW3 and am waiting on v. 4 to upgrade to the advanced version.

Jim
JWrigh10

Return to Amplification