It is currently Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:33 am

Behringer Equipment

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

Sandy Hackney

Behringer Equipment

PostSun Jan 10, 2010 6:28 pm

A number of people have cited Behringer. I am thinking of adding to my Rodgers C440 for external speakers (all for the love of Hauptwerk of course), two Behringer Truth B2031A Passive monitors plus a Behringer B2092A Subwoofer and a Behringer A 500 studio reference amp. First simple question, will the amp drive all three components? Second, what would the list say about this arrangement? Any other (less expensive!) ideas? It is for a small studio 12 x 30 feet. Thank you!

Eric Sagmuller

Re: Behringer Equipment

PostSun Jan 10, 2010 6:58 pm

You cited the B2031A's. These are actually the active versions with built in bi-amps. I would encourage you to use a pair of these with the B2092A. I think you can use a pair of the B2031P's using the A500 amp driven from the subwoofer if you wish. I just feel the bi-amped monitors are a little better, but that is your choice.

Eric

kwbmusic

PostSun Jan 10, 2010 8:25 pm

I use a pair of Behringer Truth B2031's (which are Active) with a B2092A sub-woofer plus a Behringer K1800FX, and feel they are very good for my circumstances. However it is difficult to respond on relative quality as I have nothing with which to compare them. Also my set-up is a small study at home, not necessarily the best for an organ.
Keith

bcollins

PostSun Jan 10, 2010 8:37 pm

Amen.
You will be more pleased with the B2031A (active) monitors than the B2031P. I have both active (2) and passive (8) versions.
See this thread for more info:
http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=5760&p=39901&hilit=B2031P#p39901

BTW- the B2092A sub-woofer is also active and needs no additional amp.
Bob Collins

Lougheed

PostSun Jan 10, 2010 9:13 pm

The Truth B2031A's are nearfield studio montiors, which are fine if you are going to be situated, well, near them. Stretch out your arm, add about 8 to 10 inches (depending on the length of your arms, and that's about the correct distance).

Personally, way to close for organ work, but I guess it depends on your setup, room configuration etc.

Lawrence

Grant_Youngman

PostSun Jan 10, 2010 11:16 pm

Lougheed wrote:The Truth B2031A's are nearfield studio montiors, which are fine if you are going to be situated, well, near them.
Lawrence

They also play quite well if they are some distance. I have 12 of them, perhaps 15 feet from the console, and they play very well. You don't have to have your nose in the woofer cone, just because they are called "near field", to get excellent results.
Grant

bcollins

PostMon Jan 11, 2010 2:12 am

I only run 2 ranks per channel, but even so they fill my 80,000 ft3 space quite nicely - from the organ chamber.
In fact, better than any other speakers I have. These are powerful little buggers with the matching sub-woofer.
Bob Collins

Eric Sagmuller

PostMon Jan 11, 2010 8:11 am

I've found they work very well from close up to many feet away. If they are designed for near field you'd never know it.

Eric

Sandy Hackney

Re: Behringer Equipment - Active/Passive?

PostMon Jan 11, 2010 9:54 am

Thank you all for your replies. I AM getting closer. Yet, another simple question. What is the difference between "active" and "passive" monitors and does one require an amp and the other does not? Further, will the subwoofer require an amp even if I don't need one for the monitors. Sorry to be so ignorant but I am really being helped a lot now. Thank you.

BarryG

PostMon Jan 11, 2010 4:05 pm

"Active" means that the amplifier is built-in as part of the monitor/speaker box. You'll need to run a power cord to each such speaker, plus a low-level audio signal from your computer's audio interface. "Passive" units need to be fed an amplified signal from a separate amplifier, so only that speaker wire connection from the amp to them. The 2092a subwoofer you mention is "active".

Barry Gerken

MDavenport

PostThu May 06, 2010 6:38 am

I was following your lead that you had mentioned on the Hauptwerk Forum about getting and using Behringer B2031A monitors. I got them via UPS this afternoon.

Now that I have them, how do I set them up? Do I plug them right into the computer, or do I need something else between the computer and the monitors?

I am such a nubie when it comes to this stuff.

Thanks,

-=Martin=-

wurlitzerwilly

PostThu May 06, 2010 7:46 am

MDavenport wrote:I was following your lead that you had mentioned on the Hauptwerk Forum about getting and using Behringer B2031A monitors. I got them via UPS this afternoon.

Now that I have them, how do I set them up? Do I plug them right into the computer, or do I need something else between the computer and the monitors?

I am such a newbie when it comes to this stuff.

Thanks,

-=Martin=-

This will depend a little on what sound card you are using.
Some of the older two channel ones don't have enough output and you'd need a pre-amp, but mostly the multi-channel cards are OK. Easiest way to find out is to try it. Turn the SOUND CARD over all volume right down, then connect the speakers and gradually increase the sound card over all volume. That way you won't overload anything, and you will finally be able to tell if they will be loud enough without distortion.

Remember that Behringer TRUTH 2031As are Studio Monitors and will show up every little blemish in a system. Be prepared to be disappointed until all adjustments are made and all possible bugs removed. :)

BTW You were lucky to get those speakers, they must be some of the last to be available. Behringer have stopped making that model, so I guess yours were from dealer stock.
Regards,

Alan.
(Paramount Organ Works)

Eric Sagmuller

PostThu May 06, 2010 8:19 am

wurlitzerwilly wrote:BTW You were lucky to get those speakers, they must be some of the last to be available. Behringer have stopped making that model, so I guess yours were from dealer stock.

Really? That's news to me. Such a popular model. I've got a few sets I'll probably be selling here soon as I'll be going to the Mackie HR824's as I can find them. I know the B3031A is new, but have found very little feedback as to how people like them.

Eric

MDavenport

PostThu May 06, 2010 12:12 pm

Thanks for the answer. But there are two different type of connectors that go into the sound card and into the monitor. Where would I find cable that has the tiny connector that goes into the sound card and the larger plug that goes into the monitor?

Should I plug each monitor into a single socket in the sound card or what?

As I said, I am a nubie at this and don't know quite how to ask the questions that I need answered.

Thanks,

-=M=-

mdyde

PostThu May 06, 2010 12:14 pm

Hello Martin,

Thanks for the answer. But there are two different type of connectors that go into the sound card and into the monitor. Where would I find cable that has the tiny connector that goes into the sound card and the larger plug that goes into the monitor?

Should I plug each monitor into a single socket in the sound card or what?

What audio interface (sound card) are you using?
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

[Please use email or the Contact page if you need to contact us privately, rather than private forum messages.]
Next

Return to Amplification