It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:54 pm

Def Tch Subwoofer Kit

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

Jim Reid

Def Tch Subwoofer Kit

PostFri Mar 05, 2010 11:58 pm

Have any Hauptwerk folks built up the kit Definitive Technology
Reference sub-woofer; this unit features a 14"driver, plus
two 14" passive cones on the sides! See:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Definitive-Technolo ... 2eab2caa5a

Might be interested, IF anyone else has tried one.

This fellow seems to sell only various components of about all Definitive Technology speakers. Interesting site.
Jim Reid

toplayer2

Re: Def Tch Subwoofer Kit

PostSat Mar 06, 2010 12:55 am

Jim,

Thanks for this post and link. Very interesting and possibly a great way to save some serious cash. One hopes that the dealer is legitimate. Another intriguing option is the DIY Maelstrom-21 for a similar amount of money (sorry, cannot remember who posted this info on the HW forum previously).

http://www.diycable.com/main/default.php

Joe Hardy

johnstump_organist

PostSat Mar 06, 2010 9:57 am

I think I would check with Def tech first. They are very easy to speak with by phone. When I was getting ready to buy mine, I had questions about the Supercube II and III I couldn't find answered on the web site. They answered the phone and put me right through to a rep who answered everything right away. I can't imagine having that in the house. I have supercube II and have to keep it turned down fairly low or else the paintings start to fall off the wall.
John

cknight

PostSat Mar 06, 2010 12:54 pm

Another intriguing option is the DIY Maelstrom-21 for a similar amount of money (sorry, cannot remember who posted this info on the HW forum previously).

Hi, Joe. That would be me. I'll know later this month how a pair of M-21's perform in a 350-seat room.
Clinton Knight
Apex, NC, USA
http://ambassadororgan.wordpress.com/

toplayer2

PostSat Mar 06, 2010 1:02 pm

cknight wrote:
Another intriguing option is the DIY Maelstrom-21 for a similar amount of money (sorry, cannot remember who posted this info on the HW forum previously).

Hi, Joe. That would be me. I'll know later this month how a pair of M-21's perform in a 350-seat room.

Thanks for the reminder, always like to give credit where due. I do hope you will share the results of your project. This seems like a killer sub design.

Joe

Eric Sagmuller

PostSat Mar 06, 2010 7:19 pm

Yeah I'm in a quandary right now deciding between building 2 subs using the Maelstrom 18" in Sonotubes, 15" Tempest-X2 in Sonotubes or THT tapped horns.

Alot of people seem to be going with the THT horns for home theater as they are very efficient and powerful. I don't think they will go as low solidly though as the other two using an LLT enclosure. I want solid response down to 15hz to handle the 32's down to bottom C. The Sonotubes would sure look nicer than two giant cubes turned at an angle in each corner. The Maelstrom 18's would be considerably more expensive than the other two options. The horns would be the cheapest.

Eric

craigpfeiffer

PostSat Mar 13, 2010 2:25 pm

Hello All,
Before you buy a subwoofer, check this out: http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-pb12nsd.cfm. I have had this one for a year and love it. It is a big mother, but really does the job.
Craig

Return to Amplification