It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:58 am

Behringer Virtualizer Pro Volume

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

joeltrekell

Behringer Virtualizer Pro Volume

PostSun Apr 25, 2010 7:59 pm

I just bought a Behringer Virtualizer Pro and pluged it in. The effects are great. But the virtualizer lowers the volume like half of what it was before. Is this normal, or do I have a faulty unit or something?
Thanks!
Joel Trekell

jkinkennon

Re: Behringer Virtualizer Pro Volume

PostSun Apr 25, 2010 9:32 pm

Hi Joel,

Two things come to mind immediately. First, are the outputs set to -10dB (consumer)? That's less than half the output level that you'd have from the +4dB setting. Second, if you have a dry/wet (or effects bypass) setting, is it set to mostly mute the incoming (dry) audio?

John

joeltrekell

PostSun Apr 25, 2010 10:34 pm

Hi John,
I have tried the output setting on -10dB and +4dB and you really cannot tell a difference in volume. I'm not sure what you mean by muting the incoming audio. I can hear hauptwerk, and it sounds great, it's just the volume thats bugging me.
Thanks!
Joel Trekell

jkinkennon

PostSun Apr 25, 2010 10:46 pm

Yeah, I don't know your Behringer unit well enough -- just glanced at a manual. What I meant about wet/dry was that most effects boxes give you a choice of hearing just the effect (100% wet) or some combination of the input signal mixed with the effect. If you are hearing 100% reverb then it would be normal for the level to be less. There is probably a control or switch to combine the input signal (dry) with the reverb sound (wet) and that signal mix would normally me louder.

Andrew Grahame

PostMon Apr 26, 2010 2:00 am

Hello Joel,

That volume drop doesn't sound right. I have a Virtualizer Pro and it doesn't do this in my setup. Often I just leave it on regardless of whether I'm playing a wet or dry organ, and simply press the in/out button on the front panel to add or remove the reverb as needed. I have levels balanced through a mixer, and this avoids mucking around with the signal/reverb mix which I've set up. Turning the effect on or off this way makes no difference to the volume of the original signal.

How have you connected yours? Is is through an effects loop on a mixer or are you putting it in series into the audio path between your audio interface and amplifier? Both methods work OK, and the manual describes how to set each one up. At different times I've used each setup - currently the first is in use with my present setup.

There's a function to allow the Virtualizer to switch between full-power mode (assuming external control of effect volume through a mixer) or user-adjustable volume from the Behringer's front panel controls (assuming it's in the insert path) - which way do you have yours set? The manual is admittedly difficult to follow but the instructions on how to toggle between these two volume control options aren't too hard to find.

Andrew Grahame

engrssc

PostMon Apr 26, 2010 5:30 am

Don't know if this is something to follow or not, but a friend bought one to use for his audio system (not H/W) on eBay. Turned out the box was defective and returned it for a refund. Couldn't reach him to find out more details.

Rgds,
Ed

joeltrekell

PostMon Apr 26, 2010 8:48 pm

This is how I have connected it:

From the computer, to the Virtualizer Pro, to the reciever. I do have a mixer I could use. Would this help?
Thanks!
Joel Trekell

Andrew Grahame

PostMon Apr 26, 2010 10:38 pm

Hello Joel,

You have it in the insert path. That means the amount of reverb has to be controlled from the Virtualizer itself. However, if you first press the button to take the effect "out" you should hear just the original signal from the computer, without any reverb added, passing straight through, dry, and without any change in volume. It should sound exactly as it would if you were to connect your computer's output direct to the amplifier without the Virtualizer in between. If, with the Virtualizer connected in series, you then set the Virtualizer's own volume to zero then put the effect "in" you should initially hear no change whatever in the sound. Adjusting the Virtualizer's own volume up from zero should then gradually add reverb to the end result.

Using a mixer is particularly helpful if you have more than one sound source passing through the audio amplifier, as I do. I have the same audio system which I use for Hauptwerk also amplifiying a number of other audio devices at other times. I can thus use the mixer to put reverb only onto the organ channels but not onto the other inputs. That would be the main advantage of a mixer. However, if you do have a mixer you can try to isolate the volume problem by connecting your Hauptwerk sound source through a pair of stereo channels and then linking the Virtualizer into the FX loop on the mixer. There is a diagram in the Virtualizer manual showing how. The Virtualizer's volume should then be set to maximum, and the amount of reverb added to the signal is then controlled by adjusting the FX knobs on the mixer for the channels in question. This way you should be able to set the organ volume first, dry, then add reverb to it with the FX controls.

Andrew

kwbmusic

PostTue Apr 27, 2010 12:31 am

Andrew, apologies for butting in here. I have been searching the Owners Manual to see whether I can amplify the output volume through the DSP2024, so far without success. Your use of the word "volume" struck my attention. However am I right in assuming that the output volume does not change using the MIX/BYPASS control, but it is the percentage of wet and dry sounds that changes? Without an increase in volume?
Thanks, Keith.

Andrew Grahame

PostTue Apr 27, 2010 3:03 am

Hello Keith,

"Volume" here refers to the level of reverberated signal, not to the original signal. My virtualizer is the DSP1000P - probably much earlier than yours. Its manual talks about the difference between "Internal Mix" and "External Mix" modes. With mine, the Mix mode is entered with the unit already on, with simultaneous pressing of the EQ HI and EQ LO buttons. If two dashes are displayed, the unit is in "External Mix" mode, with the effect level set at 100 per cent. Holding the EQ HI and EQ LO buttons in for a few seconds toggles between this and the "Internal Mix" mode. This is identified by a number in the display, adjustable via the jog wheel, which allows the effect intensity to be varied from 0 to 100 per cent. This latter mode is useful both in the insert path and if the unit is connected to the effects loop of an amplifier (eg: a guitar or keyboard amp) which doesn't have its own level control.

I should have used the term "effect intensity" as in the manual. I was sending the previous email from away from home, without the manual at hand. This message comes from home, after checking the manual.

What has puzzled me about the initial problem reported by Joel is the apparent difficulty he is having with the overall level, which at first seems to suggest there is something amiss with the initial signal itself. Another thought I have, though, is that somehow he is not getting the original signal at all, but what instead he is hearing is wholly the reverberated signal, at a lower level than the original.

Andrew

kwbmusic

PostTue Apr 27, 2010 4:17 am

Andrew,
re your last para, I have the DSP after the computer output, and after the sound output from the E-MU 0404 USB. The latter has a volume control, which I do need to adjust differently for differing sample sets. I wouldn't know if placing the DSP in line has reduced the volume. Might try to route the E-MU output direct to the speaker system to check whether any difference (to test whether the in-line DSP naturally reduces volume). Unfortunately can't do this until Thursday as I would be conflicting with my wife's art school business!
Thanks for your comments,
Keith

kwbmusic

PostWed Jun 09, 2010 5:35 am

Sorry folks, I didn't get back on this, had an internet problem for a week and than just forgot!
When the DSP is brought on line (from the bypass state) I do lose some volume. On the E-MU unit I have a volume control. With the Metz Organ which is wet, I bypass the DSP and the volume setting is at 12 o'clock but when I introduce the DSP circuitry I lose volume and need to adjust to 1 o'clock. Not a real problem for me.
As an aside I note that various organs have differing "normal" volume settings, even when the General audio setting is the same.
Keith

Return to Amplification