Search:
Submit Search

Speakers and dividing ranks

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...

Speakers and dividing ranks

Postby oliver_mayes » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:40 pm

I bit the bullet today and ordered an EMU 1616m PCIe for the express purpose of adding a second set of speakers. I have the M-audio BX10S subwoofer and a pair of M-Audio BX8a's. I want the second subwoofer to be at least a 12" and welcome any recommendations in the under $1,000 price range. I also will probably buy another pair of BX8a's.

The second part of my question is how to split the ranks. I have the dry Skinner Masterworks as my primary organ. There are 2-32' ranks and 5-16' ranks in the Pedal with one 16' rank in each of the Great, Swell and Choir for 10 ranks that I think would go to the new large powerful subwoofer and it's associated speakers. However, I have no idea where to start with dividing up the rest of the ranks. Here again all suggestions are welcome.

Thanks for any and all recommendations and suggestions.
Ollie Mayes
oliver_mayes

Re: Speakers and dividing ranks

Postby OPUS1883 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:47 am

From My experience, i have found that unless you have a huge amount of speakers, cyclic across the whole range works best in stereo pairs. I have tried all other ways and the result was ok, but just didn't sound right... so personally i would suggest that if you have a subwoofer, maybe route the bass notes to the sub, altohough i found that assigning an auxillery output with all ranks to the subwoofer, then asjust the crossover on the sub accordingly. This way, if you end up playing a 16" rank on your keyboards etc it doesn't split up the sound by half coming from the sub and half from your main speakers, which can be noticeable unless your speakers are in a huge room and a fair distance from you. Then put a few ranks through one pair of speakers and a few throught the other pair. I am using 11 speakers on a 18 rank organ and couldn't get a satisfactory result using anything other than using the "cyclic across the whole compass" option.

Good luck,
Chris
OPUS1883

Postby David Pinnegar » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:20 pm

Hi!

Dividing different ranks to different speakers is a very valuable thing to do.

I have had the ultimate experience of this in routing my Tuba stop to a speaker of its own of a specific design so that it speaks with authority rather than merely plays and is as loud as the whole of the rest of the organ put together, as it should be.

Best wishes

David P
http://www.organmatters.co.uk
David Pinnegar, B.Sc., A.R.C.S.
David Pinnegar

Postby oliver_mayes » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:53 pm

Update:
My E-MU 1616m came last week and I have had time to experiment with the two types of pipe splits. (Cyclic over whole range and dividing whole ranks.) I have two BX10s M-audio supwoofers, and two sets of BX8a's. I send the output of HW to the subs and use their crossovers to go to the BX8a's. Due to space the two subs are on the floor on each side of the table (console) and the two sets of stereo speakers are set on top of each other (stereo fashion) just above the manuals (ear level and a little above).

I set up the speaker groups up as in the tutorial on this forum. I first tried splitting ranks between the speaker sets, but it didn't sound right with pipes coming from each side. I then set them up cyclic (all ranks) over the complete range. C comes from one speaker set, C# on the other speaker set. The next octave is reversed. Since both sets are stereo, the balance left and right is much better. The overall sound is several hundred percent better than with one speaker set alone. Also two subs work well also. So my final result aligns more with Chris than David.

Thank both of you for your advice.
Ollie Mayes
oliver_mayes

Postby David Pinnegar » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:12 am

oliver_mayes wrote: I then set them up cyclic (all ranks) over the complete range. C comes from one speaker set, C# on the other speaker set. The next octave is reversed. Since both sets are stereo, the balance left and right is much better. The overall sound is several hundred percent better than with one speaker set alone. Also two subs work well also. So my final result aligns more with Chris than David.

Thank both of you for your advice.
Ollie Mayes

Dear Ollie

It's a matter of horses for courses. In your arrangement, you're looking for a hi-fi setup reproducing a simulation of an instrument in a wider environment. What you are probably getting in your stereo arrangement is a feeling of being at the console of an instrument with a wider acoustic providing space and one can imagine why the arrangement you say works well does so in reality.

However where one wants an organ to perform in a large space rather than simulate a large space in a small space, one needs to reproduce the pipe, not the organ, and here appropriating speakers to ranks starts to be helpful. It's this approach that I have had to adopt and have done so with a large degree of success.

Best wishes

David P
http://www.organmatters.co.uk
David Pinnegar, B.Sc., A.R.C.S.
David Pinnegar

Return to Amplification