It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:08 am

mr5 vs bx5a

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

polikimre

mr5 vs bx5a

PostSat Sep 18, 2010 8:09 am

I'm looking for opinions and suggestions about active monitors. I'm looking at either the Mackie mr5 or the M-audio bx5a, and possible their bigger brothers, the mr8 and the bx8a. The M-audio is a bit cheaper, but both have favourable reviews.

On a related note. Upon browsing their specs, the mr8 and bx8a are both rated down to 40Hz. Do you think some extra EQ/voicing could bring up the remaining 4 notes down to 32Hz without too much distortion?

Also: the specs and look of these units is very similar. I wonder how different they could be inside. Any comment is appreciated.

toplayer2

Re: mr5 vs bx5a

PostSat Sep 18, 2010 10:05 am

Imre,

Between the Mackie and M-audio, I voted for the MR5 with the purchase of four pairs. For not much more than the MR8, you can pick up the HR824 (original US made, not Mk Ii) on eBay. The HR is far superior. I have purchased sixteen thru eBay for roughly $325 ea. I use the MRs for less important and less demanding ranks.

If you have in mind to use one pair only, I would definitely encourage you to go with the HR. It is very advantageous to use identical speakers for multi-channel arrays, so this may influence your decision. I personally would opt for one pair of HR vs four pairs of MR. The HR also has much better bass and could conceivably be used without a sub which is not the case for the others.

Joe

polikimre

Re: mr5 vs bx5a

PostSat Sep 18, 2010 4:29 pm

Thanks Joe,

thanks for you input. Ultimately I'm looking for 6 channels, possibly including a sub. Yes, I'd like to build it from identical units or at least units from the same manufacturer.

Return to Amplification