It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:54 pm

Multi-Channel, IMD (Dissonance), Terracing and Truly Virtual

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

solotibia

Multi-Channel, IMD (Dissonance), Terracing and Truly Virtual

PostThu Oct 14, 2010 12:27 am

I have found the recent threads which touched on the above to be very good reading.

There are many competing requirements for multi channel configurations - effective acoustic mixing, removal of dissonance, creating a soundfield that might mimic that which pipes might, creating the 'feel' of pipes, and most of all, creating the overall illusion of a pipe organ.

I consider some of these competing requirements. For instance, to remove the dreaded 3rds/5ths IMD/Dissonance, issue really requires that one moves to at least a 5 speaker group, and preferably a 12 speaker group (using cyclic ranks and octaves cycled). But, if I were to consider my installation, which currently stands at 39 channels (mostly 2 channel groups plus the aux and bass channels), I would then lose the ability to terrace the ranks.

Recently, the impending visit of an acclaimed organist, spurred me on to work more on the terracing of ranks. This paid immense dividends in achieving 'that' sound. However, if I were to move to larger multi channel groups, I lose the ability to do this as too many ranks would be in the same location. Of course, if I were to build a much larger music studio, and install 100 or so channels, then I could achieve what I am achieving now, but some IMD/dissonance (however, I might as well install the real thing instead!). The other aspect which would go MIA would be the ability to have all celestes physically removed from the same physical location as the unisons.

So, I am very hopeful that once V4.00 is released and bedded in that Martin will be able to wave his magic wand and come up with a hybrid cyclic outcome which will at least remove the most critical 3rds and 5ths in 2 channel groups. By "most critical" I mean those intervals where the ear is most sensitive from just below note 48 through to 72.

As an aside I have reconsidered my configuration using a mix of groups that are larger than 2 channels. It has been interesting. In more than one instance, to take say, four 2 channel groups with 8 ranks (two each) and turn them into a single 8 channel group, I lose acoustic mixing (they need to be too close together), and most especially, terracing, but gain IMD/dissonance improvement. So, far the latter has not been worth the loss of the former.

While I have been doing battle with the challenges of multi-channel, it has occurred to me, given the success of the Allen Q311, that maybe there is another way. The Allen Q311 uses a virtual soundscape into which pipes are postioned. To me, it is the most musical of all of the Allen theatre models. IMHO ,their multi channel theatre instruments fail, because they simply do not have enough channels to do the job, and they lose the effectiveness of the Lake Technology system (now owned by Dolby) which is utilised to deliver the Acoustic Portrait in the Q311 (as it works best in a stereo soundfield). So, stick with me, as I work this one through.................

The other reality for me, in the context of a VPO is that a high quality 3 way speaker clobbers the performance of a two way every time. Such that, a 4 speaker group of two ways, is not as effective on every audio front (except acoustic mixing) especially, timbral accuracy, mid range energy, authenticity (the 'illusion' again!) and so on. If I had the money all of my two ways would be replaced with 3 ways! But, where does it end?

And, so, if one were to take this to the absolute limit, I have to wonder whether it might be better to have a virtual pipe organ, in a completely virtual soundscape, and virtual space?

If one was to use all of the investment in a medium to large multi channel VPO running across, say 3 channels of very high quality 3 way speakers at the front, and at least 5 channels (inc. sub) for reverb, at the rear (so some two ways would survive!), might not this be a better way?

Could the dissonance issues be dealt with digitally? I don't know. Are they even an issue in this context?

Given the work done by some, like Paul Jacyk using just two channels and separate virtual chamber spaces which then feed into virtual reverb spaces, it seems to me, that having the ability for a HW user (as opposed to a HW Sample Set Creator) to place the ranks L - R and front to back (i.e. terracing) in a chamber, or multi chamber soundscape might be very effective. Would this be difficult to achieve in HW? I have no idea. But, as the facilities of an ODF permit the placement of pipes L to R within across a chest. It seems conceivable that front to back might also be. Is it?

Ian McLean

mdyde

Re: Multi-Channel, IMD (Dissonance), Terracing and Truly Virtual

PostThu Oct 14, 2010 5:22 am

Hello Ian,

Sorry - I'm afraid I don't have time for a comprehensive reply, but very briefly: putting each dry pipe (or a group of pipes) in a particular position in virtual space is the same thing as applying a separate impulse response (and convolver instance) to that pipe/group, which, from an acoustics point of view, is basically the same as using a wet sample set (both methods reproduce the unique pattern of room reflections for each pipe, allowing the brain to hear and process them as separate sound sources).

Wet sample sets (or dry sample sets with one impulse response/convolver instance per pipe) give effectively the same end result (from an acoustics point of view) as listening to a CD recording of a live organ.

Since most people find listening to a CD recording of a live organ via a single high-quality stereo pair of speakers or headphones acceptable (without finding IMD, phase addition/signal mixing, etc. particularly noticeable/unnatural/objectionable), then such a virtual organ should sound just as good through that same stereo pair of speakers/headphones.

Try searching the forum for terms like 'wet vs dry' and 'impulse response' - there have been lots of very lengthy discussions in the past on these things and hopefully those search terms should unearth some of them. E.g. here are a few:

http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=6498
http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=6927
http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6251&p=43410
http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2905
http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?t=2293

If you want to see for yourself whether you think that wet sampling or (almost equivalently) dry sampling with lots of separate impulse responses and convolution instances (ideally one per pipe, but the more the better) sounds as good to you as your dry multi-channel audio installation, maybe try installing one of the wet sample sets available on our downloads page, e.g. the trial version of the MDA Salisbury here:

http://www.hauptwerk.com/downloads/instrument-downloads/

You can use convolution (impulse response) reverb in Hauptwerk v3, but it will be much easier and quicker to configure in v4.0 (using the new Hauptwerk VST/AU Link), and support for convolution natively within Hauptwerk is planned for v4.1.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

solotibia

PostThu Oct 14, 2010 7:52 am

Hello Martin,

Thanks but no thanks to a wet 'straight' organ for comparison - I believe that the heavy trems make things much more difficult for a successful theatre organ outcome. Indeed, it is often said that trems 'make' a good theatre organ. 'Straight' organs do not have this monumental complication. So, to me, this would be an huite cuisine and dog food comparison (the choice of which is what is optional! Ha!)

If there was extant a 'wet' sampled theatre organ then that would be interesting as a comparison. However, I simply can't conceive how wet sampling a theatre organ could be successful (due to the trems) even if a suitable target could be agreed on (not easy!) and permissions to sample, granted. Of course, I would like to be proved wrong.

With regard to the impulse reverb for each pipe, as you wrote in one of your referred threads (many thanks for those) "To achieve a similar degree of realism in that respect with a modelled acoustic (dry + reverb) you would effectively need a separate convolution instance (or reverb unit) per pipe, and it will be a few years before computers or hardware are sufficiently powerful to manage that." So, I can see that I will simply have to wait for the technology to catch up, or a high quality wet sampled theatre organ arrives on the scene.

In the meantime......... it would seem that life will continue as it has before! Dissonance and all!

BTW, with regard to the IMD/dissonance issue, I find that if I turn off the wind supply and the trem filters that this artefact is much reduced.

I have tried many different values for the swell filters, and although the problem can be changed with different ODF values for the swells, it cannot be reduced to the same level as simply turning the HW swell filters off and changing the dB range. I have no idea why the wind supply could be upsetting matters as it does. It seems that this also be down to the values chosen by an ODF designer?

Cheers,

Ian

mdyde

PostThu Oct 14, 2010 9:12 am

Hello Ian,

Thanks but no thanks to a wet 'straight' organ for comparison - I believe that the heavy trems make things much more difficult for a successful theatre organ outcome. Indeed, it is often said that trems 'make' a good theatre organ. 'Straight' organs do not have this monumental complication. So, to me, this would be an huite cuisine and dog food comparison (the choice of which is what is optional! Ha!)

Yes - I appreciate the issue of trems (although the Salisbury sample set does actually have real sampled trems), and of course it's a completely different style of organ. I just meant that by trying a good wet-sampled organ you'd potentially be able to see whether you felt that it reduced/eliminated the specific issues that you have with dry sample sets and multi-channel audio (signal mixing, phase addition, beats, dissonances, subjective tones, conceivably IMD to some extent, or whatever.).

If it does, then it should be fair to say that a virtual acoustic (separate impulse responses/convolvers per pipe) should give you the same benefit for theatre organs.

Edit: P.S. Also listening to a CD recording of a real (live) theatre organ through a single stereo pair of speakers/headphones would potentially serve the same purpose. If that sounds good to you (in terms of signal mixing, phase addition, beats, dissonances, subjective tones, IMD, ...) then a wet sample set, or a dry sample set with one impulse response per pipe, should sound as good (assuming the same listening environment and levels).
Best regards, Martin.

toplayer2

PostThu Oct 14, 2010 11:01 am

Having already tried once to wet sample a theatre organ and having failed miserably, I concur with Ian that the problems may well be insurmountable. While sampling the entire organ is the norm for classical VPOs, the obstacles are very different for the theatre organ. A candidate would need to be a worthy organ, with essentially every pipe in perfect regulation, almost completely devoid of wind and mechanical noise both of which seem endemic for TPOs, and of course the organ would need to speak into a room with beautiful acoustics. Such an organ may exist somewhere. Perhaps the Albee WurliTzer now installed at the Cincinnati Music Hall by the great Ron Wehmeier? I will leave that to someone else.

As mentioned elsewhere, I am betting on a 2 x 12 array for direct signals supplimented with 9.1 channels of convovled reverb, borrowing from Ralph Glasgal's research. The proof will be in the eating.

Joe

solotibia

PostSat Oct 16, 2010 2:53 am

I was actually thinking of Ron's 4/33 residence Wurli!

Good luck with your approach. I will be very interested to read whether the celeste outcomes from your plan are effective. I do not have my celestes even in the same physical location as the unisons. They are usually opposite and offset from the unisons so that the unison/celeste mix occurs acoustically. Maybe the impulse reverb will make this a non issue?

Given that the hybrid algorithm remains a wish into the future, I have been spending time making the most offensive (in terms of dissonance) rank outcomes TM2 so that the entire instrument is effectively a combination of distribution algorithms. That has made a better than usable difference, especially when 16' and 8' of those ranks (like Tuba Mirabilis and Tuba Horn, etc) are tremmed concurrently.

In another thread, you wrote that your multi-channel work, so far, had demonstrated an increasing, or additive brightness the more channels that you added. This is not a problem that I have here with the dissonance issue. However, I have found some sample sets, and some ranks within other sets to have an overall 'glare' or 'glassiness' (for the want of better words), and that is but one reason why I mix and match.

I think that this glare is usually down to over processing (eg noise reduction, normalisation, etc). Whatever the reason, the combination of glassiness plus the dissonance issue, is simply so unpipelike for me, as to make any multi channel HW endeavour pointless. Thank God that there are a selection of sets and samples out there!

Interestingly, I have heard recordings of some of these glassy sets, where they were recorded direct to disk, together with gobs of reverb, sounding half decent. But, that's not my bag.

Also, are you running all of your connections to the Mackies balanced? With zero ground from the sound cards? That makes a huge difference to brightness outcomes in the audio domain. I've had this link on my website for a couple of years now - http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov02/a ... on1102.asp.

Cheers,

Ian

toplayer2

PostSat Oct 16, 2010 8:22 am

Ian,

solotibia wrote:I was actually thinking of Ron's 4/33 residence Wurli!

That would certainly be another great organ to sample, while the room is too dry IMO for a "wet" set, it would doubtless be a great source for dry ranks. Actually, I asked Ron for permission to record his organ, perhaps ten or twelve years ago. He was not keen, at least back then, on the idea of a digital simulation springing from his very fastidiously regulated pipework.

Good luck with your approach. I will be very interested to read whether the celeste outcomes from your plan are effective. I do not have my celestes even in the same physical location as the unisons. They are usually opposite and offset from the unisons so that the unison/celeste mix occurs acoustically. Maybe the impulse reverb will make this a non issue?

As I understand "Cyclic with octave, octaves and ranks cycled" to work, each rank in Rank ID sequence will be offset by one channel as the starting point of the round robin through the twelve channels. Therefore, if for example the VDO is ID 1 and the Viol Celeste is ID 2, they would never occupy the same channels at the same time.

In another thread, you wrote that your multi-channel work, so far, had demonstrated an increasing, or additive brightness the more channels that you added. This is not a problem that I have here with the dissonance issue. However, I have found some sample sets, and some ranks within other sets to have an overall 'glare' or 'glassiness' (for the want of better words), and that is but one reason why I mix and match.

Not additive brightness, it is what I call progressive "harshness" as more stops are layered in larger registrations. I hear this effect with all dry sampled organs that I have tried. Also, the more channels, ceteris paribus, the less harsh the sound. Sorry if I hadn't expressed that very clearly.

I think that this glare is usually down to over processing (eg noise reduction, normalisation, etc). Whatever the reason, the combination of glassiness plus the dissonance issue, is simply so unpipelike for me, as to make any multi channel HW endeavour pointless. Thank God that there are a selection of sets and samples out there!

I would certainly agree with your last point.

Interestingly, I have heard recordings of some of these glassy sets, where they were recorded direct to disk, together with gobs of reverb, sounding half decent. But, that's not my bag.

I'll take that as a sort of compliment :)

Also, are you running all of your connections to the Mackies balanced? With zero ground from the sound cards? That makes a huge difference to brightness outcomes in the audio domain. I've had this link on my website for a couple of years now - http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov02/articles/studioinstallation1102.asp.

Yes. Good article, by the way.

Best regards,
Joe

solotibia

PostSat Oct 16, 2010 9:13 pm

solotibia wrote:I was actually thinking of Ron's 4/33 residence Wurli!

That would certainly be another great organ to sample, while the room is too dry IMO for a "wet" set, it would doubtless be a great source for dry ranks. Actually, I asked Ron for permission to record his organ, perhaps ten or twelve years ago. He was not keen, at least back then, on the idea of a digital simulation springing from his very fastidiously regulated pipework.

But, in terms of having the ideal target instrument as the entire organ is desirable, with the empty acoustics of that room, I believe that there is more than enough to deliver the ideal 'wet' theatre organ outcome.

As I understand "Cyclic with octave, octaves and ranks cycled" to work, each rank in Rank ID sequence will be offset by one channel as the starting point of the round robin through the twelve channels. Therefore, if for example the VDO is ID 1 and the Viol Celeste is ID 2, they would never occupy the same channels at the same time.

This is true, but then the celestes will remain in the same physical location as the unisons, which, in my experience, is nowhere nearly as authentic as having the celestes physically separate.

I'll take that as a sort of compliment :)

This wasn't a criticism of your sets, as I find these glassy outcomes in every set, including Neil's. There are just much fewer of them in Neil's than any other, so far. Quite possibly because he had access to a number of quiet sampling scenarios which then required minimal post processing? However, as it seems that the vast majority of HW VTPO users throw copious amounts of reverb at their outcomes, then that seems to ameliorate, or cover over these cracks. But, that's not for me.

Wa waaing theatre organs in 'barns' (i.e. cathedral level reverb), is not, and has never been my cup of tea. I find that sound repugnant. It certainly works for 'straight' instruments, but then, that's because there are no heavy trems bouncing around the virtual reverb. Theatres with loads of velvet curtains and chairs never sounded like so many of these outcomes. My interest has always been the slightly live studio theatre pipe organ and some in-theatre instruments (eg. the Seattle Paramount) that maintain a very high degree of intelligibility, snap, and tightness. In other words, not scenarios where the final stop on the organ (the room) becomes the major stop which obliterates all else! If that 'barn' is the desired reverb outcome, why bother with high quality samples at all? Enough of my rant.

Cheers,

Ian

solotibia

PostTue Feb 15, 2011 9:04 pm

Joe Hardy wrote:

Not additive brightness, it is what I call progressive "harshness" as more stops are layered in larger registrations. I hear this effect with all dry sampled organs that I have tried. Also, the more channels, ceteris paribus, the less harsh the sound. Sorry if I hadn't expressed that very clearly.

Provided that the sample set itself is not inherently glary due to over processing, normalisation, etc., in amongst Martin's many responses on this forum to issues related to the extracting of maximum audio performance from HW and an audio device, the penny finally dropped. Since that epiphany, and my corresponding changes, I have not been bothered by any IMD/Dissonance, or harshness, call it what you will, for months now. I meant to reply earlier.

But! In my installation, the wind supply must be turned OFF. And, I do not use compressed "lossless" samples. Whatever occurs here, in the wilds of the sub-tropics (which is totally irrelevant!), to uncompress the samples, casts a layer of hardness over the entire instrument. Martin considers this to be a factor of my 4 core MacPRO being not up to the task, however, it seems to be unfussed by the load. The wind supply issue (on all of my TO sets) has been consistent across all TO sample sets since I moved to HW from GS3 regardless of hardware platform. BTW, I know of no one who has either the WS or uncompressed issue when using only two channel setups. However, everyone I know who has multi-channel HW TO setups, regardless of platform, turns off the WS for the same reasons that I do.

The WS issue could be a factor of TO sets ODF's not being specified correctly. As I am very happy with my current outcome, I am not about to look through the ODF(s) to discover whether this is an ODF design issue or not. With regard to the compressed/uncompressed situation. All that I can suggest is, that if you are running a multi-channel HW system which runs TO sets, try it, and see what happens in your environment. There is nothing to lose.

Ian McLean

mdyde

PostWed Feb 16, 2011 5:27 am

Hello Ian,

And, I do not use compressed "lossless" samples. Whatever occurs here, in the wilds of the sub-tropics (which is totally irrelevant!), to uncompress the samples, casts a layer of hardness over the entire instrument.

Just to stress once again:

Tthe compression is 100% loss-less, i.e. there is absolutely no difference in audio quality between loading a sample set compressed or uncompressed. The ZIP file format could be used as an analogy - you can ZIP a file, unZIP it again, and you will have exactly your original file back again; byte-for-byte.

Playback of a compressed audio sample will be 100% byte-for-byte identical to playback of the sample when loaded uncompressed, with all other factors equal.

If you can genuinely hear a difference between compressed and uncompressed samples (in a valid blind test) then that difference is definitely not due to the compression directly, i.e. it must be due to some indirect effect, such as the small additional CPU load resulting from decompressing the samples in real-time leaving slightly less CPU resources for other background tasks such as tremulant processing (in which case those other tasks will run at a lower resolution).

Anyway, whatever the reason, I'm glad to hear that you're happy with the results you're currently getting from your system.
Best regards, Martin.

solotibia

PostWed Feb 16, 2011 5:45 am

Thanks Martin,

We are in agreement!

However, I did fail to mention what caused the epiphany, and that was (probably paraphrasing you), to take the output of HW as high as possible (approach distortion and then back off I think you wrote somewhere).

So, for me that meant switching the sound devices from +4dbu to consumer (-10dbu), and then taking up the 14db difference in the overall HW output level. BIG difference in every respect. So, thank you!

Cheers,

Ian

Return to Amplification