It is currently Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:05 am

Sound card Ampliffication Speakers

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

Magister85

Sound card Ampliffication Speakers

PostFri Feb 11, 2011 10:12 am

Hello everyone, It 's for years that I plan to have Hauptwerk and these days I'm finally to crown my dream since I bought the advanced version of software. But now I need to figure out how to equip my system .. I state that I will use Hauptwerk especially for home use, but do not rule out occasionally to bring the entire system in the church where I play. I have several questions:

1. I have a RME 9632 sound card, I bought a few years ago at the suggestion of a website that gave as the best solution for Hauptwerk for that price range. My doubts about the outputs of this card, in fact I would like first of using Hauptwerk with two speakers and a subwoofer, but as I have money I would like to extend my system linking other cases, especially when the system will bring to church, to obtain a very good sound. Does anyone know how many releases have this card? Some of you use? I think he has only 2 outputs, but I think there is a module that provides other outlets ... Can someone clarify this?

2. As I said I do not know which speakers to use, I would like the speakers of good quality, because I want to enjoy the sound as similar to the pipe organ ... It 'best to take active or passive speaker? Consigliatemi ... I read that everyone speaks well of the Definitive 450, but these require an amplifier? If, on which amp I also recommended to take? Always consider that game with 2 speakers, but over time I would make the system more powerful and better ... Please, help me, to you the word

Grazie

Giuseppe Aci

organtechnology

Re: Sound card Ampliffication Speakers

PostFri Feb 11, 2011 12:56 pm

Giuseppe,

Here are the links to the RME site in English for the 9632 and the AO4S-192 4 channel out put cards. You can chain up to 4 of these for 16 channels out. They are about $300 in the US. There is also an AI4S-192 for inputs.

http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_hdsp_9632.php
http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_hds ... boards.php

Pax,

Thomas
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC or MAC Computer Sound MEngines, Dante Audio for Home or Church.
info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com

Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavedar Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

wurlitzerwilly

PostFri Feb 11, 2011 2:43 pm

Magister85 wrote:Hello everyone, It 's for years that I plan to have Hauptwerk and these days I'm finally to crown my dream since I bought the advanced version of software. But now I need to figure out how to equip my system .. I state that I will use Hauptwerk especially for home use, but do not rule out occasionally to bring the entire system in the church where I play. I have several questions:

1. I have a RME 9632 sound card, I bought a few years ago at the suggestion of a website that gave as the best solution for Hauptwerk for that price range. My doubts about the outputs of this card, in fact I would like first of using Hauptwerk with two speakers and a subwoofer, but as I have money I would like to extend my system linking other cases, especially when the system will bring to church, to obtain a very good sound. Does anyone know how many releases have this card? Some of you use? I think he has only 2 outputs, but I think there is a module that provides other outlets ... Can someone clarify this?

2. As I said I do not know which speakers to use, I would like the speakers of good quality, because I want to enjoy the sound as similar to the pipe organ ... It 'best to take active or passive speaker? Consigliatemi ... I read that everyone speaks well of the Definitive 450, but these require an amplifier? If, on which amp I also recommended to take? Always consider that game with 2 speakers, but over time I would make the system more powerful and better ... Please, help me, to you the word

Grazie

Giuseppe Aci

Hello Giuseppe.

At the risk of name dropping, I have been working for the past 3 days with Carlo Curley, who is mostly happy with what we have done so far and you may benefit from the recommendation.

The auditorium will hold around 200 people comfortably, but has a carpetted floor and a flat-ish ceiling which is lower than the average church.

The organ is 4 manuals with 6 divisions and 72 ranks.

We are using 4 x Delta 1010LT sound cards in conjunction with 22 Behringer TRUTH 2031A monitors. There is far more loudness than we need, so we have balanced accordingly. Using multiple speakers allows for better mixing and avoids distortion sometimes caused by mixing some samples electronically. At present 20 of the speakers are all 4 to 5 metres above the floor, facing directly forward towards the audience. There are also 2 Antiphonal speakers at the opposite end of the auditorium, at about the same height, which can carry the entire Solo division as required.

Carlo has recommended that we angle the speakers randomly upwards, downwards, and left right, so that sound is deliberately reflected. He says that this will help to remove any harshness and "in your face" sounds.

We have also found that although the speakers are capable of faithfully reproducing the 16' stops without over-driving, it was felt that they would benefit from some reinforcement, so two bass/mid frequency cabinets have been added, together with a 600 Watt amplifier. Sadly, none of the speakers is really capable of doing justice to the 32' stops, so we are in negotiation to purchase a pair of sub-woofers, probably originally of Allen origin. All of the bass speakers will be at floor height, about 2 metres forward of the Behringer speakers. We feel confident that the full ensemble will then be adequately reproduced.

I hope that may help you somewhat.

Regards,

Alan.

Magister85

PostFri Feb 11, 2011 3:17 pm

Forgive the ignorance, each box is connected to a channel? or in some cases are connected to a speaker 2 channels? Then, a technical opinion on the RME 9632? Sounds good or should I change it with something else that makes more with the Hauptwerk software? Tips seglie speakers??

wurlitzerwilly

PostFri Feb 11, 2011 4:11 pm

Magister85 wrote:Forgive the ignorance, each box is connected to a channel? or in some cases are connected to a speaker 2 channels? Then, a technical opinion on the RME 9632? Sounds good or should I change it with something else that makes more with the Hauptwerk software? Tips seglie speakers??

By 'box', if you mean Swell box, then each division (Swell box) is connected to several channels, depending on how many ranks need to be distributed. The rank samples are stereo, so each rank would occupy at least 2 channels and often more.

I would certainly advocate using a sound card with more than two channels, therefore multiple speakers, in an auditorium of any size over a domestic room.

Regards,

Alan.

Magister85

PostSat Feb 12, 2011 4:48 am

But I can connect up to four output modules? Why in the technical specifications of the extra module I found writing this:
3. Hardware Requirements
The AO4S-192 AIO can only be connected to the HDSP 9632. No more than one AO4S-192
can be connected to each card.

wurlitzerwilly

PostSat Feb 12, 2011 8:43 am

Magister85 wrote:But I can connect up to four output modules? Why in the technical specifications of the extra module I found writing this:
3. Hardware Requirements
The AO4S-192 AIO can only be connected to the HDSP 9632. No more than one AO4S-192
can be connected to each card.

Hello Giuseppe.

It really seems to depend on how many output channels you need and how much money you want to spend.

From their website, the RME cards are capable of up to 6 analogue outputs, by using the expansion cards.
If the RME cards were of exceptional quality over any other (which is doubtful in our context) then it might be worth doing it that way, but what appears to be $300 per card ($600 for 6 channels) is not good economics. For $1800 you would get 18 output channels and for less than that, you can buy a MOTU 24I/O which will give you 24 channels. Not only that, the MOTU is expandable to 96 channels!!!

To put it in perspective for a modest installation, the Delta 1010LT will give you the entire 8 channels in one card and cost >$200. There are other devices such as the E-MU series that would give you similar facilities for just a little more money.

I see no point in using one RME card and adding one limited expansion card taking 2 PCI slots at a cost of $600, unless it will give you stunningly exceptional results. Looking at the spec, it will give you good results, but not exceptional.

Regards,

Alan.

Magister85

PostSat Feb 12, 2011 9:14 am

Hello Alan, thank you the answers you give me always on time ... But if we were to speak only in sound quality regardless of the number of outlets, Motu 24 I / O is always the best choice? Anyway, to drive the speakers it would always be a passive amplifier?

Giuseppe

wurlitzerwilly

PostSat Feb 12, 2011 9:37 am

Magister85 wrote:Hello Alan, thank you the answers you give me always on time ... But if we were to speak only in sound quality regardless of the number of outlets, Motu 24 I / O is always the best choice? Anyway, to drive the speakers it would always be a passive amplifier?

Giuseppe

Hello Giuseppe.

The MOTU 24 I/O is a good choice if you need more than 10 channels in one device and expandability past 24 channels, but it is not a cheap one. :)
The other cards are probably better for your purpose and much cheaper.

I don't know of any PC sound card that has sufficient output to drive a loudspeaker directly.
You would always need either an amplifier for each speaker or powered speakers.
I personally mostly prefer powered speakers, because the amplifiers are matched to the drive unit and there is usually a known specification for the entire device. Behringer, Mackie and others all make powered monitors which give great results.

Regards,

Alan.

Return to Amplification