It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:05 am

What's your opinion on this sub connection?

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

1961TC4ME

What's your opinion on this sub connection?

PostThu Aug 11, 2011 2:00 pm

Hello all,

I am the recipient of a freebie subwoofer within the past few days and am doing a little pondering as to which way I would connect it to my set-up. Briefly, I am using an M Audio 1010LT going to separate home receivers for my multi-channel routing. I have the ability to create another separate channel on the soundcard to route to the sub. However, I am using 5/6 as a mixdown channel in my arrangement to one receiver, and I'm thinking instead of using up 7/8 for the sub, I would instead save it for future expansion.

What I'm instead thinking is just pull a L / R line from the "record out" off the back of the receiver that is on the soundcards mixdown line to feed the sub.

The sub has an adjustable cross-over, so I'm thinking it probably isn't going to make too big of a difference in sound by creating a separate line from the soundcard and routing pedal ranks to it vs. just taking a line off the back of the receiver to go to the sub.

Thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance,

Marc
Last edited by 1961TC4ME on Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doug S.

Re: What's your opinion on this sub connection?

PostThu Aug 11, 2011 4:06 pm

Mark,
I'm using the built in crossover in mine. I wish it could be adjusted firther into higher frequencies....Not a lot, but I'd like a little more boost beyond 400hz
Doug

1961TC4ME

PostThu Aug 11, 2011 4:14 pm

Hi Doug,

So are you sending the entire signal (all of the organ) to the sub and then adjusting the cross-over, or are you sending just certain ranks to the sub? I'm thinking I can get away with just sending everything to the sub off the back of the receiver connected to the mixdown line, and then use the crossover vs. creating a separate line and sending certain ranks to the sub, thus saving 7/8 for something else.

Marc

Doug S.

PostThu Aug 11, 2011 4:51 pm

Marc,
I have a klipsch SW and the connections are daisy chained..From the amp to the sub to the main speakers for that channel.
Doug
Doug

1961TC4ME

PostTue Aug 16, 2011 3:37 pm

I decided to save the channels on the 1010LT for future expansion and took a line off the "record out" on the back of the receiver that is connected to mixdown to go to the sub. With a little fine tuning of the cross-over it works great!

Marc

Return to Amplification