It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:27 am

Basic Hauptwerk Voicing

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

JRohr

Basic Hauptwerk Voicing

PostThu Sep 01, 2011 10:45 am

Hello everyone,
I consider myself a relative newbie to the organ, although I can find my way around ok. I am trying to voice the Hereford 46 stop. Being extremely new to trying to voice a sample set I was hoping someone may have a few basic rules of thumb on how high to voice stops/ divisions in relative to the rest of the organ. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Joe

micdev

Site Admin

Re: Basic Hauptwerk Voicing

PostThu Sep 01, 2011 11:00 am

Joe,

Have a look at Hauptwerk Installation and User Guide available here pages 171+

Now, know that the instrument "out of the box" is usually voiced correctly, ranks balanced correctly. Of course, your audio system, room, your hearing (aren't we all getting older every day!) and personal taste can affect the end result and you may want to tweak the amplitude and brightness.

Should you tweak too much and after a while find that you don't like the sound, no worry, you can always reset everything. So give it a try and experiment a bit

Most of my voicing is done on ranks from the pedal division and long (16') manual divisions. Usually the lower octave and a half, because of the room and standing waves, need adjustments, some notes being way too loud while you can hardly hear others notes. Brightness can also be used... with moderation :wink:

Let you ears guide you...

Good luck
François
Best regards
François

Virtually sharing my enthusiasm and experience with you
Worldwide technical assistance, consultation and ready to play system.

http://www.HauptwerkConsultant.com

AND Hauptwerk Support Manager

mdyde

PostThu Sep 01, 2011 3:13 pm

(Topic moved here.)
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

ajt

PostThu Sep 01, 2011 3:43 pm

JRohr wrote:Hello everyone,
I consider myself a relative newbie to the organ, although I can find my way around ok. I am trying to voice the Hereford 46 stop. Being extremely new to trying to voice a sample set I was hoping someone may have a few basic rules of thumb on how high to voice stops/ divisions in relative to the rest of the organ. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

First question is: What is it about the Hereford that doesn't sound right to you? Out of the box, it sounds fantastic to me, but you might be trying to achieve something specific. If so, what is it?
Adrian

JRohr

PostFri Sep 02, 2011 8:17 pm

I was thinking of bumping up the swell volume. I guess i'm trying to figure out how far i can go before it sounds abnormal. Overall the sound is fantastic. I needed to do some adjustments like francos suggested with the base pedals. Atleast my windows don't rattle now. :D

Joe

engrssc

PostSat Sep 03, 2011 2:59 pm

Organorak

PostSat Sep 03, 2011 4:05 pm

Evidently what you are asking is a pretty common question asked by Hauptwerk users, given that almost 25,000 people have watched that clip. Wow, does this mean that 25,000 Hauptwerk users have already tried doing this? That's more people than have ever watched clips of me playing the organ on you-tube (slinks away, tail between legs)....

JRohr

PostSat Sep 03, 2011 11:16 pm

Well for the record I have been using using those controls. The controls were never the question. Let me ask the question in a different way. For the ideal organ, in terms of loudness can an open swell organ be as loud as the great. or where should it be.? I don't mean comparison as far as fullness sounding. I do want to say thanks to everyone who posted links or attempted help.

ajt

PostSun Sep 04, 2011 3:32 am

There's no rules or guidelines. As Daniel Cook (currently assistant organist at Salisbury, but about to move) said on another thread; whilst Salisbury and Hereford are the same builder, the two swell divisions are quite different in terms of their volume/presence in the building. Salisbury is almost a match for the great, box open, whereas Hereford is rather more distant - it can still be heard with full great, but it's less prominent, and with the box shut, can pretty much hide away unheard.

So I guess what I'm saying is; voice it how *you* like it :-)
Adrian

JRohr

PostSun Sep 04, 2011 11:26 am

Thanks.....problem solved. :D

Return to Amplification