It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:08 am

Pedal octave 3, cannot activate F# and G in set-up

Please note: we can't provide official support for the Free Edition, but other users might be able to help you here.
  • Author

Bjørnssp

Pedal octave 3, cannot activate F# and G in set-up

PostWed Oct 23, 2019 5:28 am

Hi

I have used Hauptwerk free edtion for more than a year with 2 manuals using a home built scanner based on an Arduino Due. Everything has been working fine and I really enjoy playing St. Anne's Moseley organ on Hauptwerk.

I have just finished making a 32 note pedalboard and it works fine except I cannot activate the 2 top notes F# and G in octave 3 on the Hauptwerk keyboard setup.

If I deactivate the notes in octave 3 from F and down to C, in the keyboard set-up for the pedals, Hauptwerk responds accordingly, by not playing the notes, going back up again the last note that I can activate is F. I can see that the LED on the Roland UM-1 interface light up for the "missing notes" of F# and G when played, but Hauptwerk does not respond. There is no reason, for me, to assume that the codes sent by the Arduino for F# and G in octave 3, are not the correct ones since it is generated by the same sub routine as for the manuals.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Bjørn

organsRgreat

Re: Pedal octave 3, cannot activate F# and G in set-up

PostWed Oct 23, 2019 6:02 am

I just had a quick look at a photo of the St. Anne's console, and so far as I can see, the pedalboard only goes up to F. If that is the case no samples would be provided for top F# and G.

smfrank

PostWed Oct 23, 2019 6:53 am

The available notes in a particular sample set have no bearing on defining the range of a keyboard. You should be able to auto-detect the entire keyboard, or just a portion.
Steve
Steven Frank

dhm

PostWed Oct 23, 2019 1:22 pm

smfrank wrote:The available notes in a particular sample set have no bearing on defining the range of a keyboard. You should be able to auto-detect the entire keyboard, or just a portion.
Steve

That may well be so, but if there are no pipes for those notes in real life, and the sample-set producer hasn’t added those missing samples, you won’t get any sound from those two notes.
The same would apply if you had a 61-note physical keyboard, but the manual compass in real life was only 56 or 58 notes.
Douglas Henn-Macrae
Authorized Hauptwerk Reseller
http://www.midi-organs.eu

IainStinson

PostWed Oct 23, 2019 4:52 pm

You can make use of the midi input from the console keys which are not used by the organ (for example the top G of a 32 note pedal board when playing a sample set which supports 30 notes) as a midi switch inputs.
I occasionally play HW using an 88 note electronic keyboard and use the top /bottom part of the keyboard (outside the 61 notes used by the sample set) to control stops. Not elegant - but practically quite effective.

Iain

magnaton

PostWed Oct 23, 2019 8:59 pm

Bjørnssp wrote:Hi
I have just finished making a 32 note pedalboard and it works fine except I cannot activate the 2 top notes F# and G in octave 3 on the Hauptwerk keyboard setup.

A simple test using St. Anne Mosley is to re-AutoDetect the Great (or Swell) manual but use the pedalboard as input device. When asked to play lowest note, then the highest, respond with low C and high G of the pedalboard. Test your top 2 pedal notes, then AutoDetect again to return the manuals & pedalboard back to normal.

Correct the St. Anne Mosley pedalboard stops at F.

Danny B.

Bjørnssp

PostThu Oct 24, 2019 2:01 am

Thanks for all the replies!

I have so far only tried auto-detect for the pedals and that did not change the situation, F# and G still not playing.

Will try the other suggestions and report back,

Thanks again.

Bjørn

NickNelson

PostThu Oct 24, 2019 11:56 am

Bjørnssp wrote: There is no reason, for me, to assume that the codes sent by the Arduino for F# and G in octave 3, are not the correct ones since it is generated by the same sub routine as for the manuals.

This is almost certainly true, but you could check it outside of Hauptwerk by using one of the (free) MIDI monitor programs to look at what is actually being sent by the pedalboard and encoder. I use 'Bome SendSX',
but there are others. If the encoder sends the right messages when you press and release the F# and G pedals then all is well.

However, using the St Annes organ in Hauptwek you still won't hear anything as others have correctly explained. To rephrase the advice already given, in the hope that it may make things clearer, you need to remember that pressing a pedal doesn't generate a sound of itself, it just sends an instruction to HW asking the software to play the sound of that note if it can.

The St. Annes organ doesn't have the top F# and G in the pedal divison, so neither does the HW version of it. Pressing or releasing either of these notes (on your pedal board) will send the messages to HW asking it to turn these notes on or off, but since the notes don't exist in St Annes, HW can't oblige and simply ignores the request.

You hear no sound because there is no sound to hear (for this organ anyway).

Nick

Bjørnssp

PostSun Nov 03, 2019 7:43 am

Hi

And thanks for the new replies, I have tried to auto-detect pedal board as a manual, and then set it back to pedal but it st ill does not produce any sound for F# and G in 3 rd octave. Sounds like a good idea to use these extra input possibilities for something else, until I come accross an organ with 32 pedal notes.
Also thanks for pointing me to the Bome SendSX.
Best regards
Bjørn

RichardW

PostMon Nov 04, 2019 5:51 am

To get the top two pedal keys to work you will need to use an organ that has the top two notes recorded.

My understanding is that St Anne's organ only has 30 pedal pipes per rank so pipes 31 an 32 cannot be played because they do not exist.
Richard

Return to Free Edition support (users supporting users)