It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:11 am

Please I need help with the Keyboard Setup/Auto detect

Please note: we can't provide official support for the Free Edition, but other users might be able to help you here.
  • Author

jeremalian

Please I need help with the Keyboard Setup/Auto detect

PostFri Aug 03, 2012 12:54 pm

Hello guys,
I just got a USB Midi Interface to test my hauptwerk. The problem I am having however is that when I connect the midi interface to the keyboard and my computer, I am not able to get hauptwerk to recognize the keys.
The midi interface installed properly on my computer but when I run hauptwerk and try to use the auto detect to recognize the keys on the midi keyboard it hauptwerk doesn't recognize that I am actually pressing the keyboard.

I followed the instructions pressing the lowest key on the keyboard and then the highest key on the keyboard, followed by other keys but the "done" button doesn't highlight.

I am wondering if there is something I am supposed to do on the keyboard also. Already I have tested 4 Midi keyboards and non seems to work. You can see a sample of my midi interface at http://www.cnesmart.com/uploads/mypic/p ... iCable.jpg . I plug the midi in of the cable to the midi out of the keyboard and the midi out of the cable to the midi in of the keyboard.

I will appreciate any help I can receive from yall so I can start to enjoy hauptwerk

Thanks

B. Milan

Site Admin

Re: Please I need help with the Keyboard Setup/Auto detect

PostFri Aug 03, 2012 1:12 pm

[Topic moved]

Please check that you have enabled your MIDI port in General settings | MIDI ports. Tick your device under the Console MIDI IN column. If your MIDI port is not selected then no MIDI data will come into Hauptwerk and therefore the Auto-detect will not work either.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

jeremalian

PostTue Aug 07, 2012 1:18 pm

Thanks Brent,
I already did that, the problem is the Midi interface has 3 lights, a red, orange and a green light. The interface never turns green thats why I was wondering if there was something I had to do with the keyboard.

The keyboard also still sounds when I am connected,I was thinking the keyboard sound will be silent if it is sending Midi. Thanks

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostTue Aug 07, 2012 1:27 pm

It sounds like the keyboard isn't sending MIDI output then for some reason. You will need to refer to the user manual for it if you have one to see if there is a specific setting to enable MIDI output.

Generally any MIDI keyboard that also sends its own sound output will not auto-mute when a MIDI cable is attached, you will need to turn the volume down on the keyboard itself if you don't want to hear its own audio output. Perhaps you are thinking of plugging in headphones and a device will auto-mute for its speakers, but it doesn't work like this with MIDI.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

NickNelson

PostTue Aug 07, 2012 1:29 pm

The green light may indicate MIDI out activity. If so, it won't light unless you are using the interface to send (rather than just receive) MIDI messages.

Nick

1961TC4ME

PostTue Aug 07, 2012 4:33 pm

Brett has already covered the bases on most of things I would try, and if it's showing up in the MIDI ports on HW, it's certainly there and being detected, but here's a few other ideas.

When you initially installed this device, did your computer confirm that it had detected a new device and that it had install properly? I don't know what computer platform you are using but I would check to see if it's installed and selected for use (generally found in the computers control panel somewhere under devices).

Second, I would first turn on the computer, then turn on they keyboard (unless it's USB powered and turns on by itself) *before* you start HW. If the keyboard has an on / off switch, after the first successful run you will have to turn it on before you start HW anyways or HW will tell you a MIDI device has not been detected. I have accidentally shut off one of my keyboards after starting HW, and HW will not recognize it after this even with the device ticked and showing up in *MIDI IN ports* and the keyboard turned back on. I have to close HW, turn the keyboard back on, then re-start HW to get things working again.

Could it be a simple matter of having the MIDI in and out connections between the device and the keyboard backwards? The only other idea I would have is maybe try just connecting the MIDI out from the keyboard to the MIDI in on the device and leave the other alone.

I'm editing / adding here: Under general settings / MIDI ports there's a MIDI IN ports and a MDI OUT ports tab. Under the MIDI IN ports tab in your situation (just a keyboard connected) all the boxes under *Console MIDI IN* should be checked. Under the MIDI OUT ports tab everything should be uncheked. Now that I look at things, I'm guessing this is likely where the problem is. Give it a try and I hope that works.

Marc

engrssc

PostTue Aug 07, 2012 10:34 pm

You try either MIDI Ox http://www.midiox.com (Windoz) or MIDI Monitor http://www.snoize.com/MIDIMonitor (Mac)

Rgds,
Ed

The Gargantuan

PostWed Sep 12, 2012 12:59 pm

Edit: I'm using a Mac, and checked: Applications -> Utilities -> Audio MIDI setup, and I am able to test MIDI IN/OUT for all notes on my 88-key Kurzweil PC1X. (I only want the 61 note range from low C to high C for the hauptwerk system) No octave shifts or anything on the Kurzweil side.

I too am having issues setting up my midi controller in the keyboard setup.

I can only get the setup/auto detect and get the keyboard to play up to 2 octaves.

I go in to adjust the settings, and set it to the low ped/61 key C, then to the high 61 C key and it stops. As long as the lowest note setting and highest note setting are within 2 octaves of each other, I can get it to work. I've gotten it to work from low ped/61 key C to middle C, or from middle C to high C(61 key), but nothing for larger than two octaves.

Any suggestions? I might make some screen shots this evening when I get home if you think that would help.

The Gargantuan

PostWed Sep 12, 2012 10:17 pm

Tonight, I swapped out MIDI cables, and that didn't seem to be the issue.

I did an Auto Detect Keyboard settings for both the Great and Swell in different places on the keyboard. I played the C two octaves below middle C, and the high C 3 octaves above middle C; then played a few soft keys followed by fast repeating notes in between "the C's". I did notice that while I was doing this, "Done" did not light up as an option. The exception for this, was when I played notes within the range of an octave; then "Done" light up on the auto detect.

I took some screen shots of the settings that were the result of this auto detect, will get those up once I activate photobucket or something...

Thanks in advance,
Tom

Return to Free Edition support (users supporting users)