It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:08 am

I'm a new user....need help please

Please note: we can't provide official support for the Free Edition, but other users might be able to help you here.
  • Author

tunnell

I'm a new user....need help please

PostMon Aug 20, 2012 11:31 pm

I have just discovered Hauptwerk a couple of weeks ago. I have downloaded the free version to my laptop which appears to meet the requirements for the program. I do have some questions if someone will please assist me...
1 - the programs seems to have downloaded o.k. and i can load the moseley organ, however i cannot get the moseley organ to make any sound via the virtual keyboard through my computer speakers....does that mean that it did not download properly ?
2 - I am also trying to connect it to my Johannus Opus 10. (which i expect won't work anyway if the mosely won't play on the computer to start with). anyway, I have no idea which if the 3 midi ports i am suppose to use for the johannus. I have a midi to usb cable. the midi end of it has 2 midi connections, one says "in" the other says "out". my johannus midi ports say midi in, midi mod, midi seq......which one goes where and which one would be left empty?. i can guess at where the usb port goes and i have read to connect my organ to computer before i open hauptwerk (although i haven't actually tried that yet). i have also read things like "connect the midi in from the midi keyboard to the midi out on the computer and vise versa.....but how can i do that when i only have the one usb plug to connect to my computer ? do i have to "tell" my computer what to do with the midi cable ?

You can probably guess that I am not technologically savy at all...this is my first time to ever download anything anywhere near this complex and it is also the first time i have every even dreamed of using the midi connections on my johannus.

Thanks very much for anyone's help.

ggoode_sa

Re: I'm a new user....need help please

PostTue Aug 21, 2012 2:05 am

Hi,

1) If you can see the organ on the screen then you have downloaded everything just fine. As you can't hear anything it means that the Audio Setup is not connecting properly to your audio hardware. Are you using Windows 7? Very often with Windows 7 the audio driver tries to share the sound device across applications (windows sounds, etc.) and so the audio device is 'not ready' when Hauptwerk loads. We'll need more information about your computer and audio device in order to help you.
2) From an online Johannus Quick Reference Guide PDF:

MIDI IN: An input for receiving MIDI codes from other devices.
MIDI MOD: A programmable MIDI output for connecting a module or
expander, for example.
MIDI SEQ: A non-programmable MIDI output for connecting a sequencer or
PC (with the optional Johannus Intonat program), for example.

So both MOD-out and SEQ-out are MIDI-OUT jacks, but the MIDI MOD output can be customized using your Johannus menu system (Hauptwerk is easily configured for whatever MIDI messages are being sent, so I would use the MIDI SEQ port).

You will need to configure Hauptwerk to use your USB-MIDI device. In the Hautpwerk menu select General settings -> MIDI ports, then activate the USB-MIDI cable by clicking on the Console MIDI In check box for it. Connect your USB-MIDI Out port to the Johannus MIDI In port and the USB-MIDI In port to the Johannus MIDI SEQ port. Then right click on a manual on the St Annes console and select the auto detect MIDI messages option, play the lowest and highest note on the that Manual on the Johannus and see if Hauptwerk has received the MIDI messages (the Done button will be activated). If you don't get any messages then let us know.

Kind regards,
GrahamG
Johannesburg, South Africa

tunnell

PostWed Aug 22, 2012 3:02 pm

thank you for your response.

the laptop i am using has windows vista home edition. can you tell me how to properly connect my audio hardware?

also, i discovered while searching through the hauptwerk user guide something about a "midi yoke"..page 17....so do i have to download that before the midi will work with my computer ?
if so, on the midi yoke website that the user guide sends you to, their midi yoke download is apparently not compatible with windows vista.

on a side note........if you think things might work better for me, i could possible download hauptwerk to my wife's laptop which uses windows 7, but has 64 bit windows (whatever that really means i have no idea - i'm not sure if my computer has 32 or 64 bit windows or not).....anyway the midi yoke also says it doesn't work for 64 bit windows ??

so, i am basically asking how can i get the laptop to work with the midi cable?

thank you for any assistance.

ggoode_sa

PostFri Aug 24, 2012 1:28 am

Hi,

I've sent you a personal message in regard to getting the audio working.

In regard to MID Yoke, you should not need it as a USB-MIDI cable from your Johannus to the computer will be recognized by Hauptwerk. MIDI-OX, on the other hand (an application that displays the midi signals coming in from a MIDI device) may be useful.

Kind regards,
GrahamG

Return to Free Edition support (users supporting users)