It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:21 am

finally got it to work but notes are sticking

Please note: we can't provide official support for the Free Edition, but other users might be able to help you here.
  • Author

tunnell

finally got it to work but notes are sticking

PostSat Sep 15, 2012 12:14 am

i finally got my hauptwerk working with my johannus opus 10 tonight. it sounds really good. my auto detect seemed to work just fine. (except for my creshendo pedal, but i'm not too worried about that.)....

i am having a problem that will be a real bummer if someone can't tell me how to fix it....i am only using the moseley organ right now (i'm very new to hauptwerk and just started trying it out ). if i have stops "pulled" on the swell organ, notes seem to get stuck, they get stuck on the swell as well as the great even if they are not coupled. i can even be playing the great manual (with no couplers engaged) but if stops are pulled on the swell, notes will stick on the great. (seems to be happening with the pedal too)......notes will stick on both manuals regardless of which one i am playing

if i play ONLY using great and/or pedal stops, everything works fine....but if i pull even just 1 swell stop (even with no couplers) the sticking notes start up.

i hope that wasn't too confusing.

thanks.

Owen Jones

Re: finally got it to work but notes are sticking

PostSat Sep 15, 2012 1:15 am

[quote="tunnell"]i finally got my hauptwerk working with my johannus opus 10 tonight. it sounds really good. my auto detect seemed to work just fine. (except for my creshendo pedal, but i'm not too worried about that.)....

i am having a problem that will be a real bummer if someone can't tell me how to fix it....i am only using the moseley organ right now (i'm very new to hauptwerk and just started trying it out ). if i have stops "pulled" on the swell organ, notes seem to get stuck, they get stuck on the swell as well as the great even if they are not coupled. i can even be playing the great manual (with no couplers engaged) but if stops are pulled on the swell, notes will stick on the great. (seems to be happening with the pedal too)......notes will stick on both manuals regardless of which one i am playing

if i play ONLY using great and/or pedal stops, everything works fine....but if i pull even just 1 swell stop (even with no couplers) the sticking notes start up.

i hope that wasn't too confusing.

thanks.[/quote]

[b][i]I and probably many others have had this problem; could you show the list your computer specs and MIDI interface also any midi code; might help in solving this problem[/i][/b]

organtechnology

PostSat Sep 15, 2012 10:26 am

tunnell,

Most 'sticky note' problems, if they are not mechanical in nature, are a function of the MIDI configuration or misconfiguration. I have seen having a feedback loop cause this exact problem. To check this, connect only the MIDI OUT from your keyboards or console the computer running Hauptwerk. If this fixes the problem then it was a MIDI feedback loop. If this does not solve the problem, it may be that the MIDI data is being corrupted by having to much information going down one cable. The expression pedals are usually the culprit here but some keyboards also spew too much data from on-board continuous controls or the like.

Although many people are successful at daisy chaining their keyboards it is best to have a MIDI port for each keyboard or expression pedal. We recommend the M-audio four MIDI port to USB or the MOTU Microlite which has 5 ports. The inexpensive M-Audio UNO has very little buffering and should be avoided.
Let us know what you find with these adjustments and do tell us more about your setup and connections.

Pax,

Thomas
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

tunnell

PostSat Sep 15, 2012 11:10 pm

my computer is pretty much the minimal
it has 32 bit windows vista
2.0 RAM
pentium (r) dual core cpu
(all of which means very little to me and just about all that i know, i learned while trying to get my hauptwerk to work these past few weeks.....i am a technological moron)

i am using a hosa technology tracklink midi to usb interface, which you are suppose to just plug into the organ and computer and go...

i am also using a johannus opus 10. with has 1 midi in port and 2 midi out ports (midi seq ans midi mod). through much research on this forum and the internet....i had read to use the midi seq for my out connection on a johannus.

i haven't had a chance today to touch my organ and try your suggestions but hopefully i will tomorow. thank you very much fo.r your help

Owen Jones

PostSun Sep 16, 2012 3:05 am

[quote="tunnell"]my computer is pretty much the minimal
it has 32 bit windows vista
2.0 RAM
pentium (r) dual core cpu
(all of which means very little to me and just about all that i know, i learned while trying to get my hauptwerk to work these past few weeks.....i am a technological moron)

i am using a hosa technology tracklink midi to usb interface, which you are suppose to just plug into the organ and computer and go...

i am also using a johannus opus 10. with has 1 midi in port and 2 midi out ports (midi seq ans midi mod). through much research on this forum and the internet....i had read to use the midi seq for my out connection on a johannus.

i haven't had a chance today to touch my organ and try your suggestions but hopefully i will tomorow. thank you very much fo.r your help[/quote]

[b][i]From my experience, Vista gave me heaps of trouble, so I switched to Win7 Home Premium 32 bit and then to 64 bit; To run some of these organs, reasonably trouble free, one needs a CPU i7 4core, 8 threads and at least 16gigs of memory. BTW Pentium wasn't a good performer for me.
Stop and keyboard midi messages should be fed through separate ports.
I was using a i5 CPU, on full registration, the organ would go out of tune and the trems would stop, hence, the switch to the larger CPU. There is more detail on my website.
[/i][/b]

joeroberts

PostSun Sep 16, 2012 11:40 am

in addition to the other great suggestions:
here's what worked for me when I was first setting up and even once in a while now.....(considering all the periherals , variables and constant experimenting , tweeking etc).....restart (RE-BOOT) ALL elctronic equipment (organ, amps, computer etc) from time to time.....this may kinda re-set certain things that i have no clue to...lol
also disable any direct or indirect internet access if you're using a multi-purpose computer while your doing hauptwerk stuff....uninvited downloads seem to want to interfere when you least need it.....J.R.
Last edited by joeroberts on Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

organtechnology

PostSun Sep 16, 2012 7:36 pm

tunnell,

If that 2.0 RAM means 2 GB of RAM, upgrade to 4GB as that is the maximum you can use in a 32 bit computer and is an adequate number for Hauptwerk and Windows.

The MIDI interface is unknown to me but I am suspicious of it.

Pax,

Thomas
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com

Owen Jones

PostSun Sep 16, 2012 7:49 pm

[quote="organtechnology"]tunnell,

If that 2.0 RAM means 2 GB of RAM, upgrade to 4GB as that is the maximum you can use in a 32 bit computer and is an adequate number for Hauptwerk and Windows.

The MIDI interface is unknown to me but I am suspicious of it.

Pax,

Thomas[/quote]
[b][i]Did a Google search, it is sold by many outlets; couldn't find any reviews on it.[/i][/b]

jkinkennon

PostSun Sep 16, 2012 9:14 pm

I just googled "johannus opus 10 midi" and found the Opus 10 User Manual at http://www.johannus.com/static/uploads/downloads/UM_Opus_EN.pdf.
I found the instructions difficult to follow, but it was clear that there was more involved than just plugging the organ into a computer. I'm not sure there's a good shortcut to just sitting down with the console, the user manual, and MidiOx and trying to work through their instructions.

If I had access to a Johannus console I'd gladly look into this in depth. Perhaps an existing Johannus user will come forward with simple instructions for setting up the console.

I'd be suspicious of that MIDI/USB adapter as well just because so many of these basic units are apparently poorly programmed. On the other hand I own a Yamaha UX16 that looks the same and has worked well.

organtechnology

PostSun Sep 16, 2012 10:25 pm

Hi John,

Thanks for finding the Johannus manual. I think it tells me that the MIDI SEQ is the output plug to be connected. That should send everything to the computer (at least that is what it says.) The programming of the MIDI stops are for an Ahlborn expander type device.

Pax,

Thomas

rhedgebeth

PostMon Sep 17, 2012 8:31 am

AFAIK re: Johannus Opus models, in a nutshell:
  • Stop tablets are all programmable, regardless of original function, auto detect should work
  • Expression pedals should auto detect
  • Pistons do not send MIDI messages, only resulting stop changes
  • Ditto Crescendo
  • General Cancel sends multiple messages (including closing expression) that will get things out of sync, do not use
  • Use inbuilt combination action, except cancel as noted

MIDI implementation can be found at this direct link: http://www.westminsterorganworks.com/pdf/JohannusOpus10.pdf
Richard S Hedgebeth
Westminster Organ Works
Authorized Hauptwerk reseller
http://Westminsterorganworks.com

Return to Free Edition support (users supporting users)